Monday, April 21, 2008

The Road not Taken (& other thoughts on a quiet Monday evening)

617D5C2B848A9C67_3417_0[1]

 

A couple days ago I was chatting with my friend Mike (a single guy, like me) & he remarked about it being a beautiful day, but it left him feeling melancholy. 

I was a little surprised at his candor, but I appreciated it just the same; I was feeling that way too.  Sometimes that blue sky and warm air just makes things that much more difficult when you're alone, have no plans & really have no place else to go. 

Does everyone experience this?  Later, he sent me this, which cheered me up: 

"It's funny, the skies became overcast here and I started to feel better... am I Barnabas Collins?   In reality, for every couple spooning on a blanket in a park somewhere, there's another poor slob spending his life away today in Wal-Mart with a wife and three squalling kids!"

I must confess, when it began to rain in my neck of the woods--my mood lightened considerably.  Misery loves company, I suppose; even if you're unsure who the company is.

I should probably face facts & admit that my mom was right: I chose to remain single.  We used to argue over this; I'd insist it was just the way things worked out, and she'd say "No Doug, you could've been married by now if you wanted to.  But I LIKE that you stayed single; you have your own space, and live life the way YOU want to.  I hope you keep it that way." 

I'd maintain otherwise, she'd just smile & shake her head.  Of course I've often wondered what my life would be like if I had married 10-15 years ago, raised a son or daughter or both… but now, in my mid-40s...I think I've finally accepted that I'm okay with how things turned out.  (Most of the time, that is.)  Ah well.

617D5C2B848A9C67_3417_2[1]Speaking of Bachelor Living...

I've been telling my sister Shawn (and myself) for the last couple years that I need to get my place fixed up.  Why am I living with all these bare walls?  So I think I'll be getting this for above the sofa; I've been looking for something 'artsy', abstract, earthy.  I like it.

And as soon as I get up the nerve to buy it, I'm going to replace my traditional small coffee table with a dramatic black leather squared table; hey you only live once, right?!

Meanwhile, at the office...nobody's there

617D5C2B848A9C67_3417_3[1]

A few weeks ago when we were informed at my job that we'd have the option of working from home soon, no one believed it.  (After all, we were one of the last companies downtown that still wore dress clothes while the rest of downtown was business casual; you remember these things!)  But sure enough, the work from home policy began last week & my group began doing just that.

We were split into 2 teams--Team A works from home Thurs & Fri, & Team B on Mon & Tues (with the occasional shift-around).  Everyone reports to the office on Wednesday.  (I'm on Team A.)  

617D5C2B848A9C67_3417_4[1]

 

Here's me in the mid-90s, my first IT gig

 

The 'pros' are pretty obvious (at least to me); I can sleep in an extra 30-40 minutes.  I don't have to shave, get dressed & go running for an overcrowded bus.  I get to drink my own coffee.  (And I've attempted to maintain a 'business sense' while here; no tv or radio, and at noon I dressed & walked up the street for lunch.)  617D5C2B848A9C67_3417_5[1]

 

But the cons were a little surprising--a nagging feeling that I was "left out of the loop" with things, or that I was getting away with something.  (Plus it was awfully quiet in here.)  This may sound dumb, but I rather missed that feeling of satisfaction you get from finally arriving home after a day's work & shutting that door behind you; all I did here was shut down my laptop & turn on the tv.  

I wonder how long this policy is going to remain in place?

 

I just hope my apartment doesn't start feeling even smaller than that tiny cubicle... goodnight.

617D5C2B848A9C67_3417_6[1]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.