Sunday, April 14, 2013

Sweet Garlic Chicken: Is it too good to be true? (I’m about to find out)

 

This past Friday, my buddy Jeff (from Chicago, I have 3 friends named Jeff y’know) posted this picture on Facebook.

The caption underneath read “so easy and addicting! Make it while you can, they’ll outlaw this as a controlled substance soon.”

He asked his wife Corinne if this looked like a good dinner idea, she said it did (and I threw in my 2 cents & said it sure did to me too).  I then vowed to make it this weekend… and today’s the day.  Will mine look as good as the one here from the internet test kitchen?   I’m about to find out.

ApacheDug’s Own Sweet Garlic Chicken

100_2049

 

  • Two skinless boneless chicken breasts
  • 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1-2 teaspoons Minced Garlic
  • 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
  • Salt & pepper to taste

 

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

2. I used DRIED Minced Garlic, so before doing anything else I put two teaspoons of dried minced garlic in a bowl with two teaspoons of water for 2-3 minutes. 

3.  Saute the softened garlic in a small skillet with one tablespoon olive oil for a couple minutes, enough to heat the two together.  (Be careful not to scorch it.)  Turn off the heat & stir in two tablespoons dark brown sugar.

4.  Here’s my two chicken breasts in a foil-lined baking dish, a light coating of oil on the foil & seasoned lighly with salt & pepper.

5. Pour the pan mixture over the chicken breasts.  (I don’t recommend smelling it, it’s going to make your eyes burn—this stuff’s pretty pungent!)

6.  Place the dish, uncovered, in your preheated oven and cook 20-30 minutes.  (FYI, my chicken breasts were thin-cut and I still let them cook for a good 25 minutes; I take no chances with undercooked chicken!)

Okay, mine may not have been as pretty as that one at the top, but I bet it was just as delicious!  I was worried that that the garlic would overpower the chicken but it didn’t, it cooked ‘sweet’ and made a very flavorful topping. 

(Oh yeah, I threw in a baked potato a half hour or so before the chicken; I figured as long as I had the oven on at that high a temp…) 

Thanks for the idea, Jeff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.