Saturday, July 11, 2020

On this day, four years ago… 15 reasons why I like this photo so much

This morning I was looking thru my ‘Drafts’ folder (blogs I started but never completed or posted) and found one with this photo, with today’s date at the top.  It was titled “On this day, July 11 2016…”  and below the photo was written:

“It’s a boring summer day, I’ve got nothing.  But that’s okay!”

I guess I can see why I chose not to post it, but I sure wish I could go back to this day.  It was only 4 years ago, but compared to events today, personal and public, it feels like a lot more time has passed.  Here’s 15 reasons why I like this photo so much.

1.  I’d just lost 50 pounds after a year of good diet & exercise.  (I’ve lost 50 pounds this year too, but not from a good diet or exercise, I’m afraid.)

2.  Temporomandibular joint dysfunction?  Orofacial pain?  Didn’t have it, never heard of it.  11 trips to the ER for kidney stones?  Never had those either!

3.  My apartment had an outside balcony.  (I like my new apartment better, but it doesn’t come with outdoor seating.)

4.  BARACK OBAMA WAS PRESIDENT.

5.  DONALD TRUMP WAS NOT PRESIDENT.

6.  The country wasn’t shut down from a nightmare pandemic, and 135,000 Americans who have died from COVID-19 were still with us.

7.  I really believed we’d be electing our first woman president in 4-5 months, and the world would finally see us as a truly progressive nation.

8.  Pizza Milano was one block up the street from me and had the best pies in town.  (They’ve since been replaced with a ‘Pizza Express’ that everyone says is the worst.)

Milano’s “Wild Buffalo Chicken” pizza weighed a whopping 5-6 pounds!

9.  My niece Sophia was 11 years old and still shorter than her Uncle Doug.

10.  I hadn’t sold my car yet (due to vision problems in two year’s time) and my sister Shawn’s house was just an hour’s drive away.

11.  The Good Wife was still on TV.

12.  I was paying ZILCH for my tv viewing—I had a Tivo & an indoor antenna that picked up 44 HD channels for free.  (The antenna didn’t work out too well here.)  Oh well, I missed cable channels like CNN & MSNBC anyway!

13.  I was still happily vaping my blues away (I took up vaping after quitting smoking in 2008, which is probably what gave me my TMJD, darn it).

14.  Strawberry Kitty lived directly below me (my downstairs neighbor Mary Beth’s cat) and spent her evenings outside, and would meow along when I softly sang “Soft kitty, Warm Kitty” from The Big Bang Theory.

15.  The only person who had to wear a mask when he left his cave was Batman!

16 comments:

  1. Dear Apache, TMJ? Sounds like you're being jerked around by the medical industry. My pastor has also been jerked around - it was some other medical condition, and he, like you, also has problems he shouldn't have to put up with.
    #7. i am so grateful witchiepoo didn't get elected. Wimmin politicians...very scary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sue, thanks for your comments--but I have to differ with you in regards to "witchiepoo"!

      Delete
  2. I just really loved this post, Doug. It reminded me of what it was like back then too. Sigh... I actually laughed out loud with #9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay, and it's nice to hear from you! If you're referring to my tall leggy niece... yes she has a couple inches on me & actually wants to grow some more! :)

      Delete
  3. Just to let you know Art loved your post too and he also laughed at #9.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess we're all laughing at No. 9. Fortunately, in our town we still have the old Pizza Village which now does curbside pickup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom--well, my little neighborhood has 7-8 pizza places so I don't see Pizza Express lasting too long.

      Delete
  5. So good to see you back Doug. Hope it means you are a bit better. You've been missed.
    Those were all great reasons that I totally agree with, especially those where you were healthy and the country was also. Ah for those good days a bit before when Trump was only on a bad TV show and I could easily switch channels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Patti, and here's to us all getting a little healthier again soon!

      Delete
  6. I also really miss the leadership of Barack Obama. His wise, gentle, open countenance made his speeches a pleasure to listen to. What a contrast to the current incumbent who I don't think of as a leader at all. Four years from now? Let's stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Four years ago was not the best year for me. Too many deaths in the family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I sure am sorry to hear that. Well, the sooner we can move on from everything going on in 2020, the better.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I do wish it were so. Four years ago, we had so much hope. I swear I went to bed election night (early) and was sure I would wake up to a woman President. Hillary was never my first choice, but anyone would have been better than the a** we have now. Also, like you, my health was better four ago. I blame #45 for all my stress and health issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BethB, I agree--anyone would've been better than what we have now. Anyway, sure am sorry to read of your stress & health issues, hoping things look better for you in the weeks ahead.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.