Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Little Girl Blue: Forty years later and my heart aches just the same

A couple weeks ago, I was laying on my couch reading various book reviews on my e-reader when a pop-up window asked if I’d like to read a sample of Little Girl Blue: The Life of Karen Carpenter.  I declined.

It wasn’t that I didn’t know Karen, or the Carpenters.  As a kid in the early 70’s, I loved their sound… who didn’t?  I didn’t see myself as a huge fan, but I think I owned nearly all their record albums.

I can still remember where I was when I learned Karen Carpenter died.  I was working in the Lumber & Garden Supplies at our local Murphy’s Mart.  I was stacking paint and waiting for John E. (my cousin Jonna’s boyfriend and my coworker) to return from lunch so I could go. 

He came around the corner and said “Doug, you’re a big Carpenters fan, right?”

A little embarrassed he knew that but suddenly afraid of what he was going to say next, I just shook my head yes.  He said “I just heard on my car radio, Karen Carpenter died like an hour ago.”

Karen was 32 years old, almost 33.  She was 11 years older than me.  I’d seen her on Good Morning America just a month or so prior, she looked like she had stage 4 cancer.  Her tragic death both was and wasn’t a surprise.

Back in the present, Barnes & Noble sent another pop-up on my Nook.  “Are you sure you want to decline?  The sample is 50 pages long.”  I gave in and said okay, why not.  There was no way I was going to buy this book, I knew her life story inside & out and doubted this book would tell me anything I didn’t already know.  I was also sure it would contain a lot of hearsay which is why I prefer autobiographies over biographies. 

I was wrong, though.  Right away I could tell it was exceptional and halfway thru the sample, I paid the $11.00 for the e-book.  It laid out her life in very exact, chronological detail—from her parents’ parents origins in Chapter 1 to the days & years following Karen’s death in the final chapter.  There wasn’t a single quote that the author didn’t specify who made it, where and when.

A real bonus was readng this in e-book format; as the Carpenters success slowly but surely climbed with each page (and song), I could easily minimize that page, open Youtube and see or listen to every song and performance referenced for myself.  The book took much longer to read this way, but made it a very immersive experience.

It’s no surprise the New York Times gave this book 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.

I think we all know their beginnings:  very early on, Richard was recognized as a musical prodigy and treated as such by their mother Agnes.  At the same time, it’s evident Karen was also musically gifted but Agnes chalks it up to Karen idolizing her brother and doing her part to advance her brother’s career.  Agnes never came out and recognized Karen’s talent.  At least, not to the degree she did with Richard.

After the Carpenters achieved stardom, Agnes would often bring guests along to their concerts, and with a mirror installed above Richard’s piano keys, tell them “You’re not watching Richard’s hands!  Watch his hands!”

I thought instead of re-telling Karen’s story, I’d share 3 videos I watched while reading this book, and their poignancy.  This first one is a television performance from 1974, at the height of their fame (and when Karen was happiest).  After 3 years of prodding by Richard and their record label to “stop singing behind the drums”, Karen was finally comfortable being out in front. 

Later on, while watching this at home with her family, Karen asked if she looked fat.  (She was 5’4” and weighed 145 lbs.)  Her father and brother said no.  Always honest to a fault, her mother told her yes.

 

A year later, Karen would be 25 pounds lighter and the more her mother insisted she stop losing, the more Karen continued to diet.  She was finally in control of one aspect of her life, at least.

In 1976, after Richard completed writing “I Need to Be in Love”, Karen broke down while singing it.  She told her brother she identified too much with the song, but Richard knew this was when she sounded her best.  For the remainder of her life, Karen would declare this “her song” but have difficulty performing it.  

And finally, this is a performance on Danish television in late 1981.  Unlike America, viewers were unaccustomed to Karen’s gaunt appearance and the network’s switchboards were flooded with calls demanding to know what was wrong with her. 

When the Carpenters were told this, Karen was devastated.  After spending the past couple years hovering at 80 pounds, Karen now weighed 98 lbs and thought she looked perfect, even telling friends Olivia Newton-John and Dionne Warwick “I finally have an ass again!”

Fifteen years after her death, her therapist wrote a book on her eating disorder and the 300 anorexic patients he worked with in his 30 year career.  He claimed they were all success stories, except one.  Karen Carpenter.

He added that in all those years, Karen was the only patient who’s family never reached out to him about her progress.  He didn’t understand how someone so loved the world over could be so alone in her personal life.

I made it thru the entire book with only a couple of tears (though I had a lump in my throat for two weeks straight).  And then in it’s last pages, a story was shared about Karen’s solo album.  In 1979, while Richard was in rehab for drug addiction, Karen went to him about making a solo album.  She wouldn’t do it if he said no.  He told her she didn’t need his permission, she said she wasn’t asking for it.  She wanted his blessing.  He finally gave it.

A year later, she presented her album to him and A&M Records.  After listening to it, Richard said it was inferior “and a poor copy of the Carpenters sound”.  Heartbroken, Karen shelved it at his and A&M’s request.  In 1996, 13 years after Karen’s death, Richard decided to release Karen’s solo album and asked the record company for any documents or liner notes his sister had written for the album.  They said the only thing available was Karen’s dedication to Richard “With all my heart, Karen”.  When Richard was told this, he broke down crying.  Darn it, so did I.

Like everything else, her solo album is available on Youtube.  Below is an instrumental piece Richard wrote for a movie about his sister in 1989.  Karen, we love and miss you still.

28 comments:

  1. Hi Doug, what a sad, sad story. I really only remember Karen Carpenter in the later part of her life. Incredible singer and a beautiful lady. How that one comment from her mother changed her life, definitely for the worst.
    I watched all the videos, thanks for sharing them.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the (always) kind comments Robin, there was a hundred more things I wanted to share, but I didn't want to ruin anything in case someone wanted to read this book for themselves. I can't believe it's been almost 40 years, what a loss!

      Delete
  2. It hurts to read that someone could be so starved for approval. Her mom could have changed that whole outcome with some well chosen words. I wasn't into the Carpenters at the time but really loved that first song. You can feel the pain in her voice. I hate it when due to no fault of their own, people are beaten down. Makes us grateful for the life we were given.
    Thanks for the post Doug and the videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti you're such a thoughtful person, I was looking forward to hearing what you had to say, you never disappoint. Thank you :^)

      Delete
  3. The Carpenters were never on my radar until I met my wife who was a big fan. I had heard of their songs but never really listened to them. But I understand now what a big loss it was for you and others. I'm still reeling after John Prine's Covid death last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Ed, I just assumed everyone knew the Carpenters; well I have to admit, I nevver heard of John Prine but I'm going to look him up right this minute.

      Delete
    2. Oh I had heard of them but I just never really paid attention to them. They were kind of like elevator music to me. It was only after I met my wife did I start to focus on them and realize the talent.

      Delete
  4. The e-book method seems to have its advantages. Must rethink about starting e-books, but I prefer to prevent more strain on my eyeballs.

    I've loved the Carpenters music. Their story is so sad. What she looked for, and put up with in husbands was unfortunate too. I think her decline and death really brought anorexia to the public, and most likely educated many families and saved hundreds. The timing was right, as it saved my niece, with proper care, who thrives at 50+-something now.
    Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, that's wonderful to hear about your niece--and you're certainly right, the book details how little was understood about anorexia then, and how far it's come along since Karen's death. So her ending DID have meaning. As for the e-book, I have pretty poor vision and can't read more than 1-2 pages in a "real" book before my eyes tire out. Being able to change the font to different sizes with a swipe has been a huge help :^)

      Delete
    2. Changing the font size is what I love plus the fact I can read at night without bothering anybody who's trying to sleep... and you know who that anybody is.

      Delete
  5. Karen Carpenter's life has always been such a heartbreak to me. I don't know if I would be able to read that book. Their music was beautiful and she had so much going for her if only those close to her had tried to understand and reach out a little more. Maybe it's a lesson to all of us to try to understand and reach out to others a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words Bonnie, and you're exactly right--it's an emotional read and like you said, a reminder to be there for each other. I know that sounds a little corny, but I'm getting cornier the older I get. :^)

      Delete
  6. When the Carpenters were big I had already stopped listening to popular music radio, so they didn’t impact on me very much. I’d hear one of their songs somewhere and think “She has a pleasant voice” and think nothing more about them.
    It was only when I was doing my music columns, where I liked to roam far and wide in music, that I got to listen attentively. My goodness, she was a beautiful singer. What a waste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coming from the Music Man (and I'm not being cheeky), that's pretty high praise. She did have wonderful pipes! Thanks Peter.

      Delete
  7. My late husband was a big fan, whereas I'm more of a classic rock type. What a tragic story of immense talent that was marred by unsupportive personal relationships! Is Richard still alive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, why did I just assume everyone 55 and over was a Carpenters fan? Thank you Margaret--and yes, her brother is still alive, he married and had 4-5 daughters after her death. God! What an awful shame they never got to meet their Aunt Karen... :^(

      Delete
  8. I liked The Carpenters but was never a big fan, I liked my music more Rock and Roll, still do. But her story is so sad. Having a mother who preferred her sons over her daughters, I know a little of what Karen must have felt, maybe, but to have her mother cruelly tell her she was fat was harsh. At least she didn't lose her voice and that voice still lives on now, even if only on you tube.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that sure was nicely said. I appreciate your comment, thank you.

      Delete
  9. Oh this is so sad. I have her white album with her favorite hits. I love her voice. Her talent outshined Richard's in my opinion. I also watched a documentary of her life a long time ago and was moved to tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, very kind of you to say. You know, the irony here is, Richard had an even bigger fan than their mother. It was Karen, who worshiped him and gave him the credit for everything.

      Delete
  10. I never knew much about the Carpenters... although I did like their songs. Listened to all 3 videos. Jambalaya is a favorite of mine coming from Louisiana. But your post was interesting, Dug. It seems to me a lot of people in the music industry have had some really difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rian, and very true about people in the industry. But I sure am surprised, I really assumed everyone knew everything about the Carpenters. I might have to write a Part 2 here...

      Delete
  11. Okay, now I'm crying too. Heartbreaking to lose such a person so young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing DJan, I'm sorry it made you cry. But boy I know what you mean, I had to put the book down time and time again.

      Delete
  12. I did love Karen Carpenter and never loved her brother much. It's so very sad to hear of her life. Thank you for sharing this, Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too Kay, for sharing. It really is a great book, and available from the library now. I just can't believe she's been gone 40 years.

      Delete
  13. She had the most beautiful voice, but what a troubled soul she was. I didn't know she'd recorded a solo album. I must listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There was a lot of music during those years I didn't care for but I did like The Carpenter's. I recall getting really angry when I heard Karen had died -- angry that she was so young and deprived of her life and selfishly for me, I was deprived of their further music. I have watched any TV specials, usually on PBS, they've had about them and thought I was familiar with Karen's story. I did wonder about the whole family situation and if Richard could have been more supportive, but hadn't read or heard anywhere what you shared here about her mother's attitude possibly affecting her body image. What a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.