Wednesday, October 13, 2021

70+ years ago, a look back at the (original) Morris kids

I’ve always loved this old photograph of my dad and his brothers & sisters.  In the upper left is Dad, in front of him is my (shirtless) Uncle Mike.  In the top center is my Aunt Dena, followed by my Aunt Terry & their youngest brother, Uncle Shane.

But who is the elderly woman in the center of things?   Many of my relatives say she was their grandmother, my great grandmother Carrie Morris.  Carrie died in March 1948, at the age of 73.  This woman looks older than that, but I suppose “back then” older people looked older than they do today.  

This photo, taken in 1948, must’ve been shortly before her passing.

I wondered about their (maternal) Grandmother Temple, but when I began digging through old records, Blanche Temple died in 1932 at the age of 43.  I knew my Grandma Morris’ dad Justus Temple passed in 1970, but I had no idea or had completely forgotten Grandma Morris’ mom had died at such an early age. 

It always surprises me how quickly many of us forget or simply don’t know where we came from.

Grandpap & Grandma Morris celebrating a Happy New Year, 1950

For instance, I didn’t know (or didn’t remember) my Grandma Morris also came from a family of 3 brothers & 3 sisters;  Dorothy May (Grandma), Elmer, Benjamin, Betty, Robert & Terry.  I remember great-uncle Bob, and I got birthday cards for years from great-aunt Terry.  A vague memory of Betty & no recollection of Elmer & Benjamin Temple.

My grandpap’s family had 5 kids and I saw his brother (great-Uncle Kenneth) at Morris gatherings for years, and their older sister Ruth who passed in 1986.  But that’s it. 

Y’know, for losing her own mom at such an early age, Grandma Morris was not only a terrific grandmother, but a much-loved Mom as well.  I mean it, my dad & his siblings were fiercely devoted to her for as long as I can remember. 

I was pretty close to her myself and wrote a blog about her here. It’s been 25 years since she left us, I still think about her every day.  Saturday is her birthday, she’d be 107.

In 2016 when I moved back home for 6 months, I ran into my Aunt Dena at the local Giant Eagle and we talked for a good hour.  All I could think was why don’t we do this more often.  My Aunt Dena (the oldest of the Morris kids and the only one who attended college, was an English teacher at Waynesburg High School for 40 years) told me a great story from those early years.

She said the first year she came home from college (for Christmas break), she was feeling a little more ‘worldly’ and in no hurry to return to the family farm.  Grandpap had just brought in their Christmas tree, and Grandma yelled for Aunt Dena to come down & join them in decorating it.  Aunt Dena declined, saying she wasn’t interested.

She said the next thing she heard was a STOMP STOMP STOMP on the stairs, Grandma coming into her room, grabbing her by the arm and pulling her off her bed and down the steps while Dena scrambled & kicked all the way.  She shouted “Let me go!” and Grandma yelled back “You can be fancy all you want out there, but in this house you’re still part of this family!”

Oh that makes me laugh everytime I picture it—I’ll always be thankful I’m a part of this family too. 

Love them all & missing Grandma, Dad & Uncle Shane, who were taken too soon.  I’m not a person of faith, but I sure do enjoy the notion of them being back together again.

32 comments:

  1. We are so lucky, Doug, to have strong connections with our heritage. Most of my self worth is knowing my DNA is courtesy of those stalwart folk. In the photo, your great grandmother certainly makes her look older than in her early 70's. But back then she likely didn't use hair dye, makeup, modern comfy clothes nor cataract surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew very little about my family until I got into genealogy. I'm guessing it is fairly normal for details like those to disappear with each generation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, what you've done is mighty impressive. I've enjoyed your detailed findings!

      Delete
  3. You had me laughing at that scene, too. What a terrific grandma to keep the family together. Love her!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photos and the memories attached to them. My late husband would have done the same thing as Grandma! I posted a photo on my blog of a great-grandmother who died in her early 60s; in the photo she looks much older. (not just in appearance but in dress) Of course our lives are cushy compared to theirs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret and you just summed up the differences in appearance very well--our lives now are much cushier!

      Delete
  5. Just a thought: Blanche Temple's death in 1932 at 43 years old, sure sounds like one of the many cases of TB. Huge sanitariums were established throughout the country to care for those folks, usually until they died. (My Mom's mother died of TB in a sanitarium when my Mother was only 12 years old. For two years, my Mom would visit by standing on the grassy lawn of the sanitarium and waving to her mom in the window. Even for what little was medically known then, nobody else in the family got TB.) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda that made me sad to read about your mom waving to hers... but now you have me very curious how my own grandma's mother died. I'm going to try and find out if it was also TB, boy that makes sense.

      Delete
  6. It's great to reconnect with family -- isn't it? -- even if it's only in looking at some old photographs. Meanwhile, good for Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So great that you have these pictures and wonderful memories of your family. We do need to connect more for when you get my age and have questions, there is no one to ask. Hope you and Dena do get together now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed reading about your family and seeing these pictures. You have a wonderful family and they sound very supportive. In the last picture, is the gentleman on the far left your Dad? If not you sure do look like your uncle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie! Well in that last picture, my dad was the third person--first is my Grandma (on the arm of that couch) then my Aunt Dena, Dad, Aunt Terry, Uncle Mike, Uncle Shane. And it just hit me they're sitting in order of their age, haha :^)

      Delete
  9. Having a quiet laugh here at your grandma dragging Dena down the stairs to help with the tree decorating. A quick peek into my family tree sees many of us living into the 80s and 90s, not many died early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks River and yes it sounds like you have a healthy family tree!

      Delete
  10. Well, this is interesting. I think of us as at least near contemporaries. However, you say that your grandmother would be 107. My FATHER would have turned 117 last January, and my mother was only four years younger.
    Both my grandmothers were born in 1879 within months of each other, one in England and one in Australia. They both died in 1970 aged 91 in those same countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Peter, neither one of us are kids, that's for sure. My grandmothers were born in 1913 & 1914, but neither made it to their 90s like yours. My dad died when he was only 63, he'd be 84 if he was alive. I guess I'm not as old as I thought I was :^)

      Delete
    2. Dad made it to 83, but poor mum only reached 72.

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry about your mum, Peter. Well, my own mom only made it to 64, so with me turning 60 in a couple weeks.. hoping for a longer outcome but aren't we all.

      Delete
  11. Hi Doug, what wonderful photos! I definitely can see your Dad in you, especially the first photo. Such a good looking family.
    I am blessed to have some old photos of when my parents were young too. One of them, a full family photo, (my grandparents, my Dad and his eight siblings) my grandmother is probably in her mid forties. She is plump with her grey hair drawn back in a bun.....and five months pregnant with my Uncle Billy.😳
    As Margaret says we have much cushier lives!
    The only parent left between Chuck and I is my Mum who turns 88 shortly.
    I love the thought too that loved ones gone before us are together again.
    Have a good week Doug!❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, thanks for the kind words--your comments always mean a lot to me. Very kind what you said about having my dad in me, and your dad had 8 siblings in that photo?? And his mom had one on the way? Haha, wow! Well, even though it's just one it's still great that you have your mom with you. 88 years old, no one in my own family has made it that long... yet. :^) Hope you have a good week too Robin!

      Delete
  12. Dug, I had to go back and read your blog you wrote about your grandma. You know, it would be great if all kids had those wonderful memories about their grandma. It's what every grandma would want. Unfortunately I never knew any of mine... both died when I was a baby. Have heard wonderful stories about them, but sure wish I had known them. Luckily my kids knew both of theirs as both lived into their 90"s. So they too have good memories. And I'm pretty sure that we will all be together again one day... not sure how or where... but we will. Love never dies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, what a nice message--thank you! I'm sorry you didn't know your own grandparents... I've said that to my sister several times about my niece Sophia, who came along after our parents (and my sister's husband parents) were all gone. Well, from the fun & kind stuff I've read on your blog, you are certainly one grandparent your kids (and grandkids) love now & will remember fondly. :^)

      Delete
  13. I love hearing about the family history of my favorite bloggers (you're in that mix). I was so self centered when growing up that I never paid much attention to the elders. Fortunately I have a sister who did, and she has filled me in about our grandparents over the years. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much DJan; well, I know you've always been more of a 'look ahead' person, but I've enjoyed your own looks back (your blogs about your mom & dad). I hope we see more of 'em. :^)

      Delete
  14. Lovely set of family photos, and a nice story to go with it! My Grandfathers died before I was born, I did have one Nan, and she died when I was about 11. Now she's just a distant memory and I have no photos of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey and aw I'm sorry...well, I didn't really know my grandfathers either but I can't imagine not having my one grandma (on my dad's side) as long as I did. I wish you at least had a photo though. :^(

      Delete
  15. I went back and read about your grandma Morris. What a very special lady she was and how wonderful that you had that awesome relationship to always keep in your heart. I wish we lived close to our grandkids and could get to know each other better. Even with FaceTime and text messages, there’s nothing like just being together like you were with your grandma. What an amazing family you had/have Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Kay! But I have to say, for the miles apart you are to your own grandkids, I think you're much closer to them than a lot of families are. I know how you guys work to keep that closeness too via technology, they know you & Art and love you guys! :^)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.