Tuesday, October 10, 2023

Uncle Mike, I just wanted to say thank you and goodbye

Last week my Uncle Mike died.  Born in February 1943, he was 80 years old.  He was my dad’s brother, 5 1/2 years younger in age.  It’s not a lot, but it never occurred to me they were that far apart in age.  They were very close, played music professionally together for many years, loved and respected each other.  They were brothers in the truest sense of the word.

When Dad died in February 2001, I often wondered how Uncle Mike dealt with the loss.  I wish I’d reached out and just asked, but in 40 years I can count on one hand the number of times I saw Uncle Mike, let alone spoke with him.

I loved the man, we just never got to know one another.

My Uncle Mike was married to my Aunt Sandy for 55 years, and they raised 3 daughters; Emily, Amy & Michael.  I haven’t seen the older two in many years (Em lives out west, Amy in Florida) but I love them dearly, they’re wonderful people.  And honestly, their mother is a trip.  From the first time I met Aunt Sandy (when I was 6 years old) to the first time I’d seen her in 18 years just a couple months ago, she has always been funny and dear and outspoken. 

At my niece Sophia’s graduation party in June, Uncle Mike & Aunt Sandy were there.  (I hadn’t seen them since Sophia’s first birthday party, she’ll be 19 this week.)  Anyway, Aunt Sandy said “Doug why don’t you come down and stay with me & your Uncle Mike for awhile?  You can smoke in every room of our house!”   It was such a sweet offer, I didn’t want to tell her I quit smoking many years ago.

From 1979, the original Morris brood:  Uncle Mike on the top left, Dad, Aunt Terry, Uncle Shane, Grandpap Morris on the bottom, Grandma Morris, Aunt Dena

He certainly was a good looking man.  My mom (who was a couple years ahead of him in school) often told us how popular Uncle Mike was with the girls, and how he became the brother she never had after she married Dad. 

I have a couple memories of my Uncle that I’ll always hold close to me; the first is one I’m not sure I should even be sharing.  In the fall of 1966 when I was around 5 years old, I was showing my sister Shawn the “barbershop” Dad had set up in the basement for my older brother Duke & me. 

The next thing I know, Shawn was in the chair and I was clipping her long tresses. 

She went upstairs to where Dad was in the kitchen with Uncle Mike.  Dad pounded down those steps and (in a moment of temporary insanity) began beating me.  I mean he was crying and frantic, I think he was scared Mom would come home from the store, see most of Shawn’s hair gone and have a heart attack or something.

Anyway, I just remember Uncle Mike running down those steps and yelling at him to stop and pulling Dad off me.  I never heard my uncle yell or raise his voice again. 

My second memory is from February 2001, when my old man died.  After the service, I stood alone in front of my dad’s casket and cried pretty hard.  It went on for quite awhile too, and the entire time my Uncle Mike stood behind me, his hands on both my shoulders.

It brought me so much comfort, him doing that.  I’m just glad I was able to thank him a few years later.  Rest in peace, Uncle Mike.

22 comments:

  1. It sounds as if you came from a good and caring family, Doug. That's where you learned to be a good and caring person yourself, I'd guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby, you're very kind. I was just reading your blog this morning about your family's visit with you & Tim, I'm glad things went well. :^)

      Delete
  2. My sincere sympathies on the passing of your Uncle Mike. Your words have provided an image of an empathetic and loving man. I am certain he will be missed by all who knew him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maebeme, you're a very kind person, thank you. Uncle Mike was loved by many people that's for sure.

      Delete
    2. Doug, I am so sorry for the loss of your Uncle Mike. My deepest condolences to you. Thank you for sharing this lovely tribute to him. I think that this is one of the hardest parts of getting older; we are loosing the people we are close to, and the sadness and grief can be difficult to bear. I'm hoping that by writing this loving tribute to your Uncle Mike, that it brings you some comfort in your time of sorrow.

      Carole

      Delete
    3. Carole, you are a lovely person. Thank you so much for these kind words.

      Delete
  3. This is a nice tribute to your uncle. Your connection with your uncle is treasured and well remembered. It is great that you saw him and your aunt at Sophia's graduation. I am sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you my friend. When i saw Uncle Mike in June he was as I remembered him years ago, very quiet & low-key. But when I was reminiscing with my one aunt and a couple cousins, he came over and I keep thinking about that. Like you said, I'm glad I got to see him again.

      Delete
  4. You have painted a very clear and loving picture of him in this post. It's so hard when we lose part of our past; we can only cherish our memories and love for them. I'm so sorry that your Uncle is gone. It seems like our family members should always be there, doesn't it? The foundations of our world crumble a little when they die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, well spoken as always. And yes it does seem like they should always be there. When my Aunt Sandy extended that invite at my niece's party, to come down & stay, I felt like a teenager again--hardly a man in his sixties. Thanks again M.

      Delete
  5. Very nice post, Dug. Your memories of your Uncle Mike made me think back on my uncles growing up. Sadly, my aunts played a larger part in my memories than my uncles... who were kind and I loved them, but they took more of a back seat when it came to us kids. Some things stand out (like your 2 memories mentioned) - little things can mean a lot when looking back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, thanks very much. This was very nice to read and you are so right in regards to uncles taking back seats when it comes to childhoods. My aunts played a much larger role in my family too, but yes some things are remembered for a lifetime. :^)

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry for the loss of your uncle. It never gets easier as we age and our family and friends leave us. I am the same age as your uncle was, actually a little older, so it always hits me when someone my age passes away. You wrote a lovely post to honor him. Thank you for sharing it with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much DJan. To be honest, I thought of you at his passing as I know you've crossed that age. It does give one pause.. but your words here are much appreciated.

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry your Uncle Mike is gone. I'm out of aunts and uncles now and I still miss still miss them but I try to remember all the good stuff between us and it helps me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Celia, I'm sorry all your own is gone. I was just looking at that photo I posted above and I realized everyone is gone except for 2. Time sadly marches on...

      Delete
  8. I think your Dad was scared and relieved at the same time that you'd held a pair of scissors and hadn't hurt your sister apart from the loss of hair. Hitting you was a tension release. Your uncle Mike was good to pull him away so he could calm down.
    I'm sad he is gone now, and you will miss him for sure. 80 is a good long life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River my dad was ready to kill me, I remember that part all too well! But that was sweet of you to try and put a nice spin on it. I just wish Dad and Uncle Mike could both still be here.

      Delete
  9. This post brought tears to my eyes. Your Uncle was such a sweet, loving man. How good of him to protect you. BTW, your Dad was so handsome in that pic. I would have swooned over him myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Gigi, thank you. This was really sweet of you to say, it means a lot. 🙂

      Delete
  10. Doug, I am so sorry.❤️ Your Uncle Mike was a wonderful man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, thank you my dear friend. You know, he was a good man and more and more I'm feeling regret that I didn't know him better these last years.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.