Friday, October 27, 2023

One of our Friends is no longer with us

Note:  This was written the day before the death of Friends actor Matthew Perry and has nothing to do with his passing.  The title is just a sad coincidence.
 
Last night my friend Elisa (who I worked with for 10-11 years at the Allegheny County Dept of Aging, and now helps manage the Senior Center) texted me and wrote “I’m sure Kim already texted you but in case she hasn’t, Terry Cavallo died yesterday.”

I assumed she was talking about someone at the center.  Who was Terry Cavallo?  I texted back I didn’t know the name, but the moment I pressed SEND, it hit me: Kim as in Kim Hall from the Dept of Aging?  Terry as in Terry Kavala?

Before I could ask, she sent a link to his obituary.  Oh Terry.  My heart sank.  He had been wrestling with blood disease, and his latest treatment was the same given to leukemia patients.  His heart couldn’t bear the strain.

For as long as I’ve known Terry, he was always lean, fit as a fiddle.  He never drank or smoked.  He was only 63 years old.

I sat here and thought about him all night, and our many years together, and it hit me, we were Friends before Friends.

There was a core group of 6 of us, all close in age, who worked at the Dept of Aging and met for lunch everyday for 10-11 years, from 1990 to 2001.  There was 3 guys—Terry Kavala, Jerry Duch & myself, and 3 girls—Carolyn Galvin, Elisa Eyer & Kim Hall.

We sometimes had a couple of older guest stars like Joanne & Darlene join us, and a younger guest named Janet—but it was the 6 of us who met Mon-Fri for lunch in the Nurse’s Room, our “Central Perk”. 

Terry was like Ross, the funny but melancholy academic.  Jerry was like Joey, the cute Italian guy who was always cracking everyone up.  I was Chandler, the neurotic with the job the rest knew little about.  (They just knew I worked with computers.)

I’m not sure how I’d match up Elisa, Carolyn & Kim to Phoebe, Monica & Rachel, I’ll have to ask them what they think.

I don’t know if it’s too soon, the poor man has just passed.  But it’s been a long time since I last saw or spoke to Terry, and I’ll always carry this one memory of him with me.  I had bought my mom a ruby garnet ring (that was on special for Mother’s Day) from Kaufmann’s, a big department store right across the street from our office.  When I showed it to the group at lunch, Terry remarked how much he liked it and wanted to get one for his wife. 

I told him to make sure he asked for the wife’s ring, not the mother’s one.  Men weren’t being careful and were ticking their wives off. 

From the expression he gave me, I assumed he knew I was just being a goof.

However, the very next day at lunch Terry was nowhere to be seen.  Afterwards when I was back at my desk, my phone rang.  It was Terry, who said he’d just spent his lunch hour at the jewelry counter at Kaufmann’s insisting there was two versions of the ruby ring they had on special.

When I said oops my bad, he calmly said “Douglas I’m coming for you next.”  

I literally ran down the hall to Carolyn Galvin’s office and told her I was a dead man if she didn’t save my hide.  I can’t remember what happened after that, but I’m still here so… I only wish Terry was.

Goodbye Terry—you deserved so much more.

32 comments:

  1. My sympathies on the passing of your friend and colleague, Terry. Gone far too soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme, like I wrote I haven't seen or talked to him in a long while. But for a long time we were all very close, I just can't believe he's gone.

      Delete
    2. I'm sure you've read or heard that Matthew Perry passed away yesterday at his home. The timing of your blog post seems almost eerier.

      Delete
    3. Maebeme I did, a friend emailed me last night about Matthew Perry right before I went to bed. What a weird, sad coincidence. 😔

      Delete
  2. Garnet is my January birthstone. Ruby is the July birthstone. Two different stones. Which one did you buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anyway, sorry your friend passed. So sad when old friends go.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Gigi--oh, it was so long ago I just remember the ring had 3-4 little red stones. I've bought very little jewelry in my life!

      Delete
  3. A life cut short is always very sad. You and Terry must have had some good laughs about your ring purchases. Your work group sounds like a good group of friends. RIP Terry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, we were friends only as a group--but those were honestly the best years of my life, being with those people at the Dept of Aging. I love 'em all.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully said…thank you 💔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elisa! And thank you again for letting me know about Terry as soon as you did, we're like family :^)

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, way too soon, hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, thank you Celia. Hard to see such decent people leave us.

      Delete
  6. I lost a dear friend this year and another has been diagnosed with cancer for the second time. It really reminds us how short a lifetime is. And that we cherish our memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Merry, I sure am sorry about your own losses. But what you said here about short lifetimes and cherishing people, omigosh yes.

      Delete
  7. What excellent and touching memories you have of Terry and of your group! I'm so sorry that you've lost a friend and WAY too young. I agree with Miss Merry that a lifetime is short and that we need to cherish the people around us. That said, you are an amazing friend, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, you're very kind! Well, I've spent the day reconnecting with these awesome people and I'm just sorry it took the passing of Terry to do it. Thanks again.

      Delete
  8. You have such a knack for storytelling and bringing your subjects to life. I just wish you could do it for real, with such a wonderful person as Terry seems he was. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, you're very generous. I feel like I'm just sharing names, but they were (and still are) very real, and good friends still.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you had a wonderful office team. It sure makes going to work easier when you have good people around you. I'm sorry that you lost one of your friends so early. Hope he got to enjoy some retirement years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dkzody; I was just talking to a couple of these people today, and that office was HUGE, with over 100 people--I don't how the 6 of us managed to "hook up". As for Terry, he never got to retire--he was still doing what he did when I worked with him 30 years ago (a caseworker for the aged). But he still lived a full life.

      Delete
  10. Doug, I am so sorry you lost your friend Terry. Way too young, so much life yet to live. I loved the story you told about he and you. I could just imagine Terry at the jewelry counter insisting he wanted the wife ruby garnet ring. Take care Doug.❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin you're a dear, thanks very much. I feel guilty, yesterday I was catching up on memories with the other 'Friends' on here and couldn't stop laughing about that ring. At the very least, we got to do a lot of catching up yesterday. :^)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thank you River, I couldn't agree more--it's so unfair.

      Delete
  12. I'm so sorry for your loss. Doug. We are at that age, where we start to lose those near and dear to us. I often think of Arkansas Patti (The New Sixty), wondering how she is doing. I still check her blog occasionally and leave a comment. Someone is moderating her blog, so I know she is still with us, or else I think we would have heard.

    We connect and get close to the in-person friendships, as well as the blogosphere friendships; worrying and hoping for the best.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Carole, and you're so on point about being at that age. I've been giving a lot of thought to that. Well, thanks to Terry I've been hearing from those other old Friends, and it's been really nice. And speaking of nice, yes I feel just the same about Arkansas Patti! I do the same, Carole (visit her blog) at least a couple times a week. Not giving up on her yet. :^)

      Delete
    2. PS Carole I got both your comments, thanks again. (My blog is set up to delay posting comments after 24 hours have passed, to reduce spam.) :^)

      Delete
  13. Hi Doug, Truly one of the most difficult times in life is when we lose a family member or friend. I’m sorry to hear about Terry’s passing. Wishing you peace in this difficult time. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, and thanks very much. Well, in all honesty it's been a long time since I've seen Terry, but it is still hard to know he's gone. At the very least, his passing has brought the rest of us together again the last couple days.

      Delete
  14. I saw that Matthew Perry died tonight, and I thought of your post right away. That news makes your post title a bit ironic, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Debby, it really surprised me too. What a weird, sad coincidence.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.