Friday, October 6, 2023

A road trip to Mineo’s with the Golden Bachelor and some wonderful ladies

Recently I headed up to the senior center for our next outing to Mineo’s, a pizza house in Allison Park (and rated one of the ten best in Pittsburgh).  The shuttle wasn’t scheduled to pick us up until 11am, but you’re expected to be there 30 minutes early just in case.

After I arrived, said hello to everyone and got a cup of water, I sat down at one of the tables in the Community Room.  Gary got up from across the room to join me.  Oh no.  He’s a nice person, but a little soft in the head if you know what I mean.  He’s also very hard of hearing.  You have to SHOUT when you talk to him.

He says “Hello, are you going to Mineo’s today?”  I say “YES GARY.  I AM GOING TOO.”  He says “My name is Gary—what’s yours?”  Ugh—on our last outing together to Mt. Washington, no matter how many times I told him my name, he called me Chuck.  I say “IT’S DOUG, GARY.  DOUG.”   He says “Jeff?”  I say “DOUG!”  He says “Stan?”  I say “DOUG!!”  He says “George?”   I just stare at him.  I’m done.

He says “I worked at Heinz for 45 years, but I’m retired!  I got a pickle phone, a pickle clock, a pickle watch, a pickle tie-clip, a pickle PAPER clip, a pickle paper weight, a pickle—“   I say “YOU GOT A PICKLE BALL, GARY?”   He says “What? There’s no such thing!”

No offense, but I had enough of Gary.  I decided to wait in the vestibule with the ladies for our ride.  I don’t know why they all stand out there, it’s not like first come first served.  (When the shuttle arrives, the driver calls your name from a clipboard.)  Anyway, there’s a bench in the entrance where Geri, Pearl & another woman are sitting.  A dozen other ladies are standing there talking quietly, when one (Rose) says “I’m going to stand next to the man with all the girlfriends.”  

Rose pats my arm and says “Can you handle one more?” and winks at a couple of the other ladies, and they laugh.  Rose says “So how many girls do you have?”

I said “It’s really not that many.  Evvie, Geri & Pearl.  But Pearl is more like a big sister, she’s my neighbor at the Tiffany.”   One of the ladies says “What about the one you refer to as the widow?”  I say “The Widow Marple.  She lives in West Virginia, so I don’t see her often.  She’s an old classmate.”

Rose says “I suppose you’re going to tell us you like all these ladies the same?”  I say “Oh no.  Evvie comes first.  Then Geri, then the Widow Marple, then Pearl.”   Geri says “Well, at least I’m second on his list!”  Pearl says “Hello, did you forget Elaine?  She’s coming today and I thought you liked her best!”  I say “I love Elaine!  Okay, Evvie first, THEN Elaine, Geri is third now, then the Widow, then Pearl.”

Without saying a word, Geri gets up from the bench, walks over to me, slugs me in the arm, then sits back down.  The other women burst out laughing.  Right then, Elaine walks in and (in her soft voice) says “What did I miss?”  and the women laughed even harder.

Here’s some pics of these terrific ladies mentioned above:

This is Evvie who I love dearly; no matter what mood I’m in, she makes me happy the moment I see her

Geri is in the center of these two little Indians from our trip to the Pow Wow. She’s teeny-tiny, funny as she is feisty, and I’d give anything to have half her energy

Here’s my friend Diana aka the Widow Marple, from our tour of a West Virginia asylum in July. 

(She didn’t go with us, but she WAS mentioned up above and I’ve been looking for a reason to share this nice photo of her)

My neighbor Pearl, standing in this odd little “hobbit house” behind Mineo’s.  It’s faux rock (like they use in movies) and even Mrs. Mineo doesn’t know who built it or why!  Pearl looks ready to move in

Alas, no photos of Elaine.  She’s a very private person.  (Try to imagine a pint-sized Jane Wyman with salt n’ pepper hair, Ked sneakers and an oversized denim jacket.)  At the restaurant, she saved me the seat next to her and it made my day.  

Here was my lunch order, a “John’s Special”—homemade sausage, gouda cheese, green peppers & big mushrooms.  I ate 2 rich slices and brought the rest home for dinner for 2 nights.  

It was certainly tasty, but Scotty’s Pizza in my old hometown is still my favorite pie!

24 comments:

  1. Hi Doug, sounds like another wonderful outing with your senior group. You are very popular! I didn’t realize Diana was a widow. Your pizza looks delicious. Now I want to make one for supper tonight!😆😆 Enjoy the weekend.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! And yes, my friend Diana is a widow. To be honest a widow twice, so we will remain good friends always. As for my popularity at the center, it's not difficult when there's only three men and two dozen women! I think you would have liked this pizza, it had a Canadian feel to it. Hope you have a good weekend too! ☺️

      Delete
    2. Twice, that is so sad. Lovely you two are able to spend time together.
      Robin

      Delete
  2. What a rich social life you have, Doug! Sounds like you are the darlin' of your tribe. (not surprised, really) Had a good laugh at your interactions with Gary. His short-term memory is REALLY short! Now you've made me think of the fabulous pizzas I used to enjoy at The Colonnade in downtown Ottawa. With a mug of draft beer, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Florence! Well, I think I'm more of a novelty than darling, but I really do like everyone there--I DO try with Gary, but yep you nailed it in regards to his short-term memory! That poor guy. Speaking of Ottawa, I just started following a young woman on Youtube who lives there--"According to Nicole". She's so down to earth, you should check her out. :^)

      Delete
  3. Aren't you glad you decided to join the senior's center? You've certainly had some fun outings and made some wonderful friends.
    Geri sounds like a woman after my own heart. I've punched more than one man in the past. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes Maebeme I am glad I joined, and I dont know how if you 'qualify' but I always enjoy your comments and wish you lived closer to join too. You'd love Geri for sure. :^)

      Delete
  4. The Mineo's that is in the top 10 is in Squirrel Hill and Mt. Lebanon. I will take you sometime! I'm not sure if this one is affiliated with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, it is! I didn't know they had that location. I love the Sicilian.

      Delete
    2. Is this you Danielle? I wondered the EXACT same thing (was this Mineos affliliated with Squirrel Hill, that's where I thought we were going). I love Sicilian too, let's go! :^)

      Delete
  5. Man, that pizza is a cardiac delight. I have atherosclerosis, so I don't eat pizza anymore. Sorry, I am such a jerk for telling you this. Those ladies sound like great people. And that Diana is really pretty, nice figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not a jerk Gigi! I'm just sorry you can't enjoy pizza anymore. Anyway, you're right the ladies at the Center are great, I'm especially fond of the ones that run the place. As for Diana, that's very nice of you; she is the healthiest eater I know! Thank you, I'm sure she will appreciate what you said. 🙂

      Delete
  6. Your outings with the SC sound and look like fun. DH and I haven't gone on any yet. Actually our SC is so busy that everything I try to sign up for is already full. We stopped by for lunch yesterday (it was Brat with Sauerkraut & chips) which is yuck to me but DH likes. Apparently everyone likes - as the parking lot was so full - no place to park. We went home. But love your pics and enjoy sharing your outings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, and I've been thinking about you quite a bit recently; you may see why in my next post. Anyway, I'm sorry your own Center is so busy! I wish you lived closer, they keep trying to get more people to join ours. Darn it, now I'm craving a brat and sauerkraut! 😋

      Delete
  7. What a fun group you're hanging out with! No Doug Special? Or should I say Chuck? Jeff? LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks Margaret it is a fun group of people--as for the "Doug Special" there is one at the center, they know to give me extra pudding :^)

      Delete
  8. This was so fun and dear to read. And the quote here sure made me think of you in kindergarten. “I’m going to stand next to the man with all the girlfriends.” I remember Mom saying every time she went to pick you up at school you were surrounded by all the girls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shawn! And that was a sweet memory of Mom (I know she used to say that) but trust me, when it's 5 girls to 1 boy at that center... haha :^)

      Delete
  9. You've got some genuine camaraderie with the SC group. Everybody seems to have a good time and the lunches are excellent. You'll have to recruit a few new male members as Gary is not going to qualify as a wing man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I always enjoy your comments. Yes the food on these outings is great (we pay for our own, of course) but you just made snort out loud here--God bless Gary but boy did you get that right!

      Delete
  10. Look at you, a regular Ladies Man! I'm not at all surprised, you have a kind nature and a nice face. The pizza looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This sure was a nice way to start the day, very kind of you. Thanks River :^)

      Delete
  11. I am glad you were able to surround yourself with those wonderful ladies and edged old Gary right out! Poor guy, he really is a bit soft in the head, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't mean to make light of Gary's condition but I feel I have the right to express my frustration here--he has a couple people there of his own that he goes with, and I have tried to talk to him on several occasions. Some days I can do it, other days... nope!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.