Sunday, November 24, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving from a couple of turkeys: oh heck, why not…


I love this picture of Mom & me.  It was taken at my sister Shawn’s house on Thanksgiving Day, 2002.  Of all the family photos I have, this is the only nice one I have of the two of us together. 

(As much as Mom loved to snap pictures of Dad and us kids, she hated having her own taken; so photos of her are few & far between.)

Anyway--a couple days before, Mom called me and asked when I was driving down for Thanksgiving. 

As I had just gotten my driver’s license (and a new car) that summer, and no longer needed to rely on a family member to come get me or bring me back to Pittsburgh, I said I’d make the trip Thanksgiving morning. 

Mom said “Oh.”  I asked if that was okay.   She said “You used to come down the night before and stay a few days…” 

Doug you turkey--what was I thinking?  I said I’d make the trip home as soon as I got off work Wednesday.  As I was one of the people scheduled to work the day before the holiday, I knew my boss would only require us to be in the office a half-day.  So I’d spend the night at Mom’s house (she now lived alone as Dad had passed in February 2001) and we’d head over to my sister Shawn’s house together the next day for Thanksgiving.

When I arrived at Mom’s, she came outside and said “Hi honey!  Why don’t you park in the garage instead of leaving your car in the driveway!”   Hmm… I’d driven down several times since getting my car a few months earlier, she never suggested I park in there before… was she expecting snow?    

A couple hours later, my sister Shawn pulled into the driveway.   Mom said “Shhh!  Hide in the other room, I don’t want Shawn knowing you’re here!”   Mom met her at the kitchen door (where Shawn had picked up some items for Mom from the grocery store on her way home from work).  Mom asked how her day went, Shawn said fine, but she had a lot to do tonight in preparation for tomorrow.  Mom asked if she was sure she didn’t need her to bring anything.  Shawn said no, she was good. 

Then I heard Shawn ask “I thought Doug was coming here today?”   Mom said yes, that’s what she thought too. 

Shawn said “Well, it’s dark now.  You know he has trouble driving at night, shouldn’t you call him and see if he’s okay?”  Mom said “You’re right.  OH DOUG…..!!”

I walked into the kitchen.  “Hey Shawn.”  Shawn said “Hey Doug.”   Mom said “Waitaminute!  That’s all you have to say?  You’re not surprised to see him here??”  Shawn rolled her eyes. “Oh Mom… when Doug came around the corner I figured you had him park in the garage.   Okay I’ll see you two tomorrow, the earlier the better.”  

After she left, Mom said “Can you believe her?”  I said yes Mom, I knew Shawn all too well.  Mom said “Did you remember to bring that can of cranberrry sauce like I asked?”   I said yes, even though Shawn already told us she was making a fresh cranberry salad.   Mom said “Aren’t you going to ask why I had you bring it anyway?”  I said nope, ‘cuz I knew HER all too well too!

Oh I know this is a dumb little story… but since Mom’s passing (15 years ago this December) I can’t help but look back and think about these happier moments when the holidays roll around.   I guess I’ve been feeling especially bummy this year… last year I spent Thanksgiving in the hospital (after getting a uretal stent placed for a blocked kidney).  This year, I’ll be spending it alone again (as I’m pretty much unable to talk or chew with this godawful jaw splint I’m wearing 24/7).  

But next year, come hell or high water… I’m going to make it to my sister’s house for Thanksgiving if it kills me!

shocked turkey

14 comments:

  1. Oh Doug, I’m so sorry for all you’re going through this year and last year. I know your sister is really going to miss you. I’m glad you have that special photo of your beautiful mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay you are very sweet--thanks. I hope that didn't sound like a big pity party, I'm going to be my old self in a couple months! Hope you and your awesome family have a wonderful holiday :)

      Delete
  2. That is such as sweet picture of you and your Mom. Love her hand on your shoulder. So sorry your last Thanksgiving and this one look bleak. Hope you at least have a pumpkin spice or turkey flavored smoothie. This year maybe a bit of face time on the phone with your sister's family and you can just nod as they talk. Next year may you have a pain free holiday that will be off the charts with happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, you always have such positive & helpful things to say. I'm really glad to know you, thank you. (I wasn't expecting to hear from you, I know you've been under the weather... sure hope you're doing better and back on your feet.) Thanks again & I hope you have a wonderful holiday :) PS. Your story about Minnie has really got me thinking about a cat! :)

      Delete
  3. It is a great day to spend with family, I expect next year you will be able to talk and chew and it will be much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for posting this story & picture. (I enlarged the picture so I could stare at Mom for a minute. I can just hear their voices when I read these memories... I know I've mentioned that before, I guess it must be something I love & appreciate. I miss them, too. Happy Thanksgiving, Dougie. I love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Court, I'm glad you enjoyed this look back at Mom... I'll have to come up with some more stuff for ya :) Hope you & Robert have a nice big Thanksgiving :) Love you too.

      Delete
  5. I love reading about other family stories and memories. mostly because I don't have many myself. We're not a close knit family and both parents have long since passed, we three siblings all live in different cities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River... I know just what you mean, I've got 5 siblings but pretty much only keep in touch with a couple of them. I really miss the family we had as kids. I hope you have a nice thanksgiving.

      Delete
  6. We don't do thanksgiving here in Australia. Many people do have turkey at Christmas though. I don't. I prefer ham and cold salads since it will be summer here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doug, I just wanted to tell you that because of this post, I made sure to have a photo taken of my son and me when we were in Maryland last month. Like your mom, I usually take photos of everybody, but I couldn't remember any nice photo of just my son and me together. I've remedied that and my son was very happy to have it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, this was such a nice read--I sure am glad you guys did that, and thanks so much for letting me know. :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.