Saturday, October 12, 2019

The view from my kitchen window, people below and across, and other junk

This is the view from my kitchen window—from one angle.  If I stand at the center or center-right of my sink, I have a lovely view of California Avenue, Avalon’s “Main Street”.  It’s lined with tall trees and nice homes. 

When I get up in the morning I like to wash my face & brush my teeth, turn on my tv to ‘Morning Joe’ as I stumble thru the livingroom on my way to the kitchen.  And while Joe Scarborough & Mika rail about Trump’s latest in the other room, I slide open that window above my sink and enjoy a cup of coffee while watching the going-ons below.

I see joggers, male & female both.  There’s people walking their dogs (more like finding a spot for them to do their business), and even a couple moms with their baby strollers, getting some morning sun while the weather’s still warm. 

I think my favorite ones to watch are the sprinters, the people making a dash for the bus stop to get to their jobs downtown.  I was one of those sprinters once… I suppose watching them is a nice reminder I’m no longer on that hamster wheel.  Sometimes I miss it.

Early morning is definitely my favorite part of the day.

ANYWAY—from my kitchen’s entrance (the far left of this window), I can see my neighbor’s window at Chaize Place, the condo building next door (which is set back from the street a bit more than my own apartment building).

A few days ago I noticed that window had it’s vertical blinds open.  It’s been a long time since I’ve seen those blinds pulled back.  When I moved into this apartment in April 2017, an older gent used to park himself at that window.  We never made eye contact, for all I know he was looking at the person who lives below me.  But he was always at that window.

Then 7-8 months ago he disappeared.  His window went dark, and someone pulled his blinds shut.  They haven’t been opened since.  Until now.  Someone has moved in.

kit-entrance_thumb11So yesterday morning, as I’m making my trek for coffee and I’m at the entrance to my kitchen, I see a woman (around my age) fiddling with a potted plant on her windowsill.  She looked up & saw me.

I’m at the perfect angle for her to see me head to toe—and all I’m wearing is the t-shirt and underwear I slept in.

Sorry lady!  I don’t get dressed until after I shower—and I don’t shower until after I have my morning cup of coffee

She didn’t hear my brain’s apology though, and just stood there.  I slunk into my kitchen the rest of the way and got my cuppa joe. 

Later on, I worried about it some—could she call the cops and report me for indecent exposure?  In my own apartment?  

It’s not like I was standing in my sink & giving her a “Magic Mike” routine.  And for the record, I was wearing boxers not briefs.  Okay they were boxer briefs, but that’s plenty of coverage.  Am I over-thinking this? 

I later googled the law and read this:

“So, if you were walking around your house nude and someone else sees you through the windows, could you be convicted of this crime?  It depends. Your intent is very important in cases involving lewd acts in public. If you forgot the curtains were open and your neighbor saw you naked, you are not likely to be convicted of any crime because you did not intend to expose yourself to them and your act involved no sexual gratification.”

Ah, okay.  Well, my only gratification in the mornings is coffee!  So I decided not to worry about it anymore, and go about my day.  I drink my coffee, watch some news, look at my computer, make a small list of stuff I need from the store, shower, head out (whew it’s hot), come back, put said stuff away, go into my bedroom to change into something I can flop around in, undress, but I’m a bit damp from the walk to the store so I head into my kitchen to grab a paper towel to pat myself dry…

And that lady across the way is back in her window again (replacing her potted plant with a little cactus) and looks up to see me in my kitchen’s doorway again—this time without pants OR a shirt.  Howdy neighbor, you’re just in time for the afternoon show!

I try to look embarrassed, grab a couple paper towels and head back into my bedroom.  Fully dressed now in my baggy lounge wear, I go back into my kitchen for a glass of iced tea (and to show this woman what I look like with clothes on). 

The only thing looking back at me is her cactus.  Lady, welcome to the neighborhood.  But I think you’re going to need a bigger plant.

cactus-mini_thumb

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my blog. I really enjoyed this delightful and entertaining post. So well written.
    I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patti, very kind of you--thanks! I very much enjoyed your blog as well, spent part of my morning reading some of your posts. I can see why you're so popular. :)

      Delete
  2. Thats apartment life. Your lucky to have such a good view of all the activity in the neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spacer Guy! Yes I don't mind it one bit--I just hope she doesn't either :)

      Delete
  3. I saw your comment on Time Goes By. You are fortunate to have sisters; I have no sister or brother and wish I had. I enjoyed reading your post. I see you live in Pittsburgh, PA. I visited this town not long ago for the first time as my daughter is now living there with her family. I was pleasantly surprised by the city. My daughter would like me to move there, but I have been living in Georgia for years, moving north to Nashville now is north enough for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vagabonde, thanks so much for the kind words here... what a small world, your daughter living here. I hope she likes it as much as I do. I'm sorry you have no siblings, and I was very sorry to read about the passing of your husband--but what a colorful & interesting life you've led! I enjoyed the photos on your recent post too, I hope you enjoy your new abode in Nashville.

      Delete
  4. Laughing here. I have a pretty bad headache after three nosebleeds from the recent heat wave and you've managed to make me laugh. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you're okay River, my gosh! But haha, thanks! Much appreciated :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.