Monday, October 21, 2019

I’m ready to join the Bloggers Club… oh dagnabbit, now the bug’s bitten me too

A couple weeks ago, I was on Google’s Blogger forum looking for a solution to why the ‘Contact Me’ gadget in my sidebar had stopped working.  I was reading other blogger’s issues, and one asked “What happened to the ‘Next’ button in the toolbar, that took you to a blog similar to the one you were on?  I really miss finding new blogs to read.”

Good question, I’d been wondering the same thing for a couple months now—I used to click on that ‘Next blog’ button a lot.

Blogger’s response was they had removed that feature, as it wasn’t popular.  What a shame, I used to come across some real zingers in the blogosphere.

Plus it’s removal reduced the odds of your own blog being randomly ‘discovered’ as well.  Forget my gadget issue, I suddenly had the urge to find some new blogs to read.  I discovered it’s easier said than done. 

It’s simple enough to google ‘food blog’ or ‘tv blog’ or ‘travel blog’, there’s dozens—no hundreds of homegrown themed sites out there.  I wanted to find PERSONAL blogs, like mine.  People just sharing their own life stories.  How do you google that? 

On a whim, I googled “baby boomer blogs”  (people born between 1944 & 1964) and got a link to “The Top 100 Baby Boomer Blogs of 2019”.   I believe every blog listed had a variation of the word “Boomer” in the title, each with similar topics on how to be one.  (Not exactly what I was looking for.) 

But one stood out, “Time Goes By – What it’s really like to get old”.  I clicked on it.

timegoesby

I must’ve spent 3-4 hours reading (that first day, I’ve been back several times since).  It’s basically the life story of a 78 year old woman named Ronni, diagnosed in 2017 with pancreatic cancer.  It’s her own life’s journey, her mother’s battle with cancer, book recommendations, thoughts on everything from ageism to politics to pop culture.  She’s a remarkable writer and it was just a joy to read. 

Recently, one of her pieces was on Old Age & Loneliness.   Unsure if I was regarded as an old man (I’m sure my 15 year old niece would think so) but still relating to this piece in a big way, I posted this response:

Ronni, this topic is precisely how I found your wonderful blog just a week or so ago. I don’t know if 58 is considered old age, but this is a problem I wrestle with. If it wasn’t for a couple of my sisters (who live far from me but we connect thru email) I’d be in real trouble. I never married or had kids, so they’re the only family I’ve got.

I was able to save & invest thru the years, managed an early retirement a few years ago. I guess I didn’t realize all of my physical relationships were work-related ones. I was naïve at the time to think I’d maintain friendships I had there. Anyway, was just coming to my senses that I needed to be more proactive about this a year or so ago, when I developed chronic TMD after a kidney operation (a jaw disorder which limits my speaking & diet).  So… reading others blogs (and writing my own) has been a real help.

I didn’t expect or receive a respone (no one does, or she’d be spending most of her waking hours just doing that—her site’s very popular) but a couple hours later I received a personal message from someone who’d seen my comment—and then another, and another.  

Hmm… there’s some pretty nice people out there.   I later go on my own blog, click on the Visitors Map to see if anyone’s been there since morning and—what the—I’d gotten 29 visits in the space of a couple hours??

(What I soon discovered is that Ronni isn’t your typical blogger; she’s a professional writer, a world traveler & was Barbara Walters’ long-time producer.  My comment on her site had included a link to my own blog as well.)

I also received a few very nice comments on some of my own recent posts, from like-minded blggers.  When I visited their sites, I was surprised to find just what I’d been looking for—some warm, personal (and often funny) blogs.  The New Sixty, Cranky Old Man, Musings, Rants & Scribbles… written by older folks, and blogging the type of stuff I enjoy and appreciate most.

I was also surprised to discover a couple of them had chosen to ‘follow’ me.  For real?  They weren’t just one-time visitors?  I pulled my “Followers” gadget out of mothballs and plunked it in the upper mid-right of my blog’s sidebar.   Sigh, only 15 followers… a fraction of what these other bloggers have.   I wish I had more followers… why?  Why is that suddenly so important to me?   I emailed my sister:  “Do you have a gmail account?”  She said yes.  I said “Would you please click the Follow button on my teepee?  If you’re not a blogger it’s not going to send you alerts or anything, but it will allow you to leave comments on my posts without jumping thru any security hoops… and will help me feel a little less embarrassed about having only 15 followers.”

Hooray, 16 followers!   After 13 years, I’m starting to feel like a real blogger.  Smile

14 comments:

  1. This blog thing is a bit of an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And it was through Ronni's blog I also found you!

    A little hint tho'- don't get hung up on the number of 'public' followers you have, you'll drive yourself silly in the process. There'll be more 'private' readers/followers than you'll be aware of. Many read but would rather do it from the sidelines,
    Commenting elsewhere is the often the 'best' way to attract attention ie get people interested in who you are.
    Take care
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy! You're right, I'm usually one of those 'sideline readers' too--it's just recently I've been trying to come out of my shell more & comment more on others pages. Thanks again. :)

      Delete
  3. So glad you are keeping your toe in the water and plan to get all wet. I did a lot of blog hopping when I started. When I found a blog I liked, I checked their side bar for blogs they read and visited them. Good way to find like minded people. It is amazing the time you can kill doing this but it is usually good reading. Leave comments and they will come. Also,those that follow or comment are only a small portion of those that visit and leave no mark. Enjoy the trip Doug---it is addictive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, I always enjoy hearing from you! To be honest I used to do a lot of blog hopping myself (but mostly to sci-fi, retro or movie blogs) where we didn't really relate. I should've looked for more personal blogs (like yours) a lot sooner. :)

      Delete
  4. Found your blog through a comment you left on Cranky Old Man's (Joe's) blog. Names of blogs or people's profile names always intrigue me so I had to check it out. Been blogging since 2005; gosh I feel old, LOL. Number of followers or numbers of comments don't bother me. I just like to connect with other people and read what they have to write. I find new blogs by checking out comments people leave on blogs I follow. Such a great variety of blogs out there! Glad you are enjoying it all.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, thanks so much for dropping by--I just looked at your blog, I look forward to some reading. :) I appreciate your input too (on finding new blogs), it took me long enough but I am now doing the same--a lot of interesting people out there. :)

      Delete
  5. I like coming back here because your stories are genuine and well articulated. It neat reading about stuff which affects all of our lives but somehow in this mad rush world of internet, iphones and apps we're losing our humanity and becoming automitons. Thanks ApacheDug for reminding Google-God the little things matter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spacer Guy, you are too kind--thanks man! Well you know I've been a fan of your popular site for awhile now, so I am always honored when you come over here. Thanks again. :)

      Delete
  6. Hi, I'm River. I like your comments over at Cranky's and decided to come on over. I like what I've read so far and have added you to my reader list. I don't blog so often myself these days, inspiration packed up and left and while ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River, thanks for adding me to your blog list--I was looking at one of the blogs you follow, 'Hillbilly Mansion'. You follow some eclectic stuff, it was nice to see mine on there too. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  7. Hello there! It's so nice to meet you. And thank you for leaving your kind comment.

    Arkansas Patti is absolutely right about sidebars. I keep my cyber family on my sidebar and have gotten to know them quite well throughout the years. I haven't run into that problem with the Contact Me thing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay! Thanks so much for the kind comment here--I've been enjoying your own blog a good bit the last couple days so this is especially nice. (Interesting about the Contact gadget conundrum, from what I've been reading it's issue comes & goes.) Thanks again Kay, I look forward to more 'Musings' from you :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.