Tuesday, May 24, 2022

After twenty odd years, I’m embracing my inner geek—and my secret starship of shame

This is the bookcase in my bedroom.  It has items on it that connect to the kid still inside me, from the Indian drum on the first shelf, to my collection of horror & sci-fi comic book reprints from the 1950s on the bottom one.

There’s been a recent addition to this collection, on the very top of the bookcase on the left hand side.  That is a model of the Starship Voyager, from the Star Trek tv show of the same name that aired 1995-2001.

For over twenty years, that spaceship has been hidden away in my bedroom closet, with an old t-shirt draped over it.  (There’s a reason it’s been hidden, I’ll get to that in a minute.)  Anyway, around a month ago I was cleaning out my bedroom closet, saw it in the far back and thought “I should just throw that away.”

But when I fished it out and removed the t-shirt… why have I kept it hidden?  And up on top of the bookcase it finally went.

Here’s why it was squirreled away so long ago:  back in 1999-2000, when the internet was here but people still shopped in stores & the like, I’d spend my lunch hours downtown browsing various shops.  There was one store I was particularly fond of, that sold sci-fi collectibles.  And one day I saw this model ship on display and was amazed; for a model kit the attention to detail was startling. 

When I asked the salesman what I was looking at, he said “Oh that’s from Bandai, a Japanese company that makes high-end model kits.  They’re expensive, but have great resell value.”   When I asked how much the kit was, he said $76.00.   WHAT!

(Maybe that doesn’t sound so high today, but 25 years ago, the typical Star Trek model was $12-15.00.)   He told me that while the one on display wasn’t wired, the kits did come with wiring & lighting.

I didn’t buy it the first day, but returned a couple times to look at it.  Finally on the third or fourth day, the salesman told me “You should know I only have one of those left.”

I bought it.

You can still buy one today, but the price has gone up significantly

For the next couple of weeks, I’d come home from work and get busy with this model kit, in a thousand pieces on my dining table.  While I had experience modeling, I’d never worked with electrical wiring before and it was extremely daunting.  But eventually I finished, loaded it with batteries and turned it on.

Only some lights on top of the saucer came on, but they were yellowish and flickered, and made a buzzing sound.  After a few minutes, I smelled wires burning and those few lights blinked out.  It wouldn’t light again.

I remember feeling both angry & embarrassed, spending so much money on such a thing.  I was going to throw it away, but couldn’t bring myself to do it.  So up in the closet it went, where it remained for 22 years.

That is, until recently when I thought “Even if it is broken, it’s still a beautiful model and deserves to be seen.”  And for a couple weeks, I’ve been admiring it greatly.

But that isn’t the end of the story. 

A couple weeks ago, I reached out to an old friend of mine, Tom from Tom’s Sci-Fi Modeling and asked if he remembered me.  (We used to hang out on a science fiction message board in the early 2000s.)  He said he sure did, and we caught up on things since we last spoke in 2004.

I told him about my Bandai Voyager model, and sent him the photo above.  He said “It looks brand new.  Those are worth a few bucks.”  I said I thought so, but had no intention of selling it.  Further, I wanted to make it work like it was supposed to 20 years ago.

He told me I’d have to scout around for a .PDF of the assembly manual if I wasn’t comfortable opening it without one, but the good news was I wouldn’t have to break any cement seals.  He offered to sell me a small bundle of model wire and pack of microbulbs for $11.00 total.   I got them in 3 days.

I did write Bandai (for a copy of the manual) and left messages on a couple of sci-fi sites, but got no responses.  I wound up spending most of one evening figuring out how to open the model without breaking it, but found the issue right away; one of the main wires had been looped around a cluster of bulbs and melted through.  I replaced a couple sections of the wire and all of the bulbs coated in black, and made buffers using old corks.  

After I closed it up, I installed fresh batteries and said a silent prayer to Gene Roddenberry.  “Oh Great Bird of the Galaxy, make this damn model ship work again!”

I flipped the switch and light POURED from the model like I’d never seen.

(I’m sorry for the grainy photo, but I have an old camera and took this with no flash and all the lights out.)

Well, on the tv show it took Voyager 7 years to make it back home from the Delta Quadrant; as for my own starship, it took 3 times that long to be seen again.

But I’d say it was worth the wait!

37 comments:

  1. Being a faithful Treker myself, I LOVE it. So glad you dusted it off and fixed it. I can almost see why they get such a horrific price for it today. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, I didn't know you were a Trekker; just when you think you couldn't like someone any better.. thank you my friend! πŸ™‚

      Delete
  2. And she certainly is a beauty, Doug! No wonder you're proud of the lighting fix. Whenever things get rocky on this planet, you can glance over and say, "Beam me up outta here, Scotty!!!" Then "Warp speed ahead!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Florence, you said it!! You are a dear! πŸ˜„

      Delete
  3. I am a very impressed Trekker here, Doug! I absolutely love it. All I have is a model of Darmok and Picard from one of my favorite Next Gen episodes. That is an incredible ship and I am equally amazed that you got the lights working. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Margaret! I am equally impressed you have a model of Darmok and Picard, how cool is that! I knew you had the tunic but that model is something else. Nice! πŸ™‚πŸ‘

      Delete
  4. Wow! Way to Go Mr. Dug! Your grainy photo looks appropriate, like a scene from an atmospheric pic, with the Starship hovering over a planet with round windows (your drum.) Nice job diagnosing and repairing the ship. You could attend a Star Trek convention and fix others' models! Make sure you don't bump into your bookcase and knock that ship off the top shelf. My 34 year-old son gets a big expensive Lego set every Christmas. One of them is of a Star Trek thingie. We would like a video of the lights on your repaired ship if any of the lights flash or blink off and on. It's been so protected all those years, it probably has huge EBay valuation. Better put it in your Will as to who obtains that ship, in a time far, far away. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, what a nice surprise thanks Linda! That's pretty cool about your son and those expensive Lego sets, those things do climb in value big-time and I'm sure you know that! Well my quaint model doesn't do any flashing or blinking, but just seeing it up on that top shelf is joy enough for me. Had to laugh at your will statement though! Thanks for the very nice comment Linda. πŸ‘πŸ™‚

      Delete
  5. In my family, I have been made in charge of purchasing gifts for everyone for Christmas. After several years of giving a lot of gifts to my kids, wife and MIL without getting much in return, a couple years ago I purchased a high end Lego kit for a 1/8th scale Bugatti Chiron Race Car and spent a couple months that winter putting it together. I was amazed at how relaxing and fun it was doing that and I have been thinking about reliving my boyhood and taking it up more often, perhaps with something other than Legos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's very cool Ed. I need to check out those Lego kits! Well it's been a long time since I've assembled any models, but now you're making me think about it too. πŸ˜„. Thanks for sharing, Ed. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  6. Hahaha. Glad you got something from it. You have the patience of Job. Now how about assembling that coffee table under your bed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, you just made me laugh SO HARD! Now I can't remember what I was going to say! πŸ˜‚

      Delete
    2. Please tell me that's NOT still under your bed.

      Delete
    3. Haha River it is, but you'll be hearing more about it soon πŸ™‚

      Delete
    4. My other comments are disappearing faster than salt in a rainstorm :(

      Delete
    5. River, I appreciate your feedback. I'm sorry if something's gone missing πŸ€”

      Delete
  7. You should absolutely embrace your inner geek! Geeks are very special people and among my favorites. It is so cool that you brought your starship out again. Congrats on repairing the electronics! You're a talented guy. That is a real collector's item.
    By the way, did I see a Stephen King novel on your shelf? He's one of my many favorites. πŸ™ƒ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thank you!! And yes you saw a Stephen King book on there, I've owned and read every King book out there since college. He is in my Top 4 Book Authors. This would be a good blog topic for both of us. πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸ‘

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you kept it and got it to working like it should have. Those types of things usually increase in Value so it was a wise Investment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bohemian, I'm glad I kept it too. I'lI probably never get anything for it, but it makes me feel good seeing it on display up there after all these years. πŸ™‚

      Delete
  9. Some of those old things have a great deal of value to us ... and maybe to others as well. I'm not suggesting selling anything on your bookshelf, but you might be surprised to find out a few of the items are probably worth something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, as an official nerd I used to keep track of the value of these items--like this repaired model, which would be double in value if it was still in the box, unassembled. I do have a limited Edition numbered Batmobile from 2000, mint in box. And the older I get, the more inclined I am to open the darn thing.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. You just made me bust out laughing! Debby if I thought I could get that much for it, I seriously consider it! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„

      Delete
  11. Dug, I left a comment earlier today, but it seems to have disappeared. I think your starship is great and that we should keep things like that... for the memories, not the $. But of course in the long run, it could be a good investment too. We have all the Star Trek Christmas ornaments... some light up and one even says, "Live long and prosper". And kudos on getting your ship lit up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, I'm very sorry about your earlier comment but I'm glad you came back and reposted. I very much agree about keeping things for the memories like this item. But I can't help but be intrigued you have all the Star Trek Christmas ornaments, now those are worth something! Anyway thank you for the kudos! πŸ™‚πŸ‘

      Delete
  12. Voyager! I've only ever seen the Enterprise which my brother once made a model of. I don't think it had working lights though. I'm so glad you finally got the lights working on yours, it's fantastic! I see a Batmobile there too. I have a TARDIS that lights up and makes the sound of it taking off, but didn't build it, just bought it as is.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Doug, the starship looks great! I admire your patience all those years ago putting it together. And with fiddly lights?? Glad you hung on to it.
    I remember watching reruns of the original Star Trek when I was very young with my brother. Then I married a Trekkie and became one too. Monday nights are Star Trek nights in our house and we currently are watching Deep Space Nine.
    By the way, you are a very tidy guy!
    Enjoy the rest of your week.❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, thanks so much! I always love your comments, but this one has gotta be my favorite. Monday nights are Star Trek nights, yes! For me it's Thursday nights but it's been years since I've watched DS9 and I think that's going to be my summer thing. Thanks for the tidy comment too, I try! πŸ‘πŸ™‚♥️

      Delete
  14. Like Rian, my comment has also disappeared. Do you think blogger is limiting the numbers of comments or just randomly picking on people? my comments are disappearing all over the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I watched the original Star Trek when it was first shown on TV. However, I haven’t seen later versions or the films so I didn’t know about Voyager (only Enterprise).
    That’s certainly an impressive model, made even more so knowing that you didn’t glue yourself to it when you were constructing it.
    And to ramp up the impressiveness, your successful rewiring and getting all the lights and whatever to work. I wouldn’t have had the patience to do that; actually I wouldn’t have had the patience to build it in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, you're very kind sir. Thank you! But you know, I used to read your weekly music column and think along with 100 others I'm sure, this man is dedicated to his craft. I guess it all comes down to doing what you love! But thanks again Music Man! πŸ™‚πŸ‘

      Delete
  16. Oh wow! I used to watch Star Trek all the time. I am very impressed. That looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It took me awhile to get here, but I just have to congratulate you on that wonderful model. Bet it's worth a bit of change. I rewatched Voyager not long ago but am now in the middle of DS9, enjoying the escape from today's world into the Alpha Quadrant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan. It doesn't get better than DS9.

      Delete
  18. That is such a wonderful story, as is your telling of it. You're an excellent writer, Dug, and I'm picky in that dept. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim you are making my Friday!! Thank you very much!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.