Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Odds n’ Ends: Time for another music video roundup, Vol.4

I have 6 folders on Youtube:  YT movies, TMJ Exercises, Videos to Watch Later, Food Vids, ASMR Vids (designed to help you sleep) and finally ODDS N’ ENDS.

Those are videos (mostly music videos) I like to watch more than once for all sorts of odd reasons.  

I like to share them here when I collect ten or more, but I’m going with a smaller number now.  Do you collect Youtube videos? 

Danny & Armi, pop star royalty in 1970s Finland made famous on Youtube with “I Wanna Love You Tender”

Anyway, enough with the jibber-jabber; time to watch some music videos!

7.  “They Don’t Know” by Tracey Ullman, 1983

This past season on Curb Your Enthusiasm, I watched with unbridled glee as 60something Tracey Ullman played a somewhat gross, pap smeary councilwoman who Larry David seduces to get the law changed about a fence surrounding his pool.  Brilliant as ever, and I can’t believe she’s only 2 years older than me!

It took me back to the first time I saw her, on MTV and her hit single below.  It was love at first sight 40 years ago, and it is again today. 

6.  “Clair” by Gilbert O’Sullivan, 1972 

When you look up and smile, I don't care what people say, To me you're more than a child… oh Clair

This is a curious song, a medley of sweet & strange.  I’m sure in 1972 it was charming and innocent, but watching this 50 years later while listening to those lyrics… I feel uneasy.  I can’t imagine someone attempting this today.

Clair (in her 50s now) defends Gilbert’s song, insisting he was a friend of her family and the caring was (and still is) genuine.  Got it, Clair!

 

5.  “Can’t Cry Hard Enough” by Andy & David Williams, 1992

If you grew up in the late 60s/early 70s, you might remember this pair.  They were twin nephews of Andy Williams and had a hit song “Say It Again” which they sang on The Partridge Family.  But for all their talent and teen magazine Tiger Beat’s efforts, they never found real success.

Twenty years later, they hit the charts again with this song.  It’s wonderful.  I heard it shortly after my mom passed in 2004 and it still makes me cry today.

4.  “Here, There & Everywhere” by Claudine Longet, 1967 

Speaking of Andy Williams, remember his teen bride Claudine Longet?  (He was in his thirties when they wed, she was only 18.)  Then she divorced him, manslaughtered her ski instructor/lover in 1976 and Andy came to her rescue!

Anyway, while this is NOT an ASMR video (designed to make you sleep) it should be.  It’s the last thing I’ve been listening to every night for a couple weeks now, and it knocks me right out.

 

3.  “Remember Me” by The Osmonds, 2012

I know, I know—I can’t seem to do one of these music video blogs without the Osmonds.  Well I can’t help it, I love these guys—and while this one’s on the sappier side, I like how it manages to give each brother a brief solo. 

2.  “Always Look on the Bright Side of Life” featuring the North Korean Military, 2022 

The only thing I love more than North Korean propaganda is North Korean SATIRE, and this video steals the show.  If you can only watch one of these, watch this one—it’s fabulous.  Move over Monty Python!

 

1.  “Run to You” Whitney Houston cover by Lucy Thomas, 2022

I included Lucy in my last video roundup, I like her that much.  You wouldn’t know she’s British by listening to her rendition of this Whitney Houston song, but if you wait to the end she’ll say a brief, thoughtful thank you which gives her accent away. 

There is just something “old school” about this young lady, and I hope she doesn’t change her tune anytime soon.

 

kokopelli_thumb1 

27 comments:

  1. I remember playing the Williams brothers song over and over when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone else remembered their song besides me!

      Delete
  2. Hi Doug, what a great mix of videos! I had forgotten about Tracey Ullman being a singer, great song. Loved to see Paul McCartney at the end. The Osmonds just keep going and going. The North Korean video was very funny!
    Enjoy your week Doug.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, and I AM enjoying my week thanks to lovely comments like yours! :^)

      Delete
  3. It's so interesting to see these. I was more into hard rock, so most of them are new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omigoodness--wait, is this the Margaret I know so well?? :^)

      Delete
    2. My musical tastes range from classical to rock with a distaste for jazz and country thrown in. I have a mixed reaction to pop--some I like and some I don't. My taste doesn't match many people's!

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a good eclectic mix. I can enjoy pretty much anything except for heavy metal & rap! šŸ˜–

      Delete
  4. Just took a break from landscaping to watch those videos. Now I've got a Tracey ear flea on a loop. Nice and swingy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, haha--I know all about that Tracey flea!! Thanks for chiming in my friend! :^)

      Delete
  5. Wow this was all new to me but I enjoyed them. I didn't know Andy had singing nephews and Tracy sings? Paul was a surprise on that one. Disco drove me to country that decade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hsha--Patti I don't know why that made me chuckle but it did! Thanks for your comments I always appreciate hearing from you. šŸ™‚šŸ‘

      Delete
  6. I am a fan of Andy Williams. So sad about the mess involving his ex-wife. I'll listen to all this on my tablet, as the sound doesn't work on my desktop. Thanks. You know how I love music. North Korea too? Well, I shall listen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I was thinking of you when making this, as I don't listen to a lot of classical music and I know you do. I hope the North Korean video doesn't upset you it's meant to be satire!

      Delete
  7. I see you’re wandering into my territory. Well, not really – Gilbert O’Sullivan is the only one whose music I have. Even with him, “Alone Again (Naturally)” is the only one of his that springs to mind. However, after playing “Claire”, it’s another I remember.

    I hadn’t encountered the Williams Brothers before, but they’re not bad. They have that sibling harmony that I always like.

    It was hard to miss Claudine Longet in the 60s, but her singing didn’t impress me then and even less so now – covering a Beatles song. Oh dear.

    Oh my goodness, The Osmonds. Perhaps it’s our age difference.

    The North Korean Military were a hoot. Perhaps this is the only context where you could say that.

    Lucy was fine, but that style does nothing for me. I understand it’s quite popular though.

    Tracey’s vid was blocked in this neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Peter, thanks for your analysis and dammit I'm sorry about Tracy. But you're the musicologist here, I'm just some joe on the street who likes music like he does junk food. (I don't exactly have a refined palette, haha). But I did think of you when comprising this little list, I miss your Sunday music pieces on Time Goes By. You should probably set up a blog of your own, devoted to music!

      Delete
  8. WOW Doug, that really took me back! I had forgotten about a few of those people. My Mother was a big fan of Andy Williams and I remember when he was married to Claudine Longet and they used to do those big Christmas specials. I love that you have an Odds n’ Ends folder! I have several folders called that on my computer but they contain other things and not videos. I don't collect YouTube videos but I do have a few subscriptions to some You Tube channels. Take care Doug and have a happy week! šŸ˜Š




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie, I sure hope you have a great week too! šŸ™‚

      Delete
  9. I remember when Clair came out, I didn't like it then and don't like it now. None of the other songs do anything for me either, I don't like my music slow and sappy. The best of the bunch here was The Osmonds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you River! You always tell it like it is šŸ™‚šŸ‘

      Delete
  10. Interesting ... all new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom but half of it is pretty old! šŸ˜‰

      Delete
  11. Thanks, Doug. I will save this post and listen later when I have more time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, can't you cancel your Thursday hike and give this priority? I'm sorry, I'm just kidding! You're very kind DJan, thank you.

      Delete
  12. I loved "They Don't Know" so much that I bought 3 of Tracey Ullman's CDs - nothing on any of them were as good as that one classic single, but she did perform a catchy cover of Doris Day's "Move Over, Darling." More importantly, that song led me to the original version by Kirsty MacColl, whose "Best of" CD is one of the most wonderful collection of pop songs I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow--I had no idea Tracey had that much music out, I thought it was just the one album. And now I'm intrigued by this Kirsty MacColl, I need to check that out--thanks David!

      Delete
  13. I remember Claudine Longet, but didn't know (or remember) the notoriety.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.