Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Meanwhile at the Tiffany Apartments… can I be mental here?

Can I be honest here?  Well, I’m always honest here—but there’s a lot I don’t share, because I don’t want people to think I’m not right in the head.  For one thing, I’m what you call an ‘extroverted introvert’.  If you plop me in the middle of a social gathering, I have no problem talking to anybody & everybody.  I’m no shrinking violet.

Of course, the moment I leave said event and am back in the confines of my own apartment, I think “Thank God that’s over” collapse on the sofa and sleep for a couple hours.  People drain me of my superpowers.

And speaking of my apartment, I have always seen it as my Batcave, my Fortress of Solitude.  I’m a loner, I don’t entertain.  Wait, that’s not true.  If I can have one guest, super—I’ll serve up refreshments and make them feel at home.  If it’s two guests?  Thanks for stopping by, sorry you can only stay a few minutes.

Three or more?  Nope.  I can’t do it and at my age, I’m tired of feeling guilty about it.

I admire the ones who do.  My sister Shawn loves having people in her home, the more the merrier. I remember on Halloween 2018, it was my birthday and I was sitting alone on my sofa trying to eat a scrambled egg, but was unable to because of pancreatitis.  Feeling sorry for myself, I called my sister to see what they were up to. 

“Hi Doug, Happy Birthday!  JIM—SET OUT THAT FOURTH TRAY OF CHICKEN, WE HAVE TEN MORE COMING!  Sorry Doug I can’t talk, we’re having an Open House, why should trick-or-treaters have all the fun?  Sophia, come and say hello to your Uncle Doug!”

The reason I share this is because I invited someone here for dinner the other night, but she wouldn’t let me take her photo.  The night before, around 10:30, it occurred to me I’d never checked my mail.  Slipped on my shoes, went down to the lobby.  There was my friend Opal, who I have not seen since Christmas.  She was sitting on the settee (which has been in storage 2 years because of the pandemic), paperback in hand.  I said hi, asked how she was doing, was she happy to have her throne back.

Opal threw her head back and laughed (she laughs at everything I say) and asked me to please sit down for a few minutes and talk.  So I did, but after 10 minutes I said my tv and laptop were both on upstairs, I should head back up.  She said “But I need to discuss current events!  Why do you think I sit down here like some prostitute!”

She is very funny—I said I was sorry, would she like to come by my place tomorrow for dinner?  I like to eat early, I know she does too.  Opal said “Are you serious?  Do I have to dress up?”  I said no, come as you are.  (She wears a lot of housecoats.)   She said “Are you really cooking?”  I said yes.  She said “Can it be anything besides chicken?  Or pizza or hamburgers?”  I said I’d come up with something. 

Here’s what I made the following day:  English sausages with roasted red peppers, and jalapeno rice.  I also had Italian rolls, fresh lemonade, and served chocolate ice cream for dessert.

Opal arrived on time and said “Oh boy, it smells good in here!”  I told her everything was ready, let’s get to eating.  After she sat down at my dining table, I said “Hey… can I ask you a favor?  Could I take a photo of you with your food?”

She said “Why?  To put me on the dark web?”  I laughed and said she was close, I thought I’d share it on my blog.  Or, show a friend I had company for dinner and wasn’t a total social misfit.  Opal said “I don’t want my photo taken, but go ahead and tell everyone I was here!  Who’s this friend of yours?”  I said “Oh, someone who suspects everything I tell her—forget the photo, I’ll collect some DNA evidence before you go”  and we both laughed. 

We got to talking about things like the Supreme Court (who I refer to as SCOTUS and she calls SCROTUM) and antidepressants & blood pressure meds we were both on, and we compared the edema in our feet & ankles.

The next day, my friend Danielle emailed me and asked how my date went.  I replied “It wasn’t a date, she is a friend & neighbor only.  No romantic interest on either side.”  She asked what Opal looked like.  I said “Well, she’s in her sixties, has shoulder length blondish gray hair, crinkly eyes.”

Danielle said “I want a pic.”  I said “There is no pic!  And she doesn’t have a smartphone or a computer, and she’s not on social media!  What would you have me do??”  Danielle said “I still want a pic.”

An hour later I sent Danielle this photo and said “Here!  She won’t let me take her picture, but this is from Opal’s Employee ID badge from 2019, when she worked for Anderson Insurance!  I hope you’re satisfied!”

A short while later Danielle replied “She looks nice!”

I said “This isn’t really Opal, it’s a random woman I found on the internet that had shoulder length blondish hair and crinkly eyes!”

Danielle said “I totally fell for this!  I believed you!”

I said “Well, that’s what you get for pestering me for a photo!  I told you, Opal’s not on social media, she isn’t part of the internet.  She’s a 69 year old woman who had a bunch of kids, they’re all grown up and moved away except for one daughter who’s 34 and lives with her.  After her husband died, Opal sold their old house and the two moved in here.  All she’s looking for is a friend!”

Danielle replied “What’s her last name?  I’m gonna need a last name.”

37 comments:

  1. You are so funny, Doug! Your dinner looks scrumptious to a carnivore (which I am not, but still). Thanks for giving me some laughs, especially that weird cookie at the last! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, reading this from you makes me feel much better about sharing this. Thank you! 🙂

      Delete
  2. Danielle sounds really smart and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is smart and funny and why do I have a feeling this is her! 😄

      Delete
  3. Once an online acquaintance wanted to see a picture of me so I did a google search and found a photo of some random guy and sent it to her. She then proceeded to go on and on about this or that about "my looks." Eventually I fessed up which only pissed her off.

    I'm like Opal, I don't want my picture posted all over the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Ed, I'm glad you shared this. Because frankly I was thinking about asking you where the hell your face was! But I totally get it. 🙂👍

      Delete
  4. Hi Doug, I love this post! Sounds like you and Opal had a lovely evening. I am with Opal, don’t want my photo online. A couple times a friend has posted a photo of me on her blog. I wasn’t too happy. Glad you asked Opal about it first.
    I am very much like you Doug. I enjoy being with certain people but I get to a point where I have had enough and just need to be alone for a few hours....or days.
    It has been awhile since we have had dinner guests. Mostly family members and close friends. I am NOT very confident of my cooking skills so hesitant to invite people. Family and friends know what I cook like so won’t except something fancy!
    Danielle is hilarious!
    Enjoy the rest of your week.❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, this was interesting to read and believe it or not I'm not surprised. From our personal talks about retro clothes, I always got the feeling we were alike. Thanks for sharing this, and I think you would like Opal and Danielle both! 🙂👍

      Delete
  5. This is a wonderful post! We are the same, Doug. I can play at being an extrovert and did for decades at my job. But it takes a lot out of me. It's great to have friends! Romance can be complicated and stressful. :) I love what you did with the fake photo although I'm also insanely curious about what people look like, mainly so I can picture them in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Margaret! I appreciate your honesty, wow I am feeling a lot better about sharing this, haha! Well I have shared Danielle's pic on my blog a couple times, I do wish I could share Opal. She reminds me of Mindy Cohn who played Natalie on facts of Life! 🙂

      Delete
  6. Aww, I like Opal. She is funny and you both bounce quips off eachother nicely. My brother is like her--no pictures. He thinks some creep will put his face on a naked body. I told him they usually pick great bodies for that and he shouldn't worry:) Not budging.
    You did a great job hosting, should do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thanks very much and I guarantee it you would like Opal a LOT. She is very honest and very smart but won't hurt your feelings. She reminds me of you in many respects. Anyway, you made me laugh about your brother! And I don't blame his paranoia one bit, you will see why in an upcoming blog of mine! Thanks for your always great comment Patti. 🙂👍

      Delete
  7. That always annoys me when guests don't want their picture on my blog. On the other hand, if you look bad, then of course, no posting, please! I understand. That meal looks good. I would eat it. I like to socialize, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, and you almost made it into this blog! When I was writing about my sister, I thought of all the gatherings you've had at your house including your karaoke party! Anyway, thank you for the meal comment too! 🙂👍

      Delete
  8. Gosh Doug, can't remember when I actually invited someone over for lunch. You did yourself proud! Friends occasionally drop in here -- a long standing country custom. Usually one at a time and they never expect more than a coffee and cookie. I like most people but am only COMPLETELY relaxed on my own. Opal sounds like a delight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See Florence? We are two peas from the same pod! Yes, Opal is a very funny, upfront person. I'm going to have to sit her down for an interview or something. 😄

      Delete
  9. Hey Doug, thanks for your explanation of an extroverted introvert because you helped me to put a name on what I am! I love people but after a little time with others I need my "Fortress of Solitude"!
    Both Opal and Danielle sound like fun people. Somehow I had thought Opal was much older, she's actually my age. I know, I'm not exactly young. It's wonderful that you invited her over for dinner and I'm sure she was impressed by your cooking skills! You are so funny to send Danielle a fake picture. I understand how Opal feels about pictures online. One of my sons is the same way so I respect his feelings and don't post any pictures.
    I'm happy you had a nice evening with a friend! 😊


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thanks very much for the nice comment! It's nice to know another extro-introvert, I think more of us need to come out of the closet 😄 Thank you for the nice food comment too, I have you to thank for the jalapeno rice idea, you know... 😋

      Delete
  10. How funny, and I fell for it too and thought that was Opal and that she looked very nice too and quite Young for a Woman in her Sixties! *LOL* I am Social but I do like my Solitude and the Older I get the more of it I seem to need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Bohemian! It's been nice how yourself and others have been so kind and good humored about my...mental behavior. It's also been nice how people like yourself relate to the need for solitude. 🙂

      Delete
  11. I'm glad you and Opal had a nice dinner and maybe you can do it again some time. I don't think Danielle needs a last name, a description is good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you River. To be honest, I'm not sure of Opal's last name myself! My friend Danielle considers herself a private detective, I'm sure she would have dug up something on poor Opal! 😄

      Delete
  12. Dug, we haven't 'entertained' in years. Oh, we've had the kids over... and once this past year, had a dear friend over for coffee. But that's about it. And your dinner looks wonderful. I don't care for sausage myself, but the boys love it (and I do use it as seasoning - especially in the red beans). We have what we call a Salmon-Sausage night here. When I eat Salmon (which I love and the boys don't), they eat a sausage meal!

    Also your friend, Danielle, sounds like a character... wanting to know all the details of your 'date'. This is her personality. I find myself to be the opposite... curious or not, I don't often ask personal questions (not even with my kids)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, I would easily call family in the house as company, I think you've done your fair share of entertaining! I love the idea of a salmon sausage night, now you've got me hungry for both. 😋 As for my friend Danielle, she IS a character. But she's a good person and I've shared so much with her over the years that I honestly don't mind any questions she might have about people I meet. That's just the private investigator in her. 🙂👍

      Delete
  13. I just realised from noticing your heading that you live in the Tiffany apartments.
    I guess, each morning you have breakfast at Tiffany’s. (Yeah, I know, count the number of times you’ve heard that).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--Peter I never hear it and it's about time I did! BTW, this is a little uncanny. I just now finished watching a documentary, The Capote Tapes. 😎👍

      Delete
  14. Glad you have someone to kibbitz with. I wrote that, then wondered if one or two "b's". So I looked up definition -- only one.... says, "kibitz -- look on and offer unwelcome advice". I thought it just meant like chatting back and forth with someone, nothing to do with giving advice. Then, I see kibbutz in the picture confusing the whole matter. Oh well, that's just another example of my not knowing what I'm talking about. I'm sure you never have that problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared, maybe most Americans do see kibbitz as you do, cuz "harmless chit-chat" is what I thought it meant too. So I appreciate the thought, and thank you for this early morning chuckle.☺️

      Delete
  15. Well, for a loner you lead a very interesting life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, I guess it's all how you look at things. 🙂

      Delete
  16. Came vis DJan and loved reading this. I had never read introvert/extrovert or extrovert/introvert but that description of how you handle parties is so like me. Now my husband, on the other hand, can talk and socialize for hours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just made my Sunday morning, thank you Tabor! 🙂👍

      Delete
  17. I must have your recipe for jalapeno rice, sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby my dear and funny friend, it is a flavor from Rice-a-Roni! 😄. But I can assure you it is really tasty... It has a cheddar cream sauce too.

      Delete
  18. Awww... I think this is so lovely. Opal sounds like a wonderful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so weird. I could swear I left comments here and it's not there. Hmmm... I think it's cool that the name of your apartment is my daughter's name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay, I appreciate your comments! But you don't have to leave them on older blogs...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.