Sunday, December 1, 2019

Learning the hard way, there’s nothing more important than family

Here’s 3 of my 5 siblings:  that’s my sister Shawn and her husband Jim on the left, my sister Courtney and her husband Robert on the right, my brother Steve and his wife Ann seated.

Courtney & Robert traveled from Ohio to Pennsylvania on Saturday to spend the day with family.

It breaks my heart I wasn’t there too.  (With this awful oral splint, I’m unable to talk, unable to eat solid food, unable to crack a smile—not that I have any reason to.)

I was happy to see this, but at the same time it makes me sad too.  What makes this especially difficult is that I haven’t seen my sister Courtney in 19 years, since our Dad’s funeral in 2001.  Until a year or so ago she’s lived in Florida and…. oh, it’s a long story, as most family stories are.  Suffice it to say, it just would’ve been really nice to see everyone today, together again.  

I read recently that 5-10% of the population wrestles with temporomandibular jaw disorder; if that’s true, why do I feel so damn alone with this?  Still, if you google ‘TMJ Reddit’  there sure seems to be a lot of people out there with this issue…

I also read that for 80% of TMJD sufferers, the condition often goes away within 18 months; tomorrow’s my one year anniversary with it, I sure am hoping it’s true & I’m in that 80 percent.

Anyway—I didn’t mean for this to be a big self-pity party.  I’m just missing a lot of people, places & things right now, namely this group above.   I love & miss you all, and hope I’m well enough to see you all again soon.

tpsymbol

13 comments:

  1. Oh Doug... I'm so sorry. That's so hard that you weren't able to be there. As you know I suffer from it too, but not to the degree that you are having to deal with now. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that it will ease up soon and perhaps you can all get together for the rest of the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Kay, it IS getting better (but taking it's sweet time about it). I know you deal with it too, I'm sorry you do but good to know I have a kindred spirit out there. I'm keeping an optimistic outlook :)

      Delete
  2. That's a handsome family you have there Doug. Soon enough the jaw will be better (fingers crossed) and you can get together with them all for a good meal and a good talk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much River... I certainly hope I can soon too. Appreciate that.

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of this jaw issue, I certainly hope it does clear up after time. 15 years ago I had Whooping Cough. It was miserable and there didn't seem to be anything doctors could do or give me. They didn't even diagnose it as Whooping cough as it was not so common then. Turns out the vaccine everyone had does not last forever. Anyway I told the Doctor I thought it was WC. He said if I was right it would go away after 100 days, as it is sometimes called the 100 day cough. It was almost 100 days exactly that it just went away an I was fine.

    Reason for this story, hopefully this jaw thing will be similar and soon run its course as mysteriously as you came down with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joe..wow about that whooping cough. (I've heard of it, never had it.) This TMJD, I never even HEARD of it until July 2016, after my dentist re-cemented a crown that made my bite 'ride high'. Got it then pretty bad for 6-7 months but it did fade completely. This time is from surgery & getting oral intubation, which can re-trigger it. All I can do is wait & hope... thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
    2. I've had fillings that were too high and always got back to the dentist the next day or the same day if I could and had them smoothed down. Sometimes I'd notice before I even got out of the chair and had the filling fixed. Now I've been seeing the same dentist for so long, she knows not to leave a filling high.

      Delete
  4. It was at least nice that you got the family picture but that also had to make the absence even more depressing. Really hope you are in the 80% Doug and the end is insight. Maybe you need a medical alert bracelet to let them know your condition so if you ever need any future aid around the mouth for them to VERY BE CAREFUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Patti--you summed up my feelings exactly. (And as a matter of fact, the TMJA website strongly recommends former & current TMJD people get a medical ID bracelet saying DO NOT ORAL INTUBATE). You are one smart cookie. :) PS. I know you were under the weather last week, hope you're feeling better.

      Delete
  5. Dougie, I swear on my head that I'm not just saying this, but I've felt this way before; wanting so much to be at family gatherings but...
    Well, I sympathize. I do. Let me offer you this: someday this will be just a memory & we'll shake our heads at how difficult it was. I promise. And, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney--yep, looking forward to this being a bed memory, the sooner the better! Anyway, I'm very glad you guys had a nice visit with Shawn, Jim, Steve, Ann & Sophia. And the next time I will be there too :) Love you too.

      Delete
  6. Hey Dug family are great when times are tough. I've read TJM can affect hearing and often is a possible for tinnitus which all considered is enough to drive one stark raving mad, listening to bees all day long like a broken down record player, if only. Still thank heavens for the powers of medical science, theres always light at the end of the tunnel. Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Spacer--well, I've been dealing with this tmjd for about a year now, I did go thru 'ear stages', pretty nasty stuff. Hoping it clears up soon, pretty much a waiting game. Hope you have a Merry Christmas too :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.