Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Goodbye Dolly

Mom & Dolly Parton, 1971

In the early 1970s, my dad was a weekend fixture (a singer & piano man) on the WWVA Jamboree, a country music radio show in Wheeling, West Virginia.  It was second only to the Grand Ole Opry, and my parents got to meet and hang out backstage with some pretty big names--Jerry Lee Lewis, Charley Pride, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash--and Dolly Parton.

I was never a big fan when it came to her music, but of course I loved her dearly and in the few movies she made; 9 to 5, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Steel Magnolias.  Never missed her on tv, she was always funny and sweet & honest in every interview.

And of course, she devoted her life to helping millions thru various charities and her famous literacy program.

Anyway, I was just sitting down with my dinner and turned on the 4:30 local news and saw where she'd died.  I've only shed tears over 2 celebrity deaths in the last 20 years--Ralph Waite (who played John Walton on The Waltons) in 2014, and Leonard Nimoy in 2015.  Dolly Parton is the third.   Goodbye, Dolly.

20 comments:

  1. Aw, Doug. Your shed tears for celebrities were for significant ones in your life, that's for sure. What an interesting bit of background concerning your family and famous musicians. Really like the photo. What an interesting family life you had. Hope you're having a good week LC-wise. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty rough week to be honest, Kim...but thank you.

      Delete
  2. What a magnificent woman she was was , and what a life she led . The BBC are reporting that she would have been a billionaire, but she was so generous that she donated much of her wealth .
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I adored Ralph Waite too
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. 🙂 I hope you're doing good with your knee.

      Delete
  4. I remember Dolly more as a terrific songwriter, but even more as a great philanthropist.
    She contributed her fortune to many great causes – promoting literacy, not just in America but around the world. Also, the Red Cross, building hospitals and cancer centres as well as giving money towards the development of a covid vaccine.

    If only other super rich people were so generous, or even a teeny bit generous.

    You were one of a kind, Dolly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doug, I too was saddened to hear of Dolly's passing. She was an extremely talented singer/songwriter and a genuinely nice person; very generous and unpretentious. She will be missed. That's a cool photo of her with your mom. Has anyone ever mentioned your mom looks like Tammy Wynette?
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I mentioned that his mom looked like Tammy awhile back. I'm glad you agree!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Steve, nicely said about Dolly you summed her up well. And I appreciate very much what you said about the photo and my mom looking like Tammy Wynette! Bobi my friend, you too. ❤️🙂👍

      Delete
  6. Doug, I, too, was stunned and deeply sad when I heard the news this afternoon about Dolly. I had read lately that she had some health issues but there was no indication that she was seriously ill so I was very surprised. She was very likely the ONLY person who was loved and respected by everyone in America--regardless of background or political views. I can't think of anyone else. Her honest and sincere heart was refreshing and unique in the celebrity world. Many may not have know that she was also one of the most shrewd and savvy business women in show business. We lost a beautiful soul and beacon of light today. I have a feeling her legacy will live on for a long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, you're going to make me cry again. Gosh this was so sweet, thank you.

      Delete
  7. I was shocked at her passing too! I knew she was sick, but, just wow, can't believe she's gone, but what a legacy! She was definitely one of a kind and beloved by all. I always thought she would've make a fabulous president.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two beautiful women in that photo Doug. Your Mom sure was a stunner too. As with everyone else, it was a shock to see Dolly's death reported today. She'll be long remembered.for her kindness and generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is amazing Doug. When I was a child, my parents took us to Wheeling several times to see the Jamboree. So strange to think that perhaps I heard your Dad play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, thanks for sharing that. Oh my gosh! 😲

      Delete
  10. Like you I was never a fan of her music, but I certainly was a fan of her kindness, warmth, generosity and general goodness. What a fabulous person and such a huge loss! In a year of unending tragedies and chaos, her death feels like even a bigger blow. That is a stunning photo!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, it means a lot to hear from you.