Thursday, April 14, 2022

People come and go so quickly here, don’t they

I hesitate sharing this right now, for a couple of reasons.  First, my heart just feels very heavy.  Second, it’s been too soon.  Third, I don’t want a friend’s death to be viewed as an opportunity to have a new blog-post.

At the same time… I’m having trouble keeping quiet about it too.  Someone I know, Candace Merriman, died on Monday, April 11.  It wasn’t an accident, but it was unexpected.  She’d only been sick for a month before things took a turn for the worse.

For some reason, it’s hard coming to terms with this.  Candace was funny, feisty and VERY smart.  She was six months younger than me, and one of the first people I worked with when I joined UPMC Health Plan 22+ years ago. 

After I retired in 2015, she was one of three people I stayed in touch with.  Not as much as I have with the other two, but we still exchanged notes in our birthday & Christmas cards, and when Trump was in office we had some very long phone chats.

When I first met Candace in 2000, she was a manager with a nice office and a cool bubble gum machine on her desk.  I was assigned to work with her on a series of healthplan member reports for Heinz Foods. 

A couple years later, my boss announced Candace was stepping down as manager and joining our IT team as a business analyst.  She’d be in the desk in front of mine.  On her first day, she said “Hi Doug!” and I said “I can’t process this, I’m too used to seeing you as a superior, not an equal.”  She said “Why does that have to change?”

That was Candace—everything came with a sly smile and twinkle in her eye!

Over the years, sitting in such close proximity, I learned a lot about her life as she did mine.  I remember in 2007, the day after The Big Bang Theory debuted on CBS, she asked me what I thought of the premiere episode.  When I told her I hadn’t seen it and had no intention of watching the show, she said “But Doug!  The show was created just for you!  I swear to God I’m going to lose it if you don’t watch the next episode!”

She was right, I fell in love with it and we discussed every episode for years.

I’m sorry, I could go on & on about a hundred little things.  I do want to say this—I’ve never liked getting advice from anyone, but I did ask for it on several occasions from Candace and she never steered me wrong.  The stock portfolio in my retirement account… she helped me choose them.  Our boss, notorious for ignoring much of what we had to say, often came to her desk for her input as well.

I know a close one’s death always seems unfair, but Candace and her husband John had just sold their home on the Southside for a wonderful house outside of the city.  He had recently retired, and Candace (who would’ve turned 60 on Friday) was still working but planning to retire soon as well.  

Candace, I will miss you for a long, long time.

 

33 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to a good friend! Hold your memories of her close as you work through your grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bobi, that was very sweet of you to say.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking of you yesterday but refrained from commenting on your blog so I was shocked to see a new post today and saddened to learn the reason for it. It was a lovely tribute and I'm sure she will be missed.

    I read her full obituary online and saw that she probably was under the care of Hospice in her final days. You probably weren't reading my blog back then but I lost my mom to brain cancer at age 63 and if it weren't for hospice, I'm not sure any of us would have survived those last weeks. They are a godsend and I hope someday I can give back to them in a meaningful way for the care they provided my mom in those final weeks. Knowing Candace was in their care, I know she was loved and well cared for in her final days/weeks as well.

    So sorry for your loss my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ed, this was very nice to read. How long ago did your mom pass? To be honest, I know just how you feel. My mom passed at 63 too, from cancer that had traveled to her brain. We too had a very positive experience with hospice.

      Delete
    2. It will be four year this fall.

      Delete
  3. So sorry about your friend, Mr. Dug. It's hard to lose someone that you were close to for so many years. Quickly passing has it's advantages, but certainly leaves those left behind bewildered. Keep remembering the good times. A bubble gum machine on the desk would certainly draw lots of co-worker chats. Take care of YOU too! Her heart knows that you care. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so very sorry about your friend. She definitely sounds like someone I would have loved! It never gets easier to lose people we care about. You have done her proud with your tribute to her in this post. Sending hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you would have liked her just fine I know it! Anyway thank you for the nice words here it's appreciated. 👍🙂

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss, and why shouldn't you write about it here, it's your blog to use in the way you want. The good and the bad, the serious and the trivial. Lovely tribute to a lovely lady, gone too soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Doug... I'm so sorry for your loss. Candance sounds like a truly kind and wonderful friend. And it's always hard to lose a friend. It's especially sad because she was so young. It doesn't feel fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, this was so nicely said. We weren't like we used to be, but when we reconnected it was like zero time had passed. I could fill a book with all the good memories about her. And you're right it wasn't fair at all. 😔

      Delete
  7. Doug, this is a beautiful tribute to a special lady who was lost far too soon. She sounds like a such a wonderful person that was loved by all. We are all your friends and for that reason it can be good for you to share your grief. When your heart is heavy the weight is lightened when shared. I'm sorry for your loss Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh Bonnie, this put a lump in my throat. You're very kind and I really am glad we're friends. Thank you. PS I hope you let your readers know what happened with jury duty. 🙂

      Delete
  8. Dug, there are 'no words' when someone close to you passes. nothing one says seems 'enough'. But even though it's hard to imagine that they are not in your life anymore, they are still there (IMO anyway)... in your heart, in your memory, and perhaps even closer than we know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very sweet, thanks Rian. That last thing is a nice thought. 🙂

      Delete
  9. A lovely tribute for your friend Candace. Sounds like a wonderful lass who enriched the people lucky enough to have known her. Her life, though way too short, to be honoured and kept warm in your memory. I'm sure she treasured your friendship as well, Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, you always have such a nice way with words. This was nice to read, thank you. 😔

      Delete
  10. It's always a shock when someone goes unexpectedly, whether it's a friend or a close friend, we still feel awful.
    Candace will live on in your memories of her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that is so sad. My condolence to you and her family. She was witty, funny and smart. A good friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, she really was a good friend. 🙂

      Delete
  12. Doug, I am so sorry. Candace sounds like an incredible lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin you're very kind. I really think you would have liked her. Hope you and Chuck are doing well. 🙂

      Delete
  13. I'm so sorry Doug, this was a lovely tribute Post to your Dear Friend, she sounded like someone most of us would have loved to know. Virtual Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bohemian you're very sweet, thank you. 🙂❤️

      Delete
  14. I'm sorry. It is always a shock to lose a friend, especially a friend that you see as a contemporary. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So sorry about the loss of your friend and so suddenly. I think this is one of the hardest things about getting older -- more and more friends and family leave this life the older we become.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.