Thursday, May 9, 2024

My friend and classmate Karen, our school marriage, aging and the realities of everything

This is my friend Karen Huffman, one of her senior class photos from high school.  She gave it to me along with a handwritten note that I somehow managed to hold on to after all these years.

We didn’t date in high school but were very close, and some in our class assumed we were a thing as did a couple of our teachers.  In our senior year we signed up for a class about marriage titled “On Our Own” where we took part in a mock wedding ceremony and were husband and wife for the year.

Karen has a quick, raspy voice and bossed me to no end—but I never minded, she was so funny and kind hearted.  One time Bob Stockdale (a classmate) said “If I was Doug I’d be filing for divorce” and everyone laughed, and when I said Karen’s words were music to my ears, our teacher Mrs. Kline told Karen “This is the man you want to marry!” 

By the way, if you’re wondering how I can recall something from 45 years ago, Karen wrote this was one of her favorite senior memories in my high school scrapbook.

Here’s Karen & myself in the center of our mock wedding ceremony, between the flags overhead.  Our friend Diana is 2 to the right of us, and that’s Mrs. Kline on the far leftBesides being good friends (and wedding partners), Karen & I were also selected by our senior class as “Most Likely to Succeed” for the Senior Personalities in our yearbook.  That’s us at the bottom on the first pageWe fell out of touch after graduating in 1979, but I got updates through the years.  She went on to college and become an elementary teacher, got married and had a son, moved to Virginia. 

We didn’t speak again for 30 years, until 2009 when Facebook came along.  Then we picked up where we left off like no time had passed at all.

In 2015 when I announced on Facebook I was sick of the rat race and taking an early retirement, Karen wrote me and said “Douglas you inspired me!  I’m sick of the race and retiring early too!” 

(For as long as I’ve known Karen, since the age of 12-13, she only called me Douglas.)  Anyway, true to her word she DID retire shortly after I did.

In 2017, when I wrote Karen and said I left Pittsburgh to move back to our hometown and was regretting my decision, she told me that every year she drove up to Pa to spend the holidays with her mom—but this year she was coming a couple days earlier to spend time with me.  We met up the first day for a 4 hour lunch, and the day after I went with Karen to visit her mom and see some old sights. 

She was just as funny, bossy and raspy in person as I remembered from all those years ago.  I am so glad we were able to get together again.

A recent photo of Karen (left) with our mutual friend and classmate Diana

I’m sharing all of this now, because last April Karen complained she was having trouble remembering things, and a couple months later pretty much went silent.  Diana reached out for answers, but only heard from Karen’s pastor that she was not well. 

And then a few days ago, Karen’s son posted this on Facebook:

Sorry to keep everyone uninformed for so long, but we did not have enough information on what was happening with my mother until recently.  She has been diagnosed with Coritcobasal Degeneration, a rare and aggressive form of dementia that resembles Parkinsons disease.  She has limited mobility using a walker at this time and is unable to care for herself in any way.  She is unable to comprehend what is happening and no longer uses her cell phone or social media accounts.  I have moved back in to help care for her until we can get some assistance with a long term plan.  We do appreciate all of the concern and support her friends have given in this time and I will try to update when I am able.

There is no treatment or cure, and life expectancy is short.  She is 62, same as me. 

I remember when we got together a few years ago, I asked Karen how she kept in such terrific shape.  She said “From doing the things I love, Douglas!  I swim at the Y nearly everyday and I have my friends & church family, they keep me very busy!”

Karen, you are and shall remain in my most heartfelt prayers.

37 comments:

  1. Oh Doug. It is such a shock when we begin to lose contemporaries. I'm sorry to read this. You know, at Easter, my sister and I were leading our groups of kids to the Easter egg hunt, and I heard a comment about 'the elders'. I said to my sister, "my gosh. They are talking about US!!!' and we are. It used to be that we had a generation between the end and us. We don't anymore. We is it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby, getting older isn't easy that's for sure. Well, your elders comment made me smile. 🙂

      Delete
  2. Doug, I am so sorry.❤️❤️ I am glad you have such wonderful memories of Karen. Take care.❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Robin. Your words are appreciated.

      Delete
  3. How very sad. I feel for her and all those who love her. What a tragedy. But thank you for sharing this story, Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, you're very kind. I wrestled with myself about sharing this.

      Delete
  4. What a touching and well written post. So much detail. And, a huge reminder of how short life is and how quickly time races by. The expression about the days being long but the years being short is so, so true. I'm pretty sure that we all have those friends from childhood that disappeared in life but we can pick up right away as if no time has passed. Thanks for sharing this special slice of your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don, you're such a kind and thoughtful person. Thanks very much, this was a nice read.

      Delete
  5. The mock wedding looks like so much fun. You and Karen made a great couple. Your entire class seemed to have fun with the wedding. Was this part of a sex ed class? We had sex ed but no weddings. Poor Karen. This should not be happening. How sad, especially when she seemed to live a healthy full life. Just goes to tell us, we never know what is in store. Maybe that is best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan-- we did have a sex Ed class in 10th grade that everyone was required to take, the marriage class was an elective our senior year. I had no intention of taking it, Karen talked me into it. Anyway, you5so right. This should not be happening. I still can't believe it. 😟

      Delete
  6. What wonderful memories you have of her--your affection shines through. Her legacy of friendship will always remain with you but it's SO unfair that she is essentially "gone" at 62. She should have had many more years to swim in the pool and hang out with her friends and family. Life is so damn unfair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Margaret, this was so perfectly said. Unfair is so right.

      Delete
  7. It's very sad to read this...your friend Karen sounds like a wonderful person and you have been fortunate to have her in your life. She was, and I think she knew this to her core, very fortunate to have YOU in her life. There are people who really make a big difference in the life we live. You two were that for each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dkzody, I wish I'd had the chance to be in her life in a bigger way, like my friend Diana was. I sure never saw this coming.

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry. I am sorry for your loss of a friend and sorry for Karen and her family that this has happened to her. I lost two friends this year. It has hit me hard. I miss them terribly and it makes me think about my own mortality too. I'm not sure we hear much about this stomach punch when we lose our classmates. Karen sounds like such a special person and her loss will be felt deeply.
    My neighbor/friend and former co-worker and I have designated ourselves funeral buddies and accompany each other to services for our mutual friends. I won't give you a count, but we are surviving on gallows humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Merry and my gosh I am so sorry for your own losses. Funeral buddies sounds both sad and smart, but the older we become, these things sound almost necessary. 😔

      Delete
  9. Your description of Karen is wonderful - what an amazing woman she is. It is not fair that she has such a cruel disease . My dear friend Jo died in 2022 from Multiple System Atrophy ( a disease that is often misdiagnosed as PD) and she was only 57 . I am glad you reconnected and it sounds as if the years in between just melted away . It’s another reminder that life is short and we should celebrate the people in our lives and tell them we love them .
    I shall be thinking of Karen . And if you
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, thanks for this gracious feedback Siobhan. I'm sorry for the loss of your own friend Jo, equally unfair but it’s nice how you still remember her. To be honest, the more I think about Karen, the more I can't believe it.

      Delete
    2. You are grieving Doug - grieving for the rest of the life your friend Karen should have enjoyed, and I think when we are faced with the death of someone we love I believe we revisit our other memories and experiences of grief , of people who have gone on before . You write so beautifully about your Grandmother and parents - I wonder if they too are much in your thoughts
      You have received some
      wonderful responses here - everyone is thinking of you and Karen and holding you in their hearts
      Siobhan

      Delete
  10. I am so sorry for Karen and for her family. What a lovely remembrance you put together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad that you and Karen had a nice 'catch up' in 2017 -- another fond memory of her better days. What a kind son to let her friends know her present condition. As we age, we get these reminders of how tenuous our lives really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Florence, and so true about her son. I used to think it was corny, what they say about appreciating and living each day to the fullest, but it’s so true. 😔

      Delete
  12. Hi Doug very glad you connected with Karen while things were still good. It’s easy not to think of your own mortality until you hear something like this. Sorry for your loss. Hope you are feeling better and we see you soon. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary you are a dear, thanks my friend. And you're so right about our own mortality, more and more I'm appreciating my own. I miss you guys and am anxious to nip this long covid in the bud once and for all.

      Delete
  13. 62 is so young. From experience, I know her family is in shock with her diagnosis and ensuing health problems. It is good you both got to reminisce and rekindle your friendship. I know it meant a lot to her as well as you. I'm sorry for your loss. Karen sounds like a wonderful person to know and have a friendship with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann, 62 is too young alright. I can't imagine what her loved ones are dealing with right now.

      Delete
  14. Doug, I am so sorry to hear this. Thank you for sharing with all of us. Dementia is such a cruel disease. My husband died from vascular dementia; nothing but heartache.

    Karen was fortunate to have you as a friend, and you her. I'm so glad you were able to reconnect seven years ago. I'm thinking of you, knowing how sad you must be to hear of her decline.

    Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carole, and my gosh I am so sorry you had to go thru this with your own husband. I cannot imagine.

      Delete
  15. Wow! The twists and turns life can take! Incredible story, Doug, and Karen will always be in your thoughts and prayers, I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, and you're right she always will.

      Delete
  16. Oh Doug, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend Karen. That you kept in touch and were able to have a good visit before this horrid disease took hold is a wonderful thing. Another reminder, that life isn't fair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maebeme, this was so nicely said. Much appreciated and I hope you are doing good.

      Delete
  17. I’m sorry to hear about your friend but I’m glad you got to reconnect

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dug, you wrote this on May 9th and I was out of town for granddaughter's graduation, so just read it today. You have such wonderful memories of your friend, Karen, that as awful as her situation is, knowing someone thought so much of her friendship is a gift you are giving her - even though she may not be aware of it now. It's hard to lose people who have been part of your life and sometimes even harder to know they are suffering. But it's true that you never really lose the ones you love. They live forever in your heart and memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, thanks very much for your kind words, they mean a lot. And congratulations on your granddaughters graduation, I'm sure you're very proud and I hope it was a nice road trip.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.