Friday, August 23, 2024

There’s a light at the end of this long covid tunnel

While the world around me has been abuzz with Ukraine, Kamala, Tim Walz and Donald what’s-his-name, I’ve spent most of 2024 feeling detached from everything.  (I didn’t even know about Joe Biden dropping out of the presidential race until my friend Diana told me—and she avoids the news and is the last to know anything!)

It feels like I’ve been hunkered down in a long, dark tunnel but I’m finally seeing some light at the end.  It’s been a week since the tremors in my right side ended, and the rotten tension headache I’ve had constant for 8 months quieted down greatly 4 days ago.   

I’ve still got a ways to go.  Every muscle in my body aches, making it painful to walk; I move slower than a 200 year old sea turtle on land.  My face still hurts with pin-pricks of pain (like I slept face down in a rose bush) and just going downstairs to get my mail or getting in & out of the shower zaps me of all my energy.  I need to lay down after doing both.  I’m already sleeping 11-12 hours a day as it is.

But I know things are headed in the right direction—I’m finally able to wear my eyeglasses again too.  For the longest time, just having them on my face caused too much pain.  I’m sorry I wasn’t able to keep up with others blogs or with online friends.  This is the first time I’ve been on my laptop for more than a couple minutes in weeks.

Back around mid-July, I developed strong burning sensations in both my hands and in my face and mouth.  I contacted UPMC (my insurance provider) and they said I probably needed to see a neurologist.  Then they informed me one wouldn’t be available until late October to mid-November.

A week later, I downloaded the e-book “Final Exit” from the Internet Archives, on the various methods people have used to end their lives.  It was a frightful read but I was getting close to throwing in the towel.

I contacted UPMC again and told them that.  They arranged for me to meet a neurologist in two days time via Tele-Health, who put me on a six month prescription of 25-50mg Nortriptyline and recommended I begin taking 1000mg of N-acetylcystine (NAC) for inflammation as well, Vitamin D3 tablets daily and to avoid any exposure to sunlight.

She told me it could take 2-4 weeks for the Nortriptyline to take effect, and said it doesn’t help everyone, but several days after taking it I DID notice that drop in my orofacial pain so who knows. 

My face looks like I was in a car wreck—my mouth droops on the left, my eyes are sunken in and I’ve got heavy lines running down both sides of my face.  There’s even an online forum for ‘Covid Long Haulers’ with one discussion titled “Will I get my old face back?”   People who have fully recovered say yes, but it could take a year or more. 

Are you familiar with that quote “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”?  I’m sorry, but I think that’s a load of horseshit.  The other night I was looking at my blog from this time last year, at all the outings and road trips and visits with family & friends.  How did I manage to do so much?  I can’t imagine being that active or social today. 

Believe it or not, there has been a silver lining here.  Since January, I’ve lost 44.6 pounds.  No diet or exercise, just 9 months of being a nervous wreck.  I hope I can manage to keep most of it off.

Well, that’s all I have for now.  I wanted to thank everyone again for thinking of me and all your kind words.  I was going to wait until I was fully recovered before writing again but missed my blog.  Thanks for reading and talk to you soon.

40 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you! Best wishes for continued improvement and relief. Could drinking more water help reduce the face lines? Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for checking in. I was just thinking of you this morning and wondering how you were doing. I was hoping for much better news than this. I am very concerned for you, but grateful you reached out after reading that book. The pain you are in has to be horrendous. I do hope, from here on out, things continue to improve. It makes me so angry when people minimize covid and downplay it. Yes, the majority "gets over it" and "its just like the flu". But I have personally known those who died and others like you suffering with the aftereffects long term. And it is a nightmare. I also hope your stamina begins to increase. I'm so sorry this happened to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so sorry you are going through this Hell, Doug! 44.6 pounds down!! Holy smoke!! Can't even imagine what you must have gone/are going through. Keep plodding towards that light, my friend. ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Doug, I've been thinking about you and wondering how you are holding up. I can't even imagine what pain, trauma you have been through. I'm so glad you pushed UPMC for prompt help.

    I'm hoping the online Covid Long Haulers group can offer you support and encouragement. Your journey has been a long and painful one. In addition to the medical support you need, the emotional support of others who understand is crucial to your recovery.

    Wishing you all the best for continued improvement. Carole

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, Dug, I'm so glad you had the strength to post this. I've been so worried. I know, we're only blog friends, but I hated thinking about you being so miserable...
    I kept praying that things would get better for you... believing that thoughts and prayers are powerful. Whatever is helping - the meds, time, the Neurologist - thank goodness. It's about time. I hope just knowing your friends (physical and blog) are here for you is some comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to see you again, Doug. I see your blog name popping on my blog stats, so I know you are still here. I have never been through what you've been through. Your description is horrifying. I hope that doesn't happen to me. But, I did have 2 bouts of Bell's Palsy, which was awful. I still have some facial paralysis that refuses to disappear. But, I have lived with it since 2004.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just made my day to see your post pop up in my news feed, Doug. And I am so hoping that this means you have turned the corner and will continue to improve. You have been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to see you here again. Covid can be a miserable disease. Took me four months to get back on my feet and I'm still slow. I had no idea what it could do long term. Sending you hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was so excited to see this post and am happy that you have found some medication that helps and support from the medical community. (about time!) I've been so very concerned about you, Doug. Stick around and keep getting better, OK? We love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank goodness you are finally seeing some real progress. I am not surprised that your alternative but thrilled that your health insurance took you seriously and got the appointment for you with the neruologist.
    Wishing you continued and sustained improvement. Your experience should be a reminder to all that Covid continues to be a dangerous virus. While many may recover with few issues, for the unfortunate few, it is debilitating.
    May you soon be able to resume your social activities.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doug,
    Very glad to hear from you again. It sounds awful what you've been through.
    Betting on your full recovery .

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a year I had a landlord who was a Covid Long Hauler. I've already watched what you are going through, and this post was awful to read. I am so sorry, but so relieved you threatened your provider into action. Stay on the path, long as it may be. There really is an end to the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the very nice comments, everyone. Your kindness here made my weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear you are feeling better Doug. You certainly have been put through the wringer.
    Take care.
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine how difficult this would be to endure. But keep holding on to that hope. You have many good years left to enjoy once this passes. And it will.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Robin, and David. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think of you often, but did not want to trouble you. I knew you had to be having a hard time. I am glad that you are seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO good to hear from you! May your exceedingly tough year soon be behind you! I think of you often and check frequently to see if you've posted. It's unconscionable that you couldn't get adequate medical help and attention sooner. I'm frightened that you were so far down you were thinking of checking out. Sending you positive, healing thoughts and hope your struggles are soon in the rearview mirror and you once again can resume a normal life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobi. This meant a lot.

      Delete
    2. So glad to hear from you, but so sorry for the pain and anxiety the long Covid is causing you. I think of you often and pray for healing. Grateful that these meds are helping. May it continue!

      Delete
  19. Hi Doug I like light at the end of the tunnel! I think about you often and was happy to see you on the street today😄😄 sorry but I couldn’t stop. Hang in there and get your butt back to us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, it was great seeing you, I think about you often too. I am very much looking forward to coming back soon, hopefully in a month or so. I miss our turkey Flatbread lunches. 😋 PS I ran into Dennis right after seeing you.

      Delete
  20. Doug, it is SO good to finally hear "your voice" again. I've been very concerned about you and have been checking your blog almost every day hoping to see some words from you. I cannot even imagine all that you've endured. It occurs to me as I read your post today that you are doing a very great service to many readers (like me) who literally have had no idea exactly what long covid actually IS. I knew it existed but your first hand sharing has done so much to help me (and others I'm sure) really understand and appreciate the horrors of this dreadful condition. Thank you for mustering the energy to write about it in such detail. You are courageous. I look forward to hearing from you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Don, this means a lot to me. I've wondered how you're doing. To be very honest, not good right now. I wrote this when my symptoms began to lessen, but they've since relapsed. I think I'm in something called Phase 2, that supposedly lasts 4-6 months. All I can do is take things day by day and appreciate the good ones until the relapses stop for good. Thanks again for your kind words.

      Delete
  21. Still wishing you better days….Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you dkzody. Unfortunately, I think the only answer here is time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m sorry you are going through all this. I’m glad you are feeling better. I know what you mean what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger..I get tired of being mildly depressed myself and I’m glad I didn’t see that final exit book in 95..some rough painful times for me then

    ReplyDelete
  24. I’m sorry to be late to the party, Doug. I’ve thought of you since your previous posting and hoped you were improving. Gradually, it seems.

    Losing weight is a good thing, but perhaps there are better ways of doing that (hint: breaking your neck isn’t one of them). I hope you won’t be like me and put it back on again when it’s all over.

    I trust that your optimism at the end of the column is justified, and I check in a little more regularly from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm afraid things have taken a downturn since this last post. All I can do at this point is take things one day at a time, hope that I turn a real Corner soon. Probably the worst thing I've ever gone through in my darn life. Hope you're doing well.

      Delete
  25. So happy to see a post from you but very sorry to hear the struggle continues. Three cheers for calling UPMC back and giving a very honest and descriptive state of affairs. I have MS, and so many of those terms -- neurologist, relapse, vitamin D3, inflammation, fatigue, etc. -- sound familiar. May you continue to rest and recover. You have been missed and I can tell you are loved by many. I've missed your writing; you're such a good writer in both good times and lousy. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim I am very sorry about your own MS, I've been dealing with this since last December but can't imagine a lifetime. Your kind words here mean a lot and are much appreciated.

      Delete
  26. So glad you are feeling better. I hear covid can affect nervous system. I know I’m 95 I was having a hard time I’m glad I didn’t know of your book then. Just had another nightmare last night about the whole situation. But it was just a dream. Beth

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so sorry to read that you are having some big downs to go with your improvements! It seems so cruel when you think something has gone away and then it comes back. Hopefully the coming of cooler weather will help, and it does sound like your neurological consultation was useful (although why it didn't happen sooner is baffling, so many of your symptoms sound neurological!).

    As you can see many are thinking kindly of you!

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
  28. So glad to hear something from you again. Praying for your full recovery. You can get groceries and prescriptions delivered now. FYI It sounds like you are walking through the fire. Illness is the worst. That old saying "Your health is your wealth" is so very true. Take it one day at a time. Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  29. It's good to finally hear from you. It's been a long and rough road but glad to hear things are getting a little bit better. (And that was two weeks ago; hope your improvement is continuing.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.