Saturday, November 10, 2012

Why fight the future when it has cool gadgets like this-- I’m in love with my new Nook HD+

 

I honestly wasn’t planning to share this recent acquisition of mine on here, who needs to read about someone’s latest  gizmo?  Everybody has something, be it my 8 year old niece’s new ipod Touch or the college kids on my bus staring zombie-like at their iPhones or the various women on there reading Fifty Shades of Gray on their Kindles. 

(For the record, when I’m on the bus I prefer to stare dumbly out the window & make believe this is my final trip downtown, because it’s 2025 and I’m finally retiring from spreadsheets & office drama, and somehow, I don’t look or feel any older than I do right now.)  But that’s another story.

Anyway—a couple months ago I thought I’d surprise myself with one of those newfangled computer tablets for my birthday.  (I already own a 7” ereader, but I wanted something bigger like the Apple iPad—without shelling out 700.00, let alone buying into the Apple ecosystem.)  I did a lot of reading up on what was out there, and right when I was down to two models (the soon to be released Google Nexus 10, and the 9” Amazon Fire HD), Barnes & Noble announced THEIR entry into things, the Nook HD+.  It took me about 5 minutes to decide this was what I wanted.

I don’t read comic books like I used to, but wow electronic comics are awesome on this device; after 25 years I’m going back to reading monthly issues of Batman!

I’m not going to go into all the boring specs for this device (there’s a hundred different reviews out there that already do, and they all love this thing too).  But let me say this:

The Nook HD+ is both thinner & lighter than the Fire, and has the same screen size and clarity (it’s amazing) of an iPad.  And it’s around half the price.  No it doesn’t have 250,000 apps to choose from like in the Apple iStore, but B&N has all the popular ones, and they even added a “Nook TV & Movie Store” too for streaming hi-def movies.  It also syncs with your Hotmail or Gmail (or Yahoo or even your workmail if you’re a glutton for punishment).  Awesome web browser & music player too.

     books  apps  webs 

    Screens displaying my books, apps & favorite websites (click on any to enlarge)

Besides apps, music, movies, web browsing (and e-books of course), the Nook HD shines with magazines & catalogs.  (If you subscribe to Entertainment Weekly like I do, it’s delivered to your tablet too, free of charge.)  

llbean2LL Bean catalog will now come to my Nook HD instead of my mailbox, it looks just like the printed version & you can even flip or curl the pages

And finally, if all of this isn’t enough the machine can even detect ghosts too.  I recently bought the “Ghost Radar” app (pricier than most, it was $1.99)  which turns your Nook into an EMF detector like the ones on those paranormal investigation shows.  It has a nifty radar screen, and even translates the pulses to words (because ghosts like to talk too, duh).  So the other night I activated it, set it on my counter and went about my business.

A couple hours later I noticed a couple ‘orbs’ on the radar (two yellow, one red) and I cautiously approached it & said “Hello?  Is someone here with me?” and it said “Here”.  I said “Who’s here?”  I waited a minute then said “Do you want to talk to me?”   It said “Richard.  Where.”   I jumped about two feet—my next door neighbor Rich (who lived beside me 12 years) just moved out of here a month ago.  C’mon, that’s too much to be a coincidence!  (I have proof it said this too, the app keeps a time-log of all words spoken.)

I started to say “I’m sorry but he doesn’t live here anymore, he bought a house over in Ben Avon” andt then it hit me—I’d probably be talking to some imaginary person (like crazy people tend to do) and if there really WAS a ghost here, it didn’t want to talk to me anyway!  

10 comments:

  1. "when I’m on the bus I prefer to stare dumbly out the window & make believe this is my final trip downtown, because it’s 2025 and I’m finally retiring from spreadsheets & office drama, and somehow, I don’t look or feel any older than I do right now"

    Doug, I'm not sure if this funny or sad...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew it's probably both--but I'm no different than 3 out of 4 Americans, who elect to retire & begin collecting social security as early as possible :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never wanted one of these stupid ebook reader things before, but I think I'm sold now that I know I can be a Ghostbuster with it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, thanks Pam! FYI, I never thought I'd want an e-reader either, but gosh I love it. My vision isn't what it used to be & I can read SO MUCH EASIER with this device--change the typeface with a tap, read anywhere I want without a lamp.

    But yes, the ghostbuster app is way cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also got a tablet for my b-day too. I never thought I'd take to it but damn, I'm addicted. I love flipping the pages on my e-reader too! Everything about it is convenient. I don't have the Ghostbuster app though. Now that's cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Chelly! I still have mixed feelings about ereaders--they want you to pay almost as much for a digital copy of the book as a real one, but you can't loan it out to anyone--but yes they're a lot of fun. Glad you're enjoying yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my iPad, although otherwise I have not bought into Apple ecosystem. I also like reading e.g. comics on it.

    Retiring when you can and thinking about it many years beforehand are not the same thing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I have been known as Professor in many places, so...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha--Iikka, you're a good guy :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.