Friday, February 14, 2014

Ralph Waite: It was his time to go, but perhaps this isn’t the end


Last night, as I was doing the customary things I always do before going to bed, I came here to turn off my computer and saw this headline on my screen:  “Ralph Waite dead at 85.”

It took me by surprise (as most deaths do with most people), but later as I lay in the darkness, feeling a real sense of loss for someone I didn’t even know outside of his role as John Walton on “The Waltons”, I tried to put it into logical perspective and just couldn’t.  Someone I felt both love and respect for, and have known for many years is gone.

For some reason, this news reminded me of one of my favorite episodes of “The Waltons”.  In it’s seventh season, it seemed the end was near; Richard Thomas (who played John Boy) had left a couple years prior for greener pastures.  Shortly after, Ellen Corby (who played Grandma Walton) suffered a stroke and was also gone (but did return a year or so later in a handful of episodes, in a non speaking role).  Will Geer (who played Grandpa) died in the spring of ‘78, and Michael Learned (who played Olivia, the mother) left the show to star in her own series “Nurse”.   Ralph Waite was the only adult left.

The producers of the show saw the writing on the wall, and assumed CBS had no choice but to end the series.  They wrote a final episode called “Founders Day”, which aired in March 1979 and concluded with Earl Hamner, the creator & narrator of the show, delivering the loveliest goodbye I’ve ever seen.  (I included it below.)

But that was not the end; in a move that surprised everyone, CBS asked them to continue producing more episodes.  I’d like to think such possibilities happen elsewhere as well.

Rest in peace, John Walton

6 comments:

  1. The thing I always say to other people about you is that you're such a decent and good person. For me, I know that kindness in general is so important thing to you, that you miss it in people a lot of time, and that your heart truly goes out to anyone who is vulnerable in whatever way. That Walton clip could be corny but it was really touching and I liked that it mattered to YOU so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much for the kind words Shawn, your words and feelings will always mean the most to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Waltons was one of the best shows that aired on television and still is even though the shows are old reruns...I loved all the characters..especially Grandma..RIP to the ones that have left us

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the Waltons, as a teenager. Our television reception was very poor in the woods, and after the big switch to digital, it was pretty much non-existent. When we moved to town, I got caught up watching re-runs of the Waltons, and I was disappointed at how silly it seemed.

    I am a bit older than you, but I have to say I still love the Waltons, the memory of a family where everyone loved each other and the bickering never turned violent, and at the end of the day, people call out "Goodnight!!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very sweet, thanks for sharing Debby...

      Delete
  5. Oh fer pete's sake. When I saw this, I though, "Jees...I thought 'Daddy' died some time ago..." but I forget stuff... After my reply, I see the date of the post. Well. At least my memory is not completely shot.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.