Friday, February 12, 2021

If you’ve got a thing for feet, then maybe you should come live here with me

My apartment building is quite large, compared to places I’ve lived in before.  102 units, in various sizes & configurations.  Studios, 1 & 2 bedrooms.  This is a view of #502, the apartment directly above me.  It bears the distinction of being an exact copy of mine. 

I know because I snuck in & snooped around when it was vacant a couple months ago.  (They always leave vacant units unlocked, as no one can get into our building without a key.)

It’s the same size, same layout, same paint scheme (Antique White, Basic Buff & Summer Suede), same kitchen, flooring (carpeting in livingroom & bedroom, wood parquet floor in dining room, rust tile in kitchen & bathroom) as mine.  All it’s missing is my stuff.  Okay it’s carpet is newer, which ticks me off some, but it’s also $40.00 a month higher in rent, for the simple fact it’s on one of the top 2 floors.

As I sit here this morning typing this, wearing a t-shirt and thin pair of drawstring pants, it’s a balmy 70F in my place and 18F outside.  I can’t remember the last time I heard my furnace either.  I’ve only lived in 2 other apartments in my 35 years in Pittsburgh, but in both of those places I couldn’t escape a chill in the air or some VERY cold floors if the temps outside dipped below 25F.  But in both of those other places, I lived on the top floor which you would think would be warmest, but wasn’t.  Here, my apartment is nestled somewhere near the middle.  Snug as a Doug in a rug, you might say.  And my bare feet are toasty warm.

And speaking of bare feet… podophilia is the medical term for someone with a foot fetish.  You hear about those types in movies or on tv, but I’ve never met anyone who admitted to being one.  Then again, if you’ve got a foot fetish I guess you don’t go around bragging about it. 

I wouldn’t, it seems a bit out there even if it is pretty harmless. 

(I’m reminded of a very old episode of “Love, American Style”, a man with a fetish for women’s hands meets a woman who won’t be seen without her gloves on.  It seems she has a phobia of exposing her bare hands.  They fall in love & marry, and on their honeymoon she comes to bed wearing sexy lingerie… gloves!)

I suppose the reason I’m bringing all this up is because I am giving serious thought to going upstairs, banging on #502’s door and demanding to see his carpeting.  Like I said earlier, I was up there when it was vacant, and noted the newer carpeting and even took a picture of it.  It’s plusher than mine.  But when I’m walking around my apartment, I only hear the occasional scrunching or wooden squeak if I’m going back & forth in the non-carpeted areas, my bathroom or kitchen or dining room. 

In that unit above mine, it can be days without a sound—maybe the man is an airline pilot, gone for days at a time.  And then suddenly, like this morning, I’ll hear him.  Right above my sofa, where I thought was carpeting.  It’s not a shuffle of slippers, or clomping of shoes.  I swear I can hear the bones in his feet crack, then the thud of one heel hitting the floor, now the other; next are the thumps of his feet like he’s rocking them back & forth before standing up and beginning his journey.  He’ll cover every square foot of that apartment this morning too.  Lots of snaps crackles & pops.

I can’t help but wonder WHY I’m hearing what I’m hearing, and if all these footsteps would excite a foot fetishist.  What’s he doing up there, giving tours?  I’m guessing he wears a size 10… no, 10 1/2.

Waitaminute—it stopped.  For all I know, there’s a peephole in my ceiling and he’s on his hands & knees now, squinting thru his floor and reading this as I type.  Why can’t people be more normal, like me!

 

28 comments:

  1. Haha. I think you should get a life ... or insert ear plugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many many years ago, I had an apartment in the middle up in the world of the frozen tundra. I found that all I really needed to do was kick the heat on for about an hour in the morning as I got ready for work was all I needed. The supplemental heat from all the apartments surrounding me kept it warm enough the rest of the day. Sometimes I wondered if they mused on why the wall between our apartments was always colder than the rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Ed, at least you saved on your heating bill; my heat is included in my rent, so I pretty much live it up in the winter :^)

      Delete
  3. I think some people are more sensitive to sound. Our grandson says that he can tell when either DH or I are up during the night... our footsteps are different. And our living area is downstairs whereas he is upstairs. (of course he also has young ears!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, I guess I was just in a goofy mood this morning, normally I don't pay attention to the guy above. He just seemed so.. busy this morning!

      Delete
  4. You're OK. Think we have all just been locked in too long. Check your ceiling for small holes though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!! Patti, thanks for the chuckle! Omigosh there he is again, squeaking right over my head as I type this. I'm beginning to believe that peephole remark for real :^(

      Delete
  5. That is really weird that you can hear it so well. Have you considered asking the people below you if they can hear you walking? Do you think he pulled up the carpeting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay you're not going to believe this, but I DID ask Janice (the older woman below me) once if I made a lot of noise up here. Not because of the guy above me, but when I moved in 4 years ago, my niece was doing somersaults and Janice complained to the landlord. She told me she hasn't heard a peep since. So... I am the model tenant, and the guy above me is the Creeper :(

      Delete
  6. My daughter has nearly always been in a lower or middle apartment so noises above her. (and sometimes below her) In L.A. it was like a herd of elephants above, which I couldn't figure out. Were the people heavy or just heavy steppers? In N.Y. they've been subjected to loud TV from above and the sounds of a fellow professor having an affair from below. That was embarrassing for them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness... well, I don't think I'd mind the affair! :^) Well Margaret, I have no reason to complain, I guess I don't hear that much after all. Thanks for helping me to put it in perspective.

      Delete
  7. Gosh Doug, takes me back to my years of living in a high rise apartment. Didn't hear my neighbours above or below but I could practically join in conversations with side folk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Florence you really did have a different life at one time, you're going to have to give me a mini-bio sometime.

      Delete
  8. Are you sure it's a man upstairs? It could be a Yeti, a Bigfoot ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Twice I've lived in an apartment or condo with a unit above me. I've vowed: never again. Maybe you should give him/her a welcome-new-neighbor present of soft-soled slippers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, gosh, don't keep us all in suspense! Make a recording and go up and ask him what he's doing. Your description is amazing. Maybe he's watching a grandchild who is rolling one of those old toddler toys of "popcorn balls" within a dome on wheels.
    Linda in Kansas (DrumMajor from Kay Musings blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda--haha, that's an apt description of up there! Well, whatever it is, it's not constant at least. I'm not sure how I'd record it though. If I ever know more, I'll post an update here. :^)

      Delete
  11. No carpets here and my upstairs neighbour likes to keep her boots on until she goes to bed. I'm not going to say anything because once she starts talking it's very hard to get away, she just goes on and on and on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha--boots?? Well, I know the going on & on thing... I'm guilty of that myself when my next door neighbor's sister comes to visit. Why can't I leave that poor girl alone... :^)

      Delete
  12. We live in a 26-unit apartment building and have moved once, both apartments on the top floor. We had a guy underneath us who would sometimes cook up some meals that we'd smell, but otherwise no problem. When he moved out, a family moved in who liked to do Irish dancing. They managed to shake the floor so much that pictures fell off the walls! We moved to another apartment, without the dancers. But communal living means everybody needs to be able to find ways to get along. Your situation is a bit odd, I think. Good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish dancing?? Hahaha! DJan, I'm glad you're not dealing with that anymore--well, I'm not really having a problem. This is a nice apt building, but considerably older than my last place. You can't fight age. :)

      Delete
  13. You're hilarious! And Normal is very overrated I think. As for Apartment living and hearing the Neighbors, sometimes ya don't really wanna know what they're doing in such close proximity to ya!? *winks* When we lived in Subdivision Hell in the McManse and every Home was a Luxury Home, I was shocked at how easily you could hear thru the Walls of those ridiculously large expensive Homes! I swear, as I sat in the Library, which was closest to our Neighbor who had an even bigger ridiculous sized Home, if he was on his Cellphone I could hear the conversation sometimes AND whoever was on the other end! I really didn't feel comfortable overhearing Private conversations, but you couldn't help it. I'm glad to be back in an older Home with thick Brick Adobe Walls and on Acreage, noise is buffered even tho' there's a major Road in the front and it's in the City. Our Oldest lives in Pittsburgh, Belle Vernon... and she doesn't like us to swap Weather Stories since right now the Weather outside in Sunny Arizona is as toasty Warm as your Apartment! And no shoveling of Sunshine needed. *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, Bohemian thanks for the chuckles! Very interesting about your McManse and I am not just surprised... anyway, I very much enjoyed reading this, I can't imagine Arizona right now but I want to, haha. And I'm a little shocked, you do know I live about 25 seconds from your oldest, Belle Vernon is a hop & skip up the street. My gosh :)

      Delete
  14. My first efficiency apt. was in half of a one story double. My sofa made into a bed up against the dividing wall of tge other unit. The landlady had cautioned me a bachelor occupied the other unit, that she usually only rented my unit to another man. She wanted me to know the other renter regularly had his girlfriend visit which i said didn't matter to me. I soon began to see what she was driving at because I think his bed must have been up against that dividing wall, too. Knocking noises against the wall were among the sounds that clued me in as to the girlfriend’s generally weekly visits.

    As for podophilia, there was an episode one summer in one of our college’s local libraries when someone was painting polish on people’s toenails without their knowledge or consent they reported to our police. This was just one of sometimes numerous strange cases our local newspaper reported in their Police Blotter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.