Friday, February 19, 2021

It would seem that door-to-door salesmen (salespersons) are alive & well

This past Tuesday, I got this email from my apartment building’s management:    

Dear Steiner Realty Neighbors, 

Please be aware that you will receive a knock on your door sometime tomorrow, Wednesday, February 17th, by a Verizon representative.  Your building has been chosen by Verizon for an exclusive $50 promotion for all residents, on top of any current national offers!  

We understand you may be reluctant to answer your door at this time.  The Verizon marketing sales reps will have badges and will be following social distancing guidelines and wearing masks. 

Sincerely, Steiner Realty Inc.       

To say I was fit to be tied would be an understatement.  Excuse me??  Some weeks ago, we got various pleas from management to PLEASE quarantine, DON’T ALLOW anyone inside the building except the mailman & emergency personnel.  So I couldn’t have family or friends visiting, but Verizon salesmen had free rein?  I smelled a kickback.  I called my landlord and said I didn’t want anyone knocking on my door and trying to sell me stuff. 

Stacey said “Aw, we’re sorry to hear that Douglas!  Well, you should hang a ‘Do not disturb’ sign on your front door for tomorrow!”   I said “You mean, like a hotel?”  She said “Right, exactly!”  

I’ll be goddam—skip it, I’ll hang a note on my door.

Wednesday, I had no visitors or door-to-door salespersons at my front door.  At 11:30pm I went downstairs to mail something, and took the DO NOT DISTURB sign off my front door before I went to bed.

Thursday afternoon, I’m sitting here watching MSNBC and trying to decide if I want spaghetti or tuna salad for my early dinner (I like to eat by 4pm) when I get a knock.  What is wrong with me?  No alarm bells went off in my head as I got up to answer it.

There were 2 young people standing there, mid-twenties, a black male and Latino female.  They were wearing black pullovers with FIOS logos on their sleeve and Verizon on their front pockets.  They looked like they just stepped out of a tv commercial.

  • HER: Hi good afternoon!!  (Looking at her clipboard)  I’m sorry, your name is…?
  • ME:  Uh… Douglas?  Doug.  Listen, I thought you guys--
  • HIM:  Hi Douglas, I’m Charlie, this is Dexie.  How are you today? 
  • HER:  Douglas I’m going to ask you how to spell your last name in a minute.  So you have the traditional set-up right?  Landline phone, internet, cable?
  • HIM:  What do you watch on tv, I mean, how many channels do you think you watch?
  • ME:  I pretty much just watch MSNBC and some local news & Netflix.  Guys, I--
  • HIM:  My man!  Netflix, yep me too.  What shows do you like on there?
  • ME:   Uh… “Rake”, a legal drama.
  • HER:  Aw is that the one with the little cartoon animals at the bottom of the screen?  I’ve seen clips of it, is it any good?
  • ME:  There’s no cartoon animals, it’s an Australian barrister who--
  • HIM:  Ah, so she owns a coffee shop or just works in one? 
  • ME:  I said “Barrister”, not barista.  It’s a courtroom show.   Hey guys--
  • HER:  Douglas could I ask you 2 things?  How much do you pay Comcast for the services they provide?   And is that a tablet you’re holding?  Can I check out your internet download speed?  I promise I won’t download or install anything.

I foolishly hand her my tablet and say I pay around $200 a month for my internet, phone & cable.  Charlie and Dexie’s eyes widen in feigned surprise. 

  • HER:  Douglas I have it all figured up.  We’re going to save you around $100 a month.  Charlie can you check my figures and confirm I’m right?
  • HIM:  Let’s see, yep—$105.00 a month for Verizon phone service and internet.
  • ME:  What about TV?
  • HIM:  You already said you only watch Netflix.  You don’t need channels.
  • ME:  I said I watch MSNBC.
  • HIM:  Dude—Douglas—that’s NEWS.  You can get that on the internet anytime you want!
  • HER:  Doug, here’s your tablet back.  You just need to open this email, enter your credit card number and hit the confirm button.

I look down at my tablet screen and see this image with Click below to confirm.

I said “Alright, enough.”   Dexie said “Is there a problem?  We’re happy to answer any questions you have Douglas.  That’s why we’re here today.” 

Charlie said “Great news!  I just confirmed your apartment is wired for FIOS.  The technician will be here tomorrow and have you set up in… 15 minutes.”

I said “I don’t appreciate the hard sell, guys.  I never invited you here, I never said I wanted to change my phone & internet service.  I don’t want to give up my TV either.”

Charlie said “We can add TV to your package if you like, but then you’ll need a set-top box.  And a dvr too, there go your savings and then some.

Dexie said “Douglas you must have a GREAT job if you don’t want to save a hundred bucks a month!  Wow!”

I said I didn’t have a great job, I was retired.  And I wasn’t looking to save any money on my tv/internet/phone let alone spend more.  They finally left in a phony confused huff.

(The truth is, I HAVE been looking!  I’ve been looking at streaming services like Philo and Sling Blue for a couple weeks now.)  

But one thing’s for certain, I’ll never go to Verizon.  This little stunt was TOO SHADY for me.   And Steiner Realty, I’m not impressed with YOU either.  The End!

26 comments:

  1. That was horrible. I would have said, hang on a sec, I need to grab my gun and then proceeded around the nearest corner inside my apartment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--Ed my trademark stance is to look like a deer caught in someone's headlights :) They sure tried to bambooxle me though!

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I laughed out loud at the Rake exchange. I don’t think most Americans know what a barrister is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be sorry mate--I think you're right and I also think I'm becomin' Australian; I'm callin' yellow mustard American mustard now :^)

      Delete
  3. That is such fake bonhomie that it makes me angry even reading about it. I know they have a job to do (and I wouldn't want it!) but they could at least be more honest and genuine. Good for you for not losing it! I would have gone full scale Italian on them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret--oh yeah I wasn't exaggerating. It was an "in your face" hard sell, to be honest I don't know how it went as far as it did.

      Delete
  4. Well first of all, you did really well handling that, Dug. I would have never answered the door in the first place. I either check our Nest doorbell on the iPhone to see who it is or look through the blinds on the nearby window. We also have a 2 notes hanging on the door (since Covid) saying "Masks required" and "Leave a message if we don't answer the door". To be honest, most see the camera and the nest and don't even ring the bell...
    But as for streaming, we do have Hulu, Netflex, Acorn, and Britbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Rian,you're a streaming guru! I'm also impressed with your front door set-up. Well, I live in a high-rise apartment where people can't walk in off the street and knock on your door. I just assumed it was one of the other residents. Still, I shouldn't have just stood there. Anyway, I've been thinking about you... so much news about the power & water in Texas... I hope you're doing okay.

      Delete
  5. Yikes, that was awful. They were really trying to steamroll you. Glad you gave them the boot. I really think a visit to Stacey is called for along with a copy of this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks Patti. Well, I just saw it as 'something to blog about', it didn't upset me or anything. I was just surprised how fast these two moved, they sure tried to play me!

      Delete
  6. Boy, they really tried to sell you on their deal. Glad you gave them the boot. I don't like anything to do with Verizon, a few years back, places like post Offices had Verizon card reader machines for people to pay their bills etc and it turned out that Verizon (I think this is true) was selling on the card information. Or something like that. anyway, maybe next time leave the Do Not Disturb sign on your door. People like that WILL come back on day two if they can't get you on day one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River, well I don't know a lot about Verizon but their selling practice was pretty shady... if I had requested them to come that would've been different. They just went door to door on unsuspecting people.

      Delete
  7. Just reading of the high pressure sales pitch I could feel my hackles rising. And I think they crossed the line when they entered the sign up process on your tablet. But it did provide material for a very entertaining post. And I must follow your tip and give Rake a watch. (I spent five years in Australia so will have no worries with the lingo.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence and yes--hackles rising is such a good description for what I was feeling Thursday. They weren't even trying to sell me, just acted like it was a "done deal" and needed to finish up the paperwork. Anyway--you lived in Australia for 5 years? Wow! Maybe you could share some of that experience on your blog one day... yes, you should enjoy "Rake" then--I'll be curious to know what you think.

      Delete
  8. You are a good writer, Doug. I enjoyed your little exchange with those hard sell bozos. You did good, and I like the idea of saying you need to get your gun (one of your commenters). What a crock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DJan, well I was just surprised how those 2 Verizon people had almost whisked me from one provider to another. I stood there thinking "what's happening?" I wasn't angry, I almost admired their tactics!

      Delete
  9. You were too patient. I would have said, "No thanks." And shut the door without saying another word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi you're right, but at the time it felt like they were there on an appointment and I didn't know about it...

      Delete
  10. Oh good grief! That's irritating as heck! I had a vacuum cleaner salesperson steamroll over me a few years back. Never again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I'm sorry that vacuum salesperson steamrolled over you but that gave me a chuckle (I'm sorry)! And yes I was surprised how Verizon played hardball like that--it just seemed shady for such a big company. It didnt really bother me though, just surprised me!

      Delete
  11. They gotta a lot of nerve! But at least you were civil ... I don't think I would have opened the door. That being said, we have FIOS ... and it's pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, I was hoping with someone with FIOS would comment! I honestly didn't mind, I kind of admired their aggressiveness. They almost had me convinced it was some type of appointment and I was to blame!

      Delete
  12. Nothing guarantees I'll not do business with someone more than hard sells. I no longer even feel obliged to be polite and quickly, evenly rudely sometimes, cut them off. Most hard sells are rude in my experience. We had Verizon phone service for many years which was touted to be going to upgrade to FIOS in our city several years ago. Then, guess they bit off more than they could chew, didn't give us FIOS as expected, and ended up selling portions of their business, including phone system here and around the country to Frontier who now seems to be in financial straits themselves. I had always been pleased with Verizon service until a couple years before they sold the company but they were allowing service to deteriorate before selling I think, or that was a later accusation. Service improved with Frontier. but don't know what will happen now. We still don't have FIOS. Sounds like your situation is different in your living arrangement than I have in a single residence. Can see how you might think there was some arrangement or commitment for which you might initially feel a need to cooperate -- up to a point. They sound like they were over the top and may reflect a sales approach taken especially with older people that has proven successful with the accommodating of many aged -- bullying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joared, I'm sorry to read about your own (deteriorating) situation with Vericon (Fios), but you sure summed up my own situation pretty perfectly. That's exactly what happened, I thought I had no choice but to cooperate. Once I realized they were just doing a hard sale... they sure took me by surprise! To be honest, I still like the idea of a phone & internet package thru them! I just have to think on it :)

      Delete
  13. I never answer the door to anyone, that way I avoid situations like this! I hope you wiped down your tablet once they gave it back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe I normally don't answer either! I only did because no one from the outside can get in (normally) plus I was having a brain fog or something, I'm getting up there :) Anyway--YES I DID wipe that tablet (I do it a couple times a day anyway). But I learned my lesson!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.