Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Today's Sermon: The Sadness of January 6, and Trumpers

Several years ago, I came across this minister’s online sermon and was intrigued.  He didn’t preach the Bible as he did lessons on kindness & common sense.  I’d return to his website from time to time, always impressed.  On occasion I’d send his essays to my sister or a couple of friends.  Soon I became one of his followers.

When Donald Trump began his run for the Presidency, this minister began preaching dire warnings of the man, of the horror & lunacy that would ensue.  After Trump won, he devoted ALL of his sermons to the so-called President and the carnage he was inflicting on us daily.  As many in John’s traditional congregation fell by the wayside, he stood by his words, disgusted by the hypocrisy of these so-called people of faith. 

You can be a Christian or a Trumper, not both. 

With today’s hearings on the January 6 Capitol riots, I was reminded of a recent sermon from John.  I must’ve read it 4-5 times, I appreciated it that much.  I wanted to share it here today.

The sadness of sharing a country with Trump supporters by John Pavlovitz

A similar thing happens to me on many mornings lately.

My eyes open and I suddenly become aware that I’m awake. My mind quickly begins assembling the first few seconds of my day (making plans, organizing my checklist, contemplating dinner already), when a terrible interruption breaks in and reminds me:

People actually still support that unhinged madman. They admire him. They look up to him. They feel affinity with him. They are fighting for him.

The realizations turn my stomach and I consider going back to sleep but know that I can’t. I replay conversations in my head with people from the day before and I scan my timeline and I think about the family members I know longer speak to and I struggle once more to make any sense of it all.

I see people regurgitating fictional Fox News talking points and hear them parroting back conspiratorial nonsense and I watch them pass by with his name affixed to their heads and attached to their bumpers in cultic adoration—and it grieves me to know how far gone so many around me seem to be. I no longer recognize the place I’ve always called home.

And I know that I’m not alone. I know that right now, variations of these thoughts are being played out millions of times inside the heads of people all over this country; empathetic human beings like me who have found the reservoirs of hope dangerously low and who can’t seem to shake the profound sense of dread hovering always in the periphery of their daily life.

It’s simply demoralizing sharing a country with people who think Donald Trump is someone worth emulating: to be surrounded by that kind of moral inversion every single day, to be continually encountering such cruelty. It’s a source of profound and sustained grieving to believe that everyone deserves to be treated with dignity and afforded opportunity—and to know how many simply do not share that belief. I don’t hate these people but I am deeply saddened by them.

It isn’t just the reality of the despicable human being who we’ve allowed to ascend to the Presidency that beings that sadness, though that would be reason enough for despair. It’s the ugliness we’ve seen in our neighbors as he’s made his way there, and perhaps even worse now following his departure: the doubling down despite all we know about his reckless and incompetence. It’s the sickness that the America we love has shown itself afflicted with: the weight of every horrible reality about our nation; all our bigotry and discord and hatred set upon our chests, hampering our breath.

But it’s much closer than that, too.

It’s the words we’ve heard from family members, the stuff we learned about our neighbors, the social media posts from church friends, the incendiary sermons from our pastors, the arguments we’ve had with co-workers. Every square inch of life seems polluted now. Nothing about this place feels untouched by the ugliness.

And the question becomes: How do we transform this near paralyzing sense of sadness into something redemptive?

As with all grief, eventually there must be movement. When there is profound loss of any kind, the only real path is forward; to craft something beautiful and meaningful and life-affirming in response to what has been taken away. You learn to walk again, even if it is with a limp. You begin the painful, laborious act of living in direct opposition to your grief.

It is the same in these days for those of us who feel cheated out of a kinder, more diverse, more decent America than the one we now have. Individually and collectively we will have to be the daily, bold, defiant pushback against all that feels wrong here.

This pushback will come in the small things; in the art we create and the conversations we have and the quiet gestures of compassion that are barely visible.

It will come in the way we fully celebrate daily life; having dinner with friends, driving through the countryside, playing in the yard with our children, laughing at a movie we love.

It will come as we loudly and unapologetically speak truth where truth is not welcome.

It will come as we connect with one another on social media and in faith communities and in our neighborhoods, and as we work together to demand accountability from our elected officials and our neighbors.

It will come as we use the shared resources of our experience and our talents and our numbers to ensure that our children inherit a world worth being here for.

It will come as we transform our grief into goodness.

Yes friend, there is a great deal to grieve over in these days and there will be more to ahead—but there is even more worth fighting for.

So yes grieve, but then move.

Be fueled by your sadness, strengthened by your anger, fortified by your discontent, and do something in this day that moves the needle toward beauty and justice.

And find a way to keep moving forward, even if it is with a limp.

36 comments:

  1. The man truly does speak the truth. Thanks for printing this Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patti! I had a sillier blog up this morning, but after listening to these Capitol police today sharing what happened on Jan 6...

      Delete
  2. I agree with him and also read him, although his words break my heart. I try to mostly ignore what I've discovered about my country, and some of my friends and family members, but it's heartbreaking. It's changed me forever and my attitude toward them. Can't put that genie back in the bottle. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that Margaret, I always appreciate your honesty. And it's nice to know somebody else that follows him too.🙂

      Delete
  3. I guess to me, this whole exercise is nothing but picking at a scab instead of letting it heal. Unless the proverbial smoking gun is found and I think it would have been found long ago had it existed, nothing is going to come out of all of this. Already it is being politicized to the point where anything that comes from it will not be believed by 50% of the people so what becomes the point if nothing is done to actually prevent this from happening again?

    The Republicans seem dead set on trying to spin the narrative of history to create a doubt in an election and try to capture this new found electorate that Trump appealed to and use them for future elections. I'm not sure what the Democrats have for an end game. It seems they just want to spike the ball and do a end zone dance on the disgrace of a former president.

    To me, all this just makes both parties seem tone deaf to what the country really needs. Someone who can be a leader and bring both sides together. I'll give President Biden some Props because he has said some things to try and heal our nation but I don't think anything said by a seasoned politician will be received by the opposing side. I'm still hoping that eventually we will get some more new blood into the office who really want to mend a nation instead of ripping if further apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed, I respectfully disagree about letting a scab heal, not while Trump and his minions continue to attempt to dumb down what transpired or going so far as to call it a love-in. Frankly I can't understand why Trump isn't in prison for setting the whole thing in motion.

      Delete
    2. You have a point, it is tit for tat which I wish could be halted at some point. While I'm sure Trump may be guilty for a lot of things such as tax evasion or illegal campaign contributions, I still haven't seen anything directly linking him to the capital riot. Sure he said fiery inflammatory things that worked a crowd up but so does Jesse Jackson before many protests that lead to looting, rioting and even the occasional death. We never threw the book at Jackson. Inflaming a crowd has never been illegal. Unpresidential behavior most definitely and we've impeached him for that. I would rather the democrats go after him for the other violations if they want their day in the sun and pound of flesh.

      Delete
    3. Trump tweeted "Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!" and thousands of insurrectionists heeded the call--he did everything but take their hand to the Capitol building! (He just said he would, as he scurried like a rat back to the safety of the White House to watch the chaos unfold!) DAMMIT THIS MAN SHOULD BE IN PRISON, HE IS A MENACE TO SOCIETY

      Delete
    4. Sorry to work you up on this Doug. I have no emotional involvement with either party so I know I see this differently than most. I guess if this were any other situation and Trump wasn't involved, a lawyer would have this case dismissed in an instant. Inviting people to protest something they don't believe in is NOT telling them to attack the capital. I know it is hard for many to look at this and see how ludicrous is appears to be prosecuting someone with absolutely no evidence. I'm in complete agreement with anyone who says he was smiling and enjoying what was going on from the safety of the Whitehouse. I'm in agreement that he is a sleaze ball and probably should be in prison for things that he has done. I just don't think rationally, we can slam the door and throw away the key for telling people to exercise their First Amendment. Do we prosecute Jesse Jackson the next time he asks people to protest the unjust death of a person by the hands of a cop and it leads to arson and death?

      I'll stop and leave you in peace Doug. I do appreciate your letting me say my two cents worth from a middle of the road perspective. When foreigners ask me what I like about my country the most, it is that I can publicly disagree with people and not get shot and dumped out in the desert.

      Delete
    5. Thanks Ed, and you didn't work me up (and even if you had, that's my issue to work thru, I have to accept the fact we all don't think the same). I just see little comparison between this and the BLM protests. One was a protest (with some shady characters using the marches to commit arson or do vandalism) and the other an attempt to overthrow the government at their unhinged leader's bidding. But I DO see better the statement you're making.

      Delete
  4. I would say it could be worse, you could live in Georgia. But I think Michigan, Pennsylvania and Arizona has a pretty LOUD tRumP crOWd. My sister was talking about the Thumpers and worrying if they will ever see the light. I know so many who are truly quality people and I am dumbfounded with their devotion to this madman. But my gut tells me the Orangino will be so unpopular in two, maybe ten years. I read in the news that Jared Kushner had already flipped on Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann--and as a Pennsylvanian, I know he has a loudmouth base here in the rural parts of the state still, which makes me very glad I live in the city! I just read that about Jared Kushner too, and I am keeping my fingers crossed--ALL of them!

      Delete
  5. I'm glad to know there are those in the religious community who were able to discern the issues with our former President given the Christian evangelicals who have been reported to be continuing to support him. I always thought what that President was doing to dismantle our form of government was obvious and was disappointed more people, especially those in government, did not speak up about it sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Joared, and I agree. Thank you for speaking up, at least!

      Delete
  6. I encourage people to watch Social Dilemma on Netflix or from the library. It explained so much to me about members of my own family. More than the political problem...religion, vaccine etc. We are worlds apart when we used to be close. And mainly through social media manipulation. It was an eye opener for me an sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks afcg, I'm intrigued and plan to watch this this week. I'd love some real answers.

      Delete
  7. Good post Doug. I watched much of the hearings today and I was in tears one minute and mad as heck the next. To make matters worse I later saw Kevin Mccarthy,
    minority leader of the house, saying the hearings were a sham. That made me sick.

    The state our country has been in for at least five years now (thanks mainly to Trump) has really scared me. I don't think we've ever been this divided unless you count the Civil War years. Imagine the kids growing up in this and how that can affect our country's future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thanks so much! I know exactly how you feel, I felt just the same. I'm so glad those Capital police didn't hold back. I heard McCarthy too later on, on YouTube and wanted to throw my tablet across the room. Thanks again Bonnie very much appreciate your comment. 👍

      Delete
  8. That's a pretty big limp your country has. I simply don't see how so many can still be fooled into thinking Trump is worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River, I don't get it either. I have a feeling we never will.

      Delete
  9. Hi Doug, thanks for sharing this. Very well written. I too don’t understand the devotion to Trump that some people have. Chuck has family in Connecticut and a few of his cousins love Trump. Whenever we would call or email them most of the conversation would be about him. Sadly they couldn’t understand our dislike of the man and they stopped being in touch. I hadn’t heard about Jared, must look that up!
    Enjoy the rest of the week!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, thanks for your comment. Sadly, I'm not surprised about Chuck having a few cousins... You guys are not alone, I have the same. Boy I could share some stories here, both related and non. Anyway, just glad to know more people like yourself Robin. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  10. I sometimes read his sermon on another blog. He is a good writer and very right about his views. But, let us indeed move forward like he says we should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi that's what I liked about this particular post, he expresses hope at the end of his piece. I'm glad you read him too :^)

      Delete
  11. Dear ApacheDug and Friends, i don't get it, Donald Trump is no longer President ... you'd think folks would get over themselves and move on. Anyway, googled John Pavlovitz. Looks like he doesn't exactly preach from the KJB...can't say am overly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Sue, he's not the fire and brimstone sort but he's a decent and compassionate person...

      Delete
  12. Very good post today Doug! All I can say is, since Biden was elected President, I don't wake up each morning dreading to hear what Trump is up to and I tune the Republican leaders out. They want Trumpers to vote for them and are afraid to admit the truth of the man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suemn, and I agree--in fact, a couple days ago I woke up and wondered what Joe Biden was up to; I think that's a good thing! As for today's GOP politicians, I know they want those votes but I honestly don't know how they can live with themselves. :^(

      Delete
  13. Dug, in my 76 years I've never felt the alarms go off like they do for this man (Trump). He has for the first time in my life brought 'fear' for our country into my heart. And although there are 'trumpers' in my family, I have avoided confrontations as I refuse to let politics affect my family. We agree to disagree (but it is so hard to understand). Anyway, I do wake up with hope now that Biden is in office. He may not be the best thing we've ever had... but he's not Trump. And I do have faith that good will triumph in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, this was such a great comment--thank you Rian, I feel very much the same way and it's always nice to know a kindred spirit. Thanks again!

      Delete
  14. My Kauai cousins tell me they get so irritated by “Sue’s” comments on my blog. We text back and forth and I told them you are definitely against Tump supporters and they said I should tell you that they ❤️ you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay thank you so much, I'm with your cousins 100%!! But I respect your wanting everyone to have their say--I just find it hard to ignore :^) Anyway Kay, you & your cousins made my day, thanks again! :^)

      Delete
  15. I too have people who support the former guy in my family, but we don't talk anymore. I really appreciated the sermon you posted here, Doug. It may take me awhile to comment, but I read everything you write, as well as comments you leave for me and others on our blogs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much DJan, and I'm sorry you have people that still follow that lunatic. I suppose we all do, and I'll probably go to my grave not understanding why! Anyway DJan, no explanation needed! But I always enjoy your own Edge blog writings and the people that comment, as well as your comments here. (But I did worry if I went too far with my Amelia Earhart comparison!) :^)

      Delete
  16. I really look forward to John's Messages too and have him on my sidebar so I don't miss one. Sometimes speaking the Truth is difficult for some people to receive, especially if it has to make them introspective or realize they can't have it both ways in some cases and straddle the proverbial fence. I too have had Friends and Family still devoted to Thing 45. I've distanced myself from all of them actually because it's too toxic and become too demented and unhinged to be acceptable on any level whatsoever. It made me question who THEY were at their very core to still have a Ride or Die Cult Devotion to such a degraded Human Being that he clearly is and actually, has always been frankly. I have to imagine that most of these people were Pretenders in that we never truly saw who they were in their Essence... or of what they're Attracted to that is abnormal and very questionable in Character. It reveals more about them than it ever does about him, since he is clearly what he is, has always been and will always be... it's just we've now found out how many are just like him, and that is what is so repulsive, it's a bigger group perhaps than we thought existed in American Society?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bohemian, very well said--I enjoyed reading this, I have spent a lot of time pondering these same things you wrote here... isn't it odd that this "Thing 45" has ANY followers, let alone the half of the country that voted for him. It both blows my mind and breaks my heart. I'm just glad to know smart people like yourself at this point. Thanks very much for sharing.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.