Wednesday, July 14, 2021

I want my MTV—but if this isn’t a sign to give it up, what is

Doggone it, I watch too much MSNBC.  I don’t watch too much tv in general, but there have been times when several days had passed without me ever changing the channel.  

For years, I only watched one show on MSNBC, Hardball with Chris Matthews.  It came on at 7pm Mon-Fri, after you’d gotten home from work, maybe taken a shower, ate your dinner & watched the local & national news.  And before “real tv” began. 

Chris resigned in 2020, right on the air after admitting he made female guests uneasy with his flirting.  He said he didn’t belong on tv anymore and walked right off the set.  Damn!  I miss him.

Anyway, I DID give up his cable-news show for a year back in 2015, after I saw a news story on the rise of indoor antennas and people cutting the (cable) cord.  One man demonstrated how to test your own tv’s potential for over the air reception using a paperclip.  If you could pick up one or two channels with the end of a paperclip in your coaxial cable port…

I was able to pick up my local CBS station, so I got an indoor antenna and picked up 15 more channels.  I wasted no time cutting that cord.

This was also the same time my early retirement began, so it felt great having an extra $116.00 towards my monthly budget.

My free tv didn’t last long though, I moved out of the city in 2016 and was forced to sign up for cable again.  And with MSNBC back in the picture (and no work-day ahead of me), I was able to start watching Morning Joe with Mika & Joe Scarborough on a regular basis, which aired 6-9am. 

I didn’t sit there and give it my full attention for 3 hours, but I very much liked their voices in the background while I shaved, cooked breakfast, etc.  

It wasn’t too long after that, with Trump running for President (oh the humanity) that I found several more voices on MSNBC I liked greatly.

Morning Joe, 6 to 9am; Nicole Wallace at 4pm, Rachel Maddow at 9pm & Brian Williams at 11pm

I still managed to enjoy other shows on other channels, I just set my DVR to record those and watched them on the weekend.

Masterchef could wait until Saturday, Rachel Maddow couldn’t!

And then in the spring of 2017, I moved back to Pittsburgh. 

Back in the city for keeps, I thought about giving up cable again; but my new apartment was unable to pick up any channels using an indoor antenna like before.  It didn’t matter, I didn’t want to be left in the dark when it came to Trump or his nefarious cohorts.  (He’s still the main topic on MSNBC, you know.)

I’ve learned however, it’s not healthy to have someone make your blood boil on a daily basis.  A couple weeks ago while in the hospital for kidney stones, I was told my blood pressure was in the danger zone even with my nightly BP medication. 

They asked me if I worry or get angry a lot, do I hold a lot of feelings in.  I admitted I probably watch too many shows around politics.  My doctor said I should try cutting back on them.  All I could think was Trump.  His cult.  I f*cking hate them.

And then this happened…

Recently, I saw a tech-talk on Youtube on how advanced smart-tv tuners have gotten in just the last couple years (prompting another surge in indoor antennas).

I didn’t see how it could make a difference, but I did just buy a 2021 model television.  I got out my trusty ‘test paperclip’, plugged it into the back of the set and did an antenna scan.

Unlike my 2011 Panasonic LED TV (which tuned in zero channels here), this time that paperclip picked up 18 over-the-air channels on my LG Smart tv, in pure high definition format.  Not one, not two… eighteen!

I jumped on Best Buy.com to buy a Mohu Bookshelf antenna (I had one before but lost it in my moves back in 2016) and it arrived this morning.  Plugged it in the back of my tv—am now receiving 39 over-the-air channels. 

I shopped around, but these are pretty much priced the same—$34.99.  Unlike those leaf antennas requiring a window, this can sit on a nearby shelf and be pointed in multiple directions 

Besides the 3 major networks & Fox, there’s retro channels like Decades, MeTV, GetTV & RetroTV.  There’s Stadium (a sports channel), Comet (sci-fi) Newsnet, QVC & HSN (shopping), Defy & True/Real (cable tv samplers), 4 “CSI’ channels centering on crime shows and a ton of themed movie channels. 

There’s even a CNN Highlights channel for antenna watchers!  Heh heh…

I finally got some straight answers from Xfinity on what it’s going to cost/save me to go from their ‘Triple Blast’ (cable, internet & phone) to just internet.  Including taxes & modem/router rental, my new total will be $74.55.

With my current bill at $205.66, that will be a savings of $131.11 a month.  Woo-hoo!  (I don’t mean to sound like a skinflint or on some bare bones budget.  I just hate to waste money.)   

Anyway, I told the Xfinity rep I’d get back to them in a week.  I unplugged my cable, I want to see how big a deal living without that X1 box is going to be.  I’m sure things will be fine, besides all the local channels I also subscribe to Netflix & Paramount Plus.  And my LG tv also displays a ton of free streaming options like Pluto, Vudu, Crackle, etc.   

And if I get to missing MSNBC too much, I can always sign up for Sling Blue.  It carries all the cable news channels including MSNBC for $35.00.  Yes I’d probably be spiking my blood pressure again, but I’d still be saving close to $100 a month!

22 comments:

  1. You are such an inspiration! You should tell me how to save money. There are so many ways to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Gigi! Though I admire you too--when you recently got that new car of yours at such a good price, I think you knocked all your readers for a loop on that one--me included :^)

      Delete
  2. Just a paper clip huh?? I'll check one of those antennas but think as rural as I am that it may not work. Also I am addicted to MLB Extra Innings which is probably a no go. Thanks for the heads up though and enjoy all that extra money. Plus you might save on BP meds you will no longer need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti--yes, I think that paperclip test is for people within a 25 mile radius of their tv towers (and no mountains or such to obstruct the signal). You could also check for LOCAST, which allows you to stream your local channels for free. As for the BP meds, I think I'm on them for life... oh well!

      Delete
    2. Congratulations, it sounds like you've got it all worked out! I've never seen the Shelf Mohu. I like that better than the leaf style. Enjoy your new Smart TV experience!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Bonnie! I knew you were the cord cutting expert, I wondered if you had a preferred indoor antenna. I do like this bookshelf antenna a lot, it's also come down in price since 5 years ago. If you ever have any cord cutter tips, please let me know!

      Delete
  3. This is great! That is quite a savings. John has been talking about cutting the cable for over a year, but hasn't made any moves to do so. I'm definitely not brave enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this was a pretty long blog, thanks for reading Margaret. It does take some bravery, I still haven't done it yet either! ☺️

      Delete
  4. Another pat on the back from me, Doug! Well done managing your entertainment expense. Amazed that a paper clip would work at all and glad your new bookshelf antenna brings in 39 OTA channels. I figure the programs are making more than enough in advertising revenue without paying extra for cable as well. Oh, and I listen to Rachael Maddow podcasts on my iPad each night. (Blood pressure not withstanding)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very kind, thanks Florence. And yes, that paper clip thing is amazing. There has to be some perks for living in the city right? 🙂 Anyway, thank you so much for the reminder--I totally forgot that Rachel Maddow does podcasts, I need to check those out!

      Delete
  5. Gawwwwd it's awful how much Politics after Thing 45 have probably spiked my Blood Pressure too! I never gave two shits about Politics before since all sides previously had decent enough people that whoever was in didn't really make me think our Democracy and way of Life was in real peril, now I do worry it is... A LOT! So, like you, had to Dial back how much exposure to News I have... so that I can remain in a place of Calm and not become agitated! Cable has gotten expensive, I can remember when it was only $8 a Month for the same Company that now charges me more than I care to admit I'm paying, since I know The Man lives for his Cable TV, so I can't take that from him. I can keep the TV off for Days really, except for keeping up with News, so that I know if the Apocalypse is coming, I rarely watch Shows and their annoying reruns. Tho' I did go on a binge with a particular Show the other Day, they had a Marathon of the entire Season... I'd missed several episodes and it was one of the few I actually got addicted to watching regularly and found interesting "The Secrets Of Skinwalker Ranch"... yeah, shows how much Pandemic has affected my Brain I guess? *LMAO* As for Rachel, she's Adorable, isn't she, her Eyes sparkle when she's doing her News segment and she's so Clever and has such a Wicked sense of Humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bohemian I have a feeling I could have a long chat with you! I DO REMEMBER (back in the 80s) when cable was only $8.00 a month--in fact I've told people that and they don't believe me! Anyway they got too greedy and now a lot of people are quitting their accounts! Anyway, I did hear about that Skywalker Ranch series, I wanted to see that, I need to look into that! And yes I agree with you about Rachel, she is SMART. That was so great what you said, thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  6. I make it a point to steer clear of all 24 hr "news" channels. But I am thinking about going to perhaps YouTube TV instead of my cable monopoly. Unfortunately antennas out here in rural America aren't an attractive option. Last time I checked, I got exactly one channel and that was the one in town which is horrible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed I haven't exactly ruled out Youtube TV, even though it's 65.00 a month it's STILL half the price of regular cable. If I hadn't suddenly got all these OTA channels, I might've done that route. If you do, please let me know! And yes, 24 hour news channels.. they're addictive!

      Delete
  7. Free to air TV is all I have, since I don't bother watching any of the morning news or talk shows, not even midday or afternoon stuff. I'm not one of those people who gets up every morning and turns on the TV when my eyes are barely open. I don't need the background chatter. I like the silence. I watch the 6pm news, to keep up with the Covid breakouts and lockdowns, just to find out if I need to start wearing a mask on public transport again. Then I switch to usb or dvd for the rest of the night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, you're a smart cookie--the peace CAN be good, I need to take my tv off autopilot. At least I do when I'm blogging or reading comments! :^)

      Delete
  8. We still have a huge antennae in the crawl space under our roof. We used to get the major channels, but the Japanese channel for my mother was on the mountain and the rest were in the other direction. So we had to point the thing in between which was not optimum. BUT it was all free! My aunt used to record the cable NHK shows on tape for my mother. When my aunt passed away mom was so heartbroken that we decided to bite the bullet and get cable so mom could watch her special shows. We also bought her a big screen TV. And yes, it did raise her spirits. People laugh when they see the 32” TV that Art and I watch. Anyway, our antennae is still in the attic… just sitting there.

    You are a genius at coming up with all these good deals. I need you to move next door and do these things for us.

    And by the way, Art listens to news all the time and his blood pressure is probably not the best. He would be echoing your sentiments exactly about that cult leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I think it's terrific how you & Art look out for your mom--but I think we need to work on Art some more so you can have a 43" tv at least, it makes such a nice difference! Anyway, I appreciate you sharing the antenna & cable experience, I was wondering how you guys got tv in Hawaii. And cable IS nice, if your mom (and you) are enjoying it, that's all that matters--but I was only using mine for one channel. And finally I wish I DID live closer to you guys, I bet you & Art are great to chat with! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Doug, ah, the good old days when all we had was an antenna! I am very impressed with all the channels you can pick up. We are in a dead zone where we live and can only pick up a few channels. That’s why we don’t watch tv. Don’t all the commercials drive you crazy? When we stayed at a hotel a couple years ago we thought we would watch the news one night. Commercials every six or seven minutes! Last time I had watched tv the commercials were only every fifteen minutes. Ok, now I sound old!!
    Great deal on your internet, that is quite a savings.
    I am like River and like the silence. I would rather listen to the birds and occasional cat.😆
    Have a good weekend Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin I was sitting here earlier wondering if I can live without my X1 (which is also a DVR); I've always recorded my favorite shows to watch them later ad-free! So, the jury's still out on this one, I'll just have to wait & see. I'm sorry to hear about your Dead Zone, but it sounds like it's been a good thing for you. Anyway you don't sound old, I remember when we had half the commercials too! Maybe I better start looking at dvrs... anyway Robin thank you and I hope you have & enjoy a peaceful weekend. PS My tv hasn't been on now for nearly 2 hours ;^)

      Delete
  10. I agree re the commercials, these days it seems like the ads are the main program and the shows are just short breaks in between. Phooey on them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.