Friday, January 14, 2022

Git along little dougies: It’s time for ApacheDug’s Music Video Roundup, Vol. 3

A couple of nights ago, I was doing my customary ‘read for 1/2 hour, watch Youtube for 1/2 hour’ on my tablet before going to sleep when it occurred to me it’s been a year since I shared my last collection of favorite music videos.

(If you’re curious, you can check that out here.)

For those of you unfamiliar with my selection criteria, every so often I come across a song or tune that just sticks in my craw. 

If I watch it more than 4-5 times in the space of a month, it earns a spot on my blog wall!  So in pretty much ascending order (definitely saving the best for last…)

10. “I Still Have Faith in You” by ABBA, 2021

Who would’ve believed it, the legendary group ABBA returning after 40 years?  While I’m sure their reunion’s a short lived one (and what do you think of their younger CGI counterparts in this video), it still has been exciting seeing and hearing them perform together again.

9. “Lonely Nights (Angel Face)” by Captain & Tennille, 1976 

Toni Tennille once said in an interview she had difficulty with this song, because of her own struggles with Daryl; it made her teary inside.  Well, she looked about as teary as a bag of Jiffy Pop popcorn here!  Still, she could belt out a tune and always gave me something to smile about.  Love you Toni.

8. “We Got the Beat” by The Go-Go’s (Live from the Today Show) 2020

I saw this live back in September 2020 on the Today Show, and wondered briefly if I had any hormones remaining for Jane Wiedlin.  In a word, YES.  (She’s the curvy one with gray spikes jumping around.)  But don’t they all sound great?

7. “How Do You Handle a Hungry Man” Campbell’s Manhandlers Soup Commercial, 1970s

Back around 1973 when I was in Boy Scouts, Brad Martin would cup his privates with both of his hands and sing either the Burger King jingle “It takes two hands to handle a Whopper” or this Campbells jingle below.  He’d laugh so hard it made us laugh too!

Gee I liked Brad, he was a goof but a good egg.  Nerd smile

6. “I Bet” by Shuba, 2021

Shuba was in my last music roundup, courtesy of Peter Tibbles from Australia who turned me on to her with a video of her singing along to Brian May’s guitar. I quickly became a fan of this young woman (and her sense of humor, as you’ll see here).

5. “Head Over Heels” by The Go-Go’s, 1984

What can I tell you… after seeing their sixtysomething counterparts on Today, I HAD to watch all of the Go-Go’s 80’s videos again.  I liked this one best, I’ve probably watched it 20 times.  (And if Belinda Carlisle is competing with Jane Wiedlin for my attention, they both won!)

4. “Sweet Jaime” (sung by) Lee Majors, 1976

Do you remember this storyline on The Six Million Dollar Man?  Jaime was Steve Austin’s fiance.  He talks her into going skydiving, her parachute fails, she breaks every bone in her body.  Steve convinces Oscar Goldman to give her bionic parts like his own.  They save her life, but Jaime forgets she was in love with Steve; so to be with her, he must pretend they’re only friends. 

Meanwhile in real life, Lee Majors was fighting to get his wife Farrah Fawcett-Majors to come home after she left him for Ryan O’Neal.  “Doug, were you really feeling sorry for the Six Million Dollar Man back then?” 

“Yes!  My heart isn’t made of stone, y’know!”

3. “When You Believe” from The Prince of Egypt (sung by) Lucy & Martha Thomas, 2021

A month ago after watching a special about Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story, I went on Youtube to do a search for songs from the movie.  A girl named Lucy Thomas kept appearing in the results.  Who’s Lucy Thomas? 

It turns out, a very talented young woman from England, with a wide catalog of songs on her channel.

I’ve been listening to many of them, I predict big things for her.  Here, 17 year old Lucy sings with her 11 year old sister Martha.  It’s both sweet and a little old school, in the best way.  These girls are terrific. 

2. “Abhor-Rent: 525,600 Minutes Since the Insurrection” from The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, 2022

I admit it.  A week ago (January 6, to be exact) I spent the day glowering.  It’s been one year since Trump incited his white trash minions to overthrow democracy, so why in the world is this fascist phony still walking free?? 

By bedtime, my head was ready to explode!  Thankfully, Stephen Colbert saved the day (and my head) with this AWESOME show-opener.

1. “To Sir With Love” (sung by) Lulu, 1967

I actually began watching this updated video of Lulu’s biggest hit around 3 months ago when it was first posted on Youtube.  Love the song, the artist, love the movie.  Sidney Poitier’s recent passing makes it even more poignant.

    

25 comments:

  1. I think my favorite was the pieced together Go-Go song done recently. Although I appreciate the humor in abhor-rent, it is those sorts of things that make me realize neither side really wants to find common ground. Both sides just wants to rub the other side's nose the proverbial feces pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly don't see it that way Ed, like one party's guilty as the other. But we're all entitled to our own opinions. 🙂. Anyway, we're both on the same page when it comes to those grown up Go-Gos!

      Delete
    2. Alas, it is the curse of being Independent when it comes to politics. A burden I have carried for many years.

      Delete
  2. Quite a selection. I didn't know Lee Majors could sing--and I still don't but he was one hunky guy. I miss Abba. Hope they do stick around. Since I record Colbert, I did see and enjoy abhor-rent.
    Your buddy was a pretty funny guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, poor Lee! Well Patti, sometimes a song can be so bad it's good. 😄. And Ed makes a good point about needless name calling, but I can't help but feel a lot better after seeing Colbert's video! Anyway that's nice of you to say about Abba. I couldn't agree more. 👍♥️

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of these musicians/singers since I mostly listen to classical music. But, Colbert is good. I heard him sing with Andrew Lloyd Wenner at the piano. He has a really nice voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Gigi, that was nice what you said about Colbert, I was expecting something different from you. 🙂👍

      Delete
  4. I always liked to feature obscure music in my columns but you have trumped me.
    Okay, everyone of a certain age knows Lulu and “To Sir With Love”.
    I actually have some Abba in my collection.
    I vaguely remember The Captain and Tennille and I’ve heard of the Go-Go’s.
    The rest…
    Who knew Lee Majors sang? Good thing he didn’t give up his day job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Peter, I'm glad to hear from you. I know the Lee Majors song was a bit dorky, but man it hits the dork in me. I hope you and Norma are well, please get my best to the musicologist.😎👍♥️

      Delete
  5. My faves were Shuba's 'I Bet' (love her glitzy high energy) and Colbert's 'Abhor-Rent' (great to at least see some of the treasonous minions getting some consequence). A nice selection, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, will you accept a check or do you require Bitcoin? Thank you, dear! 😄💖

      Delete
  6. I haven't listened to any of these yet, but they are like little gems of delight to savor as I feel like it. Thank you so much, Doug. I also don't know why I didn't comment on your last post, I love that laser beam cat picture so much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, I hope one of them tickles your fancy.. 🙂♥️

      Delete
  7. This was so much fun! You made me look up what happened to Steve Austin and Jamie. I wanted a happy ending. Prince of Egypt was beautiful and To Sir With Love... sigh... It made me very nostalgic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bollywood! I love it. Shuba.
    I like the ABBA song and those two young girls have amazing voices.
    I watched Head over Heels, but have no clue which one is Belinda Carlisle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River I agree about those two girls, very talented! As for Belinda Carlisle, she's the lead singer. The only one not playing an instrument. 😎

      Delete
  9. Gosh! I thought I left a comment here. Is my brain out of whack again or was I using my iPad which somehow makes comments disappear? Anyway, just want to add that I looked up Captain and Tenille. I used to love Muskrat Love. They were married for 39 years before she finally divorced him. And I need to look up To Sir, With Love so I can watch it again. I loved Sidney Poitier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, How are you? The other residents in Blogville miss you, me included! I keep going over to Musings just to check...🙂 Well I'm sorry about your comments disappearing, that happens to me sometimes too when I'm using my tablet instead of my laptop. The movie to Sir with Love, I just looked that up the other night too. It was on Tubi that same day and now I'm sorry I didn't see it. I'll have to check again. It was nice hearing from you Kay. 🙂👍💕

      Delete
  10. I also had to look up Sweet Jaime to find out if there was a happy ending. I like happy endings. Those two sisters are awesome too. Thank you for sharing these fun videos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Doug, I love your music videos. Such an eclectic mix! All the 1970’s and 1980’s ones I remember. To Sir with Love was my parent’s favourite movie so I grew up hearing that song quite a bit. I saw “Abhor -rent “ the other day, very well done!
    Have a good weekend Doug.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, you always say nice things, thank you my friend! Well your parents had good taste, to Sir with Love is such a first class movie. And I'm glad you got to see Abhorrent, I wondered if the Canadians I know on here would be able to.. heh heh, so great. I hope you have a good weekend too, we are expecting 8 to 12 in of snow Sunday night! 🙂👍♥️

      Delete
  12. Isn't Youtube fantastic?!? There's not a song in history that you can't find on there. Now ... if only I don't spend the rest of the day singing that Manhandler song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... Tom I had that jingle stuck in my head for 2 days! Sorry about that! 😄😄

      Delete
  13. The Go Gos are so catchy! I was an avid watcher of the 6 Million Dollar Man so I do remember that storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret I always knew there was something a little extra about you I liked, I never would have guessed it was bionics! 😉💕

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.