Sunday, January 16, 2022

I thought this was my “Get Out of Covid Free” card

Sunday morning and Day 3 of feeling like I was hit by a truck.  I was fine on Friday until 10pm, when my temperature shot up like a rocket.  All day Saturday it was 100.8.  I can’t stop coughing and every inch of my body hurts from my head to my toes.

My neighbor up the hall knocks on my door earlier and asks if I’m using the laundry room.  I tell him no thru the door.  He says “WHAT?”  I answer “IF I OPEN THIS DOOR YOU’RE GOING TO GET COVID!”   Is he running away?  I’m tempted to chase him.

Less than 15 minutes later, another knock at my door.  It’s Nurse Steele from the 6th floor, the nicest nurse in Pittsburgh.  Thoughts of infecting my neighbor quickly fade.  She tells me not to open my door, but would I like a rapid covid antigen reponse test.  I say yes, please.  (If she had asked if I wanted my gallbladder removed, I would’ve said yes to that too.  I just want SOMETHING done.)

She asks me if I forgot to get vaccinated and adds “It’s okay, you’re not the first one here to put it off.”   EXCUSE ME?  

I fetch my vaccine card, slide it under my door.  She slides it back (with her foot) and says “I’m sorry, I’ll be right back!”

This is me, after learning one of my blogging friends is a Conservative.  Just kidding—it’s me getting my test results back, I am “70 to 90 percent positive for covid.”

I had this once before, you know.  In July 2020.  My God, I’m a hermit and still manage to get this awful thing twice!

Nurse Steele asks (thru my door)  if I have a thermometer.  YES I tell her, I most certainly do. 

    
I told her yesterday it was 100.8, so maybe I’m getting better.  She asks if I feel any better.  Nope.  She says to try not to worry too much.  If it was a couple degrees higher and there were other factors involved, like being in my sixties or having high blood pressure…

Haha—I’m doomed!  Crying face

Nurse Steele left then returned later and told me (through my door) she alerted building management.  They’re going to email a notice to all the residents in our building that I am under quarantine and should be avoided this week.  Do other residents have to know??

I’m not bothered, we’re getting 6-12” of snow tonight and I’m stocked up with everything I need.  While I’m not in bed, thrashing my sheets and muttering incoherently, I shall be working on my Unablogger Manifesto.  Talk to everyone soon.

18 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about you getting covid again Doug. You take care of yourself. I know it's awful for some people as my 30 something year old nephew was quite sick with covid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Doug, I am so sorry you are sick. You even look feverish in the photos. I am a bit relieved you have nurse access through the door. My sister and neice have come down with it. It is everywhere and hopefully your vaccines will keep you from the worst of it. Drink lots of fluids and please be much better soon. Sending a virtual hug and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I made a mistake in the above comment. Anyway, at least you're in good company. My neighbor has it, my daughter has it, my son and his girlfriend had it over Christmas. But the only people I've heard of who really got sick are the ones who didn't get vaccinated. So that card is not your get-out-of-Covid-free card, it's your stay-out-of-the-hospital card. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dug, I agree with Tom... it's your "stay out of the hospital" card. As you know, we too (DH and I) were hit this week. It was a shock as with all the vaccines and being so careful, HOW did this happen? Oh well, it did... and although DH is the only one tested (and positive), he apparently has a mild case as no fever, just symptoms like a cold (coughing, sneezing). Hope you feel better soon. I feel like we've just joined a club no one wants to belong to. My advice: drink lots of water, take something for the fever, and sleep!! But putting you in my prayer list (which is getting longer by the day).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang it! I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this, but I too agree with Tom. Hope it goes away fast and now that you've had it plus the vaccine, you are super resistant--from what I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Priceless 'astonishment' capture, Doug. Seriously though, those vaccines are your tickets to mild-case-only-ville. Sure hope you bounce back soon! Lucky you for having Nurse Steele nearby. For the past couple of days, I've had a head cold with fever but no aches. At least I ASSUME it's just a head cold. I don't have a testing kit. Like you, I have plenty of groceries on hand and intend to go nowhere until the expected snow storm is over and cleared away.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Doug, I'm so sorry you've got this awful thing. This Omicron variant is everywhere now and doesn't seem to care if you've been vaccinated. My son and his wife just got over it and my grandchildren had it earlier. I have felt bad recently but there are no test kits left in our area because everyone has it.

    Thank goodness you are stocked up with everything you need. It's also good to know that these days you can order almost anything to be delivered if you discover something you need. It does sound like you have quite an uncomfortable case of it. Drink lots of liquids and rest! I hope you feel much better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doug, oh my goodness, poor you!! I am so sorry you are going through this! Here in Canada they are encouraging everyone to get a third booster. I go for mine tomorrow. I am so glad you have such caring people around you.
    Get well soon Doug!!❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doug, so sorry... I too Tested Positive Today and have COVID Pneumonia, which is worse than regular Pneumonia apparently, well, shit... the good news just keeps coming doesn't it? The Man tested Negative {for now} and another Family member in the house also tested Positive, so of coarse Quarantine will occupy our next Two Weeks at least and no School for the Grandchild we're Raising and no Work for anyone Infected either. I think this will have to burn thru the entire population given how badly it's been mitigated here in America and how many Covidiots abound. No matter what we did as precautions and extra protection, I always did feel we'll get it eventually, so in a way, it's a relief to just get it and hopefully survive it. Take Care, glad you have Neighbors looking out for you since you live alone my Friend. Virtual Hugs... since nobody can Hug you for Reals right now...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear you are ill, but being vaccinated it probably won't last long and you won't get the long-term after effects either. Yes, I think other residents do need to be told, so they can be more careful in common areas, by touching as few things as possible, wearing masks and washing their hands. At least you already have everything you need on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have managed to avoid the recent surge from omicron, but who knows how long that will continue? I'm sorry you're so sick, but you should not have to end up in the hospital, thanks to your vaccines. Right now I'm looking for a comfortable secure mask I can wear without needing to take it off for any reason.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So now I know how you react when you read my political comments! Hah!

    Hoping you get better soon Doug. I keep waiting to get infected as I have two kids in two different school systems doing in person school and a mother-in-law who doesn't really grasp the meaning of social distancing when she is out and about. But we are all fully vaccinated thus far so I'm hoping for mild symptoms if and when it arrives.

    Take it easy my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dang it! I was just popping back in because Art said to ask if you got that 6 inches of snow forecasted for Pittsburg. Sheesh! And now I’m seeing you got it? COVID, that is. There are so many vaccinated relatives and friends I know who are getting it. I’ll check back to see if you post. Please let us know how you’re doing. You’re handsome even when you’re sick, Doug. My uncle passed away and they’re having the funeral next month. The family wants to know if we’re coming with my mom. You’ve just convinced me that we shouldn’t go.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I am so sorry to read this. I hope I don't get it to add to my misery. Glad you are stocked up and have a warm bed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Doug, how are you doing? I'm worried about you! Keep us posted when you can. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Doug, I hope you are feeling better! I've been concerned about you too. I'm sending you positive and healing thoughts! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Holy cow, Doug. I hope you have a pulse-ox as well. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.