Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Three special ladies in my life right now

Lately I’ve gotten to know (or re-know) a few terrific women whom I consider good friends.  I just thought I’d write something small here about each of them.

This is my dear friend and former coworker Kimberly.  We met in the late 80’s, when I started my IT career at the Allegheny County Department of Aging. 

Kim was a social worker, but we were only a year apart in age and quickly became friends.  (I had a crush on her at the start but she was married—and pregnant with the first of 3 boys!) 

I wound up leaving Aging in 1997, and for years we only stayed in touch via Christmas cards, but Kim always included a couple photos and a nice letter. 

This past December, Kimba learned she had cancer and we became close again.  (During her treatments I told her she was Kimba for Kimba the White Lion, a cartoon we watched in the 1960s.)  She underwent major surgery & chemotherapy, and just recently been declared cancer free. 

A couple weeks ago, her mother & sister took Kim to Las Vegas (pictured above) just for the adventure of it.  

I don’t pray often, but these past few months I sure have prayed for Kim. 

This is my dear friend and former classmate Diana (on the left).  She’s standing in my sister Shawn’s house and that’s Shawn on the right.

This photo isn’t recent, it’s 10 or so years old.  But I only have 2 pics of Diana.

We went to junior & senior high school together, and never spoke a word to one another.  But as the years went by, Diana reached out to various classmates (myself included) and eventually our emails evolved into some very long phone chats.  Now I don’t know how I went so long without talking to her!

Twice widowed, Diana lives in another state now but keeps herself busy with lots of volunteer & church projects.  She’s a conspiracist, and thinks there are nefarious plots behind everything from government to big pharma to doctors & the nightly news; but she’s so smart & good-hearted, you can’t help but want to listen to her.

She’s a good egg though, and I enjoy the honesty we have.  When I say “Diana, I’m rolling my eyes right now” she just laughs!

This is my ornery friend and neighbor Pearl.  She’s 10 years older than me, and a frequent visitor to the Senior Center I’ve recently joined.  When a group of us went on a tour of the Heinz History Center a couple weeks ago, Pearl & I hung out together.

Pearl loves to laugh and likes to tease just to get a reaction.  The day I signed up at the Senior Center and was introduced to everyone, Pearl said “I don’t believe it!  I tried to get Doug to join a year ago and he said no!”  When someone asked why I declined, she said “Because he peeked in and said we weren’t pretty enough!”

I took this photo of Pearl in front of a Conestoga wagon recently, she said “Do you even know what this is?”  I said “Of course I do!  Does it bring back any memories for you?”

We both laughed, no harm done.  A couple days ago after a hot dog cookout at the center, they began setting up tables for bingo and I said that was my cue to go. 

Pearl asked if I’d stay and chat, and we wound up trading stories for two hours.

24 comments:

  1. Doug, these ladies sound just lovely. Glad to read Kimberly has been declared cancer free. Wonderful you have such great phone chats with Diana. Pearl sounds like lots of fun. Enjoy the rest of your week!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin, you always say the nicest things. Don't be surprised if you appear on a future post. 🙂

      Delete
  2. They sound like wonderful people, Doug! It's important to have those connections with others, especially those with good senses of humor. Honestly, it would be tough for me to be friends with a conspiracist so I admire you for overlooking that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, and for the record I'm glad we're friends too! As for Diana the conspiracist, she really is a good friend first & foremost and as long as she isn't singing Donald Trump's praises, we're fine :^)

      Delete
  3. Interesting friends. (Not sure how a woman widowed twice, which is full of reality, loves conspiracies.) Glad you've gone to some Center adventures. Linda in Kansas, (yep, we know about those wagons!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Linda! As for those covered wagons, well you do live out west don't you.... ;^)

      Delete
    2. There's a working wagon with horses at a nearby history farm/museum, one at a nature garden, and one that's been at a western KC shopping area for at least 40 years, and another sitting in front of a regional hamburger shop. We're ready to roll anywhere in town if you've got some horses! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
    3. Linda I like how you're always ready for anything! ☺️

      Delete
  4. Well, that's great you have very good female friends. My friends tend to be Asian women married to white men. Biracial marriages are popular in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi. Well, they are just friends. When I'm ready to marry, I'm coming to Hawaii. 😉❤️

      Delete
  5. A pleasure to meet your friends, Doug. So glad that Kimberly's treatment has worked and she's now healthy. Diana and Pearl look like fun ladies. By the way, I've been wondering about the vexatious pit bull, Pilot. Is he still a nuisance in your building or has he been given a shorter leash? Just nosey, I mean curious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Florence and for the chuckle as well! As a matter of fact that infernal mutt IS still here which really shocks me. I think the owners are setting themselves up for a lawsuit the first time someone who lives here gets bit!

      Delete
  6. I'd suggest these ladies are lucky to have you in their lives as well. I'm sure Kimberly felt your support throughout her treatment, Diane can be assured of your non-judgmental nature, and you're a great fall guy for Pearl. She, Pearl, sounds like a real hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maebeme, what a great comment! Thanks so much. 🙂

      Delete
  7. Cancer free is what we all want to hear. You have lovely friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is important to surround yourself with people you are happy to have around. Because the feeling is usually mutual.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fine friends you have! I enjoyed learning a little bit about each one of them. That was fun, Doug. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan! I always enjoy your feedback, your opinion matters to me. :^)

      Delete
  10. Oh my, three ladies.

    I don’t pray at all, but I sure wish Kim well.

    I would have a problem with a conspiracist – one who has no truck with genuine evidence, but puts faith in any old nonsense plucked out of thin air. I’d roll my eyes too.

    I recognise what seems to be a Conestoga wagon, but what’s that big silver thing next to Pearl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I know what you mean about conspiracists in general, but Diana is a smart cookie. She takes the time to explain her beliefs and for the most part they're sound. I am very sure you'd like her. As for that silver object beside Pearl, The museum was a factory 75-100 years ago and they left a lot of that type of stuff in place. 🙂 Man I loved the place.

      Delete
  11. I don't know if my comment will go to spam as it did on your last post, but just wanted to say your 3 women friends mentioned seem like a likable bunch. One of my dear friends is a lady from Tai wan who I worked with for years... and we still keep in touch. And I think we all know people who believe in the conspiracy theories... (don't want to live like that myself but that's their choice). And also know someone like Pearl who like to tease and get a reaction (but I accept that as just the way they are - doesn't bother me). Sounds like you enjoyed visiting that museum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, I'm glad you can relate and I always enjoy your feedback. (If I ever do a blog about online ladies, you & DJan will be both on that list!) Rian I am so sorry, yes your comment did go to my spam folder with no email notification. Why?? Since your last one, I've been checking it (my spam folder) 2-3 times a day. Ever since Google took over Blogger, all we get are these issues.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.