Tuesday, June 23, 2026

Meanwhile, life goes on: Thinking out Loud, June 2026

A couple days ago my sister Courtney sent this photo of her & her husband Robert's 3 dogs--Stormy, Shiva & Ace, following her into the basement of their home in Cincinnati Ohio.  For some reason it reminded me of that big dog licking Richard Mulligan's face in the opening of that '80s sitcom "Empty Nest".  

"Life goes on, and so do we... how do we do it is a mystery..."   

I'm sitting here in my customary spot on the floor in front of my couch on a cloudy afternoon, no plans of course (except what I'm making for dinner--a pot of chili) and feeling better than I have been in awhile.

From the neck down, I am healing up nicely.  My four belly incisions from my gall bladder surgery aren't pretty, but no longer hurt.  My stomach's monster swelling has gone down, and last night (for the first time since the surgery) I was able to lie flat on my back at bedtime.  

From the neck up however... the long covid pushes on.  Burning eyes, dry mouth, pressure in sides of my head.  But there is improvement. 

I feel I need to apologize to anyone reading this, as I have a difficult time keeping mum about my health issues.  I've driven a couple people in my life away since the whole long covid thing began, and I'm not sure I'll be able to get them back and frankly I don't think I even want to.  But at the very least I want to thank all the friends and visitors who take the time to come here and read my blog.  I feel guilty sharing so much here, but it sure helps to get it out.  

On a lovelier note, here's a recent photo of my niece Sophia with her beau Luke.  Is it just me because I'm her uncle, or is this young woman as beautiful as I think? 

Heavens.  And speaking of family (and long covid), the morning my whole gall bladder adventure began, I was talking to Sophia's mom (my sister Shawn) who asked if I'd heard about nicotine patches being a possible aid in reducing long covid symptoms.

I did, but never really looked into it until that call.  There's no official studies of course, or documented findings, but some researchers claim 7mg of nicotine daily for 30 days seemed to help a number of cases.  So I figured, why not.

I'm not crazy about the notion of wearing a nicotine patch again (I quit smoking nearly 20 years ago) but at least it's a very small amount of nicotine and right now I'm willing to try anything.   I have an appointment with my surgeon this Thursday (I suppose he wants to review his handiwork) and if everything looks okay, I think I'm going to begin the nicotine patch regimen next week.

Well, that's all I have for now.  After a week of eating oatmeal, bananas & chicken paste I am craving something red.  I'm anxious to see if I can tolerate a bowl of chili without too much inflammation or oral pain.  I normally add a lot of spices to my chili--garlic, ground red pepper, chili powder, etc. but not this time.  My body is way too tender for anything more than ground beef, tomatoes and beans.   Thanks for stopping by, it's much appreciated.

45 comments:

  1. Hi Doug. So glad you are feeling better! This is good news and an encouraging sign. Sorry your head isn't cooperating. Been reading up on the nicotine patch thing. Seems 14 days will tell, but not to take past 30. Some positive comments on the web and why it may help. Meanwhile, hope the chili is mild enough to eat, but still have enough umph to warm yer cockles. Take care, Kris in Ohio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good news mostly. I'm sorry you've lost people through the long covid. Some friends are for a season as the saying goes. Yes, Sophia is a beauty. She looks very happy - ah, youth. I miss some aspects of it - the vigor and physical abilities in particular, don't you? Best to youm Dug. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, and very nice what you said about Sophia. And I couldn't agree more, I don't miss the poverty of youth--but I'd happily take everything else! :^)

      Delete
  3. Hi Dug! Good to hear that your gall bladder surgery is healing well. If you can sit on the floor without difficulty after having surgery - that's really good. And the nicotine patch sounds worth trying. You've got some of us followers looking into long covid hoping to find something that could possibly help (although I'm sure you're looking pretty much into it all yourself). But you never know, someone might come up with something that actually helps... hope, hope! As for chili, I'm not a fan... and not sure too much hot spicy is good for you right now... (and you seem to be aware of this) but that's because after my gall bladder surgery, I had trouble eating rich or spicy food. Take care... sending virtual hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, you are a dear friend and your feedback always means so much to me... thank you! (And yes that chili was pretty bland but STILL tomatoey tasty.) :^)

      Delete
  4. You know lots of medical treatments have been discovered accidentally- so here’s hoping the patches help
    And yes your niece is beautiful- you have every right to be a proud Uncle

    I know it’s not the saw Doug but I have had people walk away from me after I became a widow . The death of my husband ( much like I imagine your diagnosis of Long Covid ) is the most devastating experience of my lifetime . I am forever changed - and if people can’t get that then I have to let them go - I cannot return to the person I was before Tony died ( unless someone can magically restore him o me )
    Use the blog to talk to us . That’s why we are here
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate what you said, and in a way can very much relate. Thank you for your feedback Siobhan, and for the lovely words about my niece too.

      Delete
    2. Doug, please keep posting, and letting us know how you are feeling. We all keep hoping that one day we will open your blog and read that all your Covid symptoms have disappeared. In the meantime we appreciate your taking the time to keep us updated, regardless of how badly you are feeling. You have dealt with everything that has been thrown at you with class and unbelievable patience. We are all pulling for you!
      Mike TX

      Delete
    3. Gosh Mike, this was so nice of you. Thank you, people like yourself really help keep me motivated. 🙂

      Delete
  5. Woof.

    You seem to know the words to theme of every sitcom from the seventies and eighties.
    Okay, so I know (or used to know) the words to every pop song from the fifties).

    No, it’s not just because you’re her uncle.

    It sounds as if things are getting better for you. I hope this is so.

    Is chili without any chili in it just red stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Peter! The funny thing is, I wasn't even a fan of that 80s show. But darn it, it's theme song is stuck in my head. Thanks for the nice response about my niece too (boy she's a knockout) and you are certainly right about my so-called "chili". I'm afraid for now it is just red stuff. But I wound up freezing half of it, and I WILL add spices to it when I have it again, I promise.

      Delete
  6. Hey Doug,
    I used to watch Empty Nest when it was on but don't remember the dog licking Richard Mulligan's face in the opening credits. I guess my memory's failing me in my old age. But I do remember Dinah Manoff and Kristy McNichol playing his daughters and Park Overall (what an unusual name) portraying his receptionist/nurse. Yes, your niece is beautiful. What a lucky guy her boyfriend is. Glad you're getting better (at least from the neck down). Take care, old pal.
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Steve, sure am glad to hear from you. I'm glad someone else remembers that show (I forgot all about Park Overall). Thank you for the kind words about my niece, she really does amaze me. And yes, her guy is very lucky! And thanks for the kind words about my health, slowly but surely I'm getting there. I hope you're doing well too. :^)

      Delete
  7. Great news that you are already feeling so much better after both surgeries. They were pretty grueling and I am so glad you are healing. No more of this!
    I would check with your doctor at your appointment and make sure he is okay with the nicotine patches. I wouldn't see why not, but you never know. And ANYTHING is certainly worth the try. I am so sorry you are having such a lousy summer. I am still hopeful for fall. But don't fall prey to any more dental work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Merry, all good advice and much appreciated. You know what, I am going to talk to my doctor on Thurs about those nicotine patches, good idea. I hope your own vision is improving, and yes I'm hoping for some real recovery by Fall. (And no more dental work!)

      Delete
  8. I’m so glad to read that you are healing from your surgeries. Hope the trip to the surgeon goes smoothly & that you get a good report. He probably won’t have any idea about the patch being used for Covid, but good idea to check about using them while healing. I’m amazed that you cook while being so miserable. But how else will you eat, eh? Good for you!
    That is a darling pic of your niece. She is lovely. DL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much DL, I appreciate what you wrote here. And I do intend to bring up the patch for covid plan, just to see if he has any comment. He probably won't! Thanks for the kind words about my niece, and trust me, today was the first day in 2 weeks I tried to cook something. :^)

      Delete
  9. Your niece is an attractive young lady, it's not just you!😉 So happy to hear you're feeling a bit better. Hope you enjoyed your chili. Don't be surprised if you have issues with some foods or bathroom problems after the loss of your gallbladder. My hubby has never experienced problems but he is on meds for gerd, however, I've know lots of people who have those types of troubles. Not wishing any of that on you, but don't be alarmed if you experience some things. Although, judging from your love of spicy foods, you probably have a cast iron stomach.😁 Good luck with your check up and the patches. That will be absolutely fantastic if that works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobi, you are funny and sweet thank you so much. Well, at the risk of sharing too much I've been dealing with bathroom issues every day since I got home from the hospital, some days worse than others. There is a liquid toilet soap called "Tropic Breeze" (I found on Amazon) which has been a life saver. I don't have a csst iron stomach, but I'd love one! And thanks for the patch good wishes, my friend. :^)

      Delete
  10. I had to zoom through the beginning of your post to make sure you were sitting on the floor voluntarily as opposed to falling etc. Phew. Glad to hear you are feeling so much better at least from the shoulders down! That's 5/6th of your whole body so has to be good. It will be interesting to see what your doc says about the patches - of course surgeons are very focused on their aspect of medical care so may be unfamiliar!

    Cheers, Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Ceci and sorry for causing any alarm with my sitting on the floor. I just feel more comfortable down here, able to stretch my legs out. I'm really glad for these comments today, as I didn't even consider talking to my surgeon this Thursday about the nicotine patches. But that is a good idea and I'm looking forward to hearing what he has to say. He'll probably just shrug his shoulders, he just wants to cut!

      Delete
  11. Your niece is gorgeous! The sitting on the floor situation also raised my antenna but after your explaination I totally get it. I too suspect the surgeon will probably be noncommittal and shrug his shoulders but frankly, I would be all in for giving it a try. Hoping so much the long covid symptoms finally leave you but no matter what, we're all here with fingers crossed and wishing you all the best. You've been through enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Camille, I wish I could hug you. Gosh this was so kind, so sweet. Thank you very much. This positive feedback is just what the doctor ordered. :^)

      Delete
  12. I'm delighted that you're healing up so well from TWO surgeries! That's incredible. However, I hate that the Long Covid keeps hanging on. I'm glad that you're comfortable enough to share it with us in your posts; it gives us a real insight into the miseries of the condition. It's also important for you to vent and to feel our support and caring! I love chili! I didn't make any last winter though because John told me that the stuff out of the can was just as good. I was hurt. Note: My chili is WAY better than any canned product!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Margaret, your friendship has always meant so much to me. The longer I've known you, the more I wish we lived closer together. 🧡 As for John, you know I think the world of him but boy is he wrong about chili! I've had every canned stuff on the market, none compare to homemade!

      Delete
  13. Hey Dug! GREAT NEWS! Wayne and I are sooooooo happy to hear you have some positive results... (you must be a quick healer, fella!) Hope the chili is just what the doctor ordered and I admire the way you have weathered all this and still remain your sweet and thoughtful self. As the Brits say, "Keep calm and carry on."

    You've done that perfectly. Take care. - Karen in Pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen this was so sweet, thank you so much! Having a bit of a rough morning so your words really mean a lot right now. Very much appreciated, thanks again, I hope you're well. :^)

      Delete
    2. BTW, are you still watching "Family"? We're halfway through season three and LOVING IT! (The serendipitous thing is that our DAUGHTER Holly visited, and happened to mention that SHE started watching "Family" and it was the day after you posted!) Wow! Talk about syncronicity, right? - Karen in Pittsburgh

      Delete
    3. Karen, this was awesome to read! I haven't watched "Family" since the beginning of June, but I'm going back to it TODAY. Thank you so much for sharing this, I love it :^)

      Delete
  14. Hi Doug, love the photo of your sisters three pups. Where Mum goes they must go!😆Glad to read you are doing better from the neck down. Sorry about the Covid crap. It boggles my mind that the medical community can’t figure out a way to help people with long COVID. I am sorry you lost a couple friends due to it too. Sophia is an incredibly beautiful woman. Such a pleasure to watch her grow up through your blog. Hope your chilli was good. Take care!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin, your kind words always make my day and this was no exception, thank you my dear friend. Appreciate what you said about everything, especially Sophia. As for the chili, it was a bit bland (no spices) but I DID wind up freezing 2/3 of it and plan to "doctor" it with peppers and spices when I have it again. Sure hope things are good with you. ❤️

      Delete
    2. When I was rehabbing my right foot I did so many calf raises I got micro tears in my left Achilles tendon. The Doc gave me some nicotine patches to put on the bad spot. He said they increased blood flow.

      Delete
    3. Very interesting, thanks Ken...

      Delete
  15. Sophia is gorgeous! And what a nice-looking couple.

    I'm glad to hear that you're feeling better. What an ordeal you've been through! The low dose nicotine patches may or may not help but it probably won't hurt to try. I'm sorry that some people in your life are pulling away since you've developed long Covid. Those aren't true friends. If they're tired of hearing about your illness, they should just imagine trying to live with it! I have no patience with people like that. You deserve support that doesn't have time limits.

    Oh, and one last thing....are you sure you want to eat BEANS of all things after your recent gastro woes? Good luck! lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer, much appreciated what you said! And I have to admit you were right about those beans, the chili probably wasn't the best idea. I was just so tired of eating oatmeal, bananas and chicken spread for days on end! 😄

      Delete
  16. That is good news, that you are feeling some better from the surgery. Now, that darned LC needs to disappear! Fingers crossed the nicotine patch provides some relief.
    Some folks don't handle other's troubles well, especially if they feel unable to help. (And then there are some folks who lack empathy and focus solely on themselves). I have heard and use a saying, there are friends for a season, friends for a reason, and friends for life.
    Hope you enjoyed your red meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme, love the quote. Well I have learned I've got some very good friends too. And thanks so much for your remark about Sophia. 🙂

      Delete
  17. Sophia is a beautiful girl. I am glad you are feeling better Doug. I had not heard about nicotine patches and long covid, and am curious to hear about the results of your experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Debby, if I go that route with the patches I'll be sure to share it all here. 🙂

      Delete
  18. I have started looking at recliners after your last post. I'm surprised that you don't have one yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer, I just have a small apartment and I worry it would feel crowded in here. I still plan to look at smaller ones though.

      Delete
    2. A recliner note - neither my husband nor I are tall and we find smaller scale recliners MUCH more comfortable. A tall (6ft+ friend) was visiting and commented that it was so uncomfortable for him, the headrest hitting in an odd place, etc. All this to say that I now think recliners are something that needs to be "tried on for size".

      Ceci

      Delete
    3. Thank you Ceci! Well, I'm about 5'7, so this is good to know. 🙂

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, it means a lot to hear from you.