Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Medicare is here--and it's a small world after all

Here it is, my "Welcome to Medicare" letter from UPMC Health Plan and Medicare Advantage card.  Two weeks ago I spoke with Virginia, an independent Medicare agent and it couldn't have gone better.  

Virginia said I could come to her office, she could come to my home, or we could have a Google Chat (like Facetime) on our tablets.   

I elected to do the online meetup, though I still ran in the bathroom and shaved and combed my hair before we got things started. 👨

She asked me how old I was, I said I was turning 65 in 3 months.  She told me the first thing I had to do was go to Medicare.gov and enroll.  She could walk me thru it, but we wouldn't be able to continue until I got my card in the mail.

I said I applied for Social Security in January, which automatically enrolled me in Medicare and I already got my card a couple weeks ago; did she need the number?  She said "I have a feeling you're going to be my easiest client today."

I told her I had several Medicare Advantage plans already selected from 3 different insurance carriers:  Aetna, Highmark, UPMC.  She asked if I had any recent medical history and I said boy, do I.  Two operations in June, one on my liver's bile ducts and then a gallbladder removal.

She asked if I knew how much my out of pocket costs were, after insurance.  I told her $880.00 (including ambulance).  We determined that Medicare thru UPMC was closest to my current insurance plan--and my familiarity with UPMC hospitals made them the preferred choice, so I wound up going with UPMC for Life HMO Premier Rx.

After we did the electronic signatures and everything, Virginia asked about my ice pack (I was occasionally holding against the side of my face) and asked if I was suffering with a migraine or allergies.  I told her I had long covid, a chronic inflammatory condition.  She said "I'm so sorry!  My sister-in-law has long covid!"

That's when the conversation got interesting.  Her sister-in-law got LC in 2022 and was forced to take a leave of absence from her job as a school teacher.  After 2 years, she was hardly any better but was close to 60 so she retired early instead.  

Like myself, Virginia's sister-in-law gets hopeful days here and there, but the relapses just keep coming.  She doesn't see an end in sight.  I told Virginia it does feel hopeless at times but you have to believe it will end sooner or later.

One thing I appreciated, Virginia complained her glasses were bothering her nose and she had to get a new pair soon.  I said I did too, mine fit fine but were 8 years old.  After we hung up, she called me right back and told me to hold off on those glasses a little bit longer, I'd be getting a Flex Spend card soon I can use towards them.  Works for me.

Well, I almost didn't blog about this (it's boring, I know) I'm glad I did---when I was inspecting the Medicare card to see what to gray-out before sharing, I noticed it said "NO PCP SELECTED" on my card and I did give them my new PCP, Dr. Cole.  I just called and reported this, they said "Someone messed up, you'll get a new card in 10 days."   Not exactly a great start, UPMC!

Here's Dr. Cole's photo.  He's a handsome devil, but very smart and very kind.  I like him a lot.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Doug,
    Virginia sounds like a super Medicare agent; she's very knowledgeable and helpful. You're in good hands. Looks like it'll be smooth sailing despite the little goof ups along the way. Take care.
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve, I know you don't have to worry about things like Medicare as you're in Canada. Does anything change for you after you turn 65?

      Delete
    2. I don't know what changes there'll be regarding things medical, but I sure do look forward to paying less on public transit, admissions, etc.
      Steve

      Delete
    3. Haha Steve me too! I just called PATransit on Friday to see how to get my FreeRide card. 🙂

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, it means a lot to hear from you.