Looking back, I was wrestling with a lot of oral inflammation and only eating very bland things when my gallbladder ruptured 2 weeks later on June 7. That week in the hospital, after the two surgeries and on a liquid diet, I had to keep asking for low sodium broths because my covid-related BMS (burning mouth syndrome) was making me hypersensitive to any spices or salt.
A week or so after I returned home on June 20, the symptoms began to let up. And when my friend Kim went with me to Mercy Hospital for a post surgery follow-up on June 25, my covid symptoms had greatly reduced. I confided to Kim I was feeling pretty optimistic. I posted a photo of us on my blog, and my sister told me I looked like my old self.
Of course, the long covid symptoms returned that weekend. They lasted a week, winked out a couple days (allowing me to meet up with some friends from the senior center for lunch, my first outing in 8 months) then returned again on July 17.
These last couple weeks have been tough. Lots of inflammation in the eyes, burning in the left side of head and mouth, and that heavy, strange smell of diesel fuel and decayed flowers.
For the past year, I've been avoiding all videos and articles pertaining to long covid. But these past couple weeks left me wondering if there's any kind of answers yet. Nope. Medical experts claim the US has 10 million documented cases, the UK has 2 million. They said the real numbers are probably double that. They also claim LC comes with 300 different symptoms and remissions are common, giving many sufferers false hope.
Most sufferers remain in isolation, and say they've lost their jobs, family, friends. At least I can't lose my social security. Still, I read my blogger friends weekly adventures and wonder when I'll be back out there again.
My senior center has a restaurant outing on August 12; I asked to be included, fingers crossed...
When I was first hit with this in early 2024, I had a busy calendar and hated the thought of canceling anything, especially a Titanic exhibit. I never dreamed I'd still be missing out on things 2 1/2 years later.
For now at least, I'm blessed to still have people in my life I enjoy spending time with on the phone. My friend Diana in West Virginia, my sister Shawn, my friend Pen who I've known since grade school, my dear friend Kim (who I refer to as Kimba, she's a two-time cancer survivor and white lion). They've all spent hours with me on the phone, and I would be lost without them.
To the readers out there who read my posts and leave comments, thank you. You really matter too. I feel bad, I came in here to do some reading on my tablet and the next thing you know... I need to wrap this up, my bottom is numb. Until next time. 😌

I still hold hope, Doug. I know you can't compare cases, I know three people locally dealing with LC and each of them is different too. I just remember the depths of misery with my son in-law and how he is doing so much better. Still not back to pre-covid but so much better. I keep wishing and hoping for you. It's miserable and frustrating and not fair. And I wish the magic wand to erase it all could be found. (virtual hugs).
ReplyDeleteMy son in-law contracted covid right after dental work. I still wonder if there is a correlation between dental work and long covid.
Thank you Miss Merry, I've thought of your son-in-law often thru this. And I appreciate those virtual hugs. A lot of people wonder about the dental correlation, btw. I went into remission last summer and was absolutely great for 3 months. Went to the dentist twice. My LC returned FULL after 2 injections of Novocaine. That was Sept 11, almost a year ago.
DeleteSo sorry to hear you're doing poorly this weekend. It's maddening that this LC keeps on coming back. My fingers are crossed too that you'll be well enough to join your friends on their outing August 12. My prayers are with you, Doug.
ReplyDeleteSteve from Toronto
Thank you Steve, and I've enjoyed our email exchanges. You're a kind friend and a good guy. 🙂
DeleteI'm sorry you continue to have to deal with long Covid. I hope it will improve as time goes on. I like reading your blog and I'm glad I found you!
ReplyDeleteJennifer, thanks so much. And I am very glad to have found you too, I'm a big fan of your blog. 🙂
DeleteDug, I also like the ability to go back on my blog and see what was happening on the same day a year or more in the past. It's interesting. I've thought of getting books made from my blogs to perserve the years, but I've blogged for so long I don't think I could afford to do that.
ReplyDeleteAs for your long Covid, I'm sorry the nicotine patch didn't work out. I also wonder if different things could work for different cases as so many have different symptoms. It almost leaves you to your own devices to see what works for you. And I too hope you get to go with your friends August 12... (gosh, that's only 11 days away). Fingers and toes crossed and sending good vibes!!
Thanks very much Rian, I'm very glad we're friends. I need to take a look back at the older stuff on your blog sometime, I wonder how long we've known one another? As for the LC, I am disappointed in the patch. I had high hopes for that. And thank you for those good vibes for Aug 12, I appreciate them! 👍
DeleteYours is one of the blogs I look for first. Keep writing!😊
ReplyDeleteMarty, what a kind thing to say. My gosh, thank you.
DeleteI do hate this for you; I want a rich and active life for you, Doug. I remember when you decided to get out, join the Senior Center and make socializing a priority. Then LC hit, so unfair and unwelcome. I too look back on my posts; some (many?) of them in certain years are very painful to read. The photos are also interesting. I used to be much younger!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Margaret, my gosh I almost forgot how long I've known you. That was a few years ago! As for your own photos and looking younger, I know we're our own worst critics but I think you look great! :^)
DeleteThat's very kind of you to say, Doug. These family issues are aging me though. :(
DeleteOh Margaret, I am sorry... I was wondering about you today.
DeleteIt’s hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel, but I know it’s there for you Doug.😓 Keep moving forward and embrace the days when you do feel good and do something that brings you joy. 🥰🫶🏻
ReplyDeleteThanks Anon, very much appreciated. 🙂
DeleteAnon was me Doug! I forgot to sign off! Kimba🌻
DeleteOh! Awesome, thanks Kimba!! 🙂
DeleteAt this point, I barely know what to say to you. It's really great you can stay positive (I honestly don't know how you do, I'd be crying and whining and maybe even screaming!) If only we had an administration that looked for solutions instead of demonizing researchers and medical professionals, perhaps we could put Covid and it's long Covid stepchild behind us and have healthy citizens. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the universe will see fit to allow you to make your outing and that you soon get some permanent relief!
ReplyDeleteBobi, well said (like always) and you are very sweet. I'm very lucky I know you, thank you. PS I do my share of whining, but I prefer to call it grumbling. I'm gonna get thru this, thanks again my friend. 🙂🤎
DeleteI’ve said it before but it’s worth repeating: we’re all here for you, even if “here” is 12,000 miles away - well, it is for one of us.
ReplyDeleteThank you Peter, I'm sure this was a bore to read. Just wrestle with a lot of gloomy feelings sometimes.
Delete