Thursday, June 4, 2015

Once upon a time, I had this spaceship… Chapter 1 of the Amazing Argo!


In case you didn’t already know, as a kid I was about as nerdy as they come.  I loved spaceships and monsters, and devoured every comic book I could get my hands on.  I also tended to do a bit of doodling, and used to draw this comic book called “The Amazing Argo”.

The Argo was a spaceship that I kept in orbit above the Earth, which no one knew existed besides myself and my sister Shawn (who was always along for the ride—even though I had to drag her along).  Anyway, a few months back I was lucky to happen upon some of those drawings so I thought I’d share ‘em here for posterity!

DISCLAIMERS GALORE:  These scans aren’t the best, the artwork has faded a bit & the pages are brittle.  (And yes, the baddie with the green hair was a villainess from DC comics, she was in my goofy-ass stories for many years.)  These were drawn over a period of time in the early 80s, mostly for fun and my sister’s amusement.  And finally, I never intended to share ‘em with anyone, so this could get embarrassing.  I never claimed to be an artist, though I dreamt about it enough!

I plan to share these pages in a series of posts, so I hope you’re ready—let the adventures begin!   (Click on each image to enlarge)

Chapter One:  The Sky is a Circle (and I have no idea where I came up with that title)

a1

a2

a3

a4

a5

a6

a7

Next time: The adventure continues with the naughty Nervosa, as Shawn says “Stop the Ride, I want to get off!”   See ya then!

planets

2 comments:

  1. I am sitting here w/tears in my eyes, both funny and nostalgic, hoping you get 1000 people look at and read your Argo storyboards. My God this was so creative, talented, "and please, call me Bunny" so stinking funny. I can't believe how many of these things and tons of others, that you drew and wrote just for entertaining yourself or me, for no other reason than to use your imagination. The writing is nonstop funny (not even counting the amazing drawing - the faces of the villains as they have their own meltdowns!) I'll quote Mom here "God is going to punish you someday for not using your talent".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Shawn! Well, I always thought you were WAY too generous with my so-called stories and junk, but it was your appreciation of everything that kept me going, so thank you again. I wish I'd saved more of it now! :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.