Friday, October 2, 2020

Shopping at Etsy.com: A whole lot of shaking, a whole lot of Zen going on

Okay, be honest with me:  what do you think of this glass art piece?  Last August, I wrote on here about Regan, an artist who works with molten glass and is very into “zen”.  She creates these wall hangings based on your favorite color and what vibes she gets from you.

I had seen a green piece she’d made, admired it’s modern look and tranquil nature.  I talked to her briefly, said I’d be in touch.  Shortly after, some personal issues arose and I held off commissioning one until I was in better spirits.

The green one I saw that intrigued me

Anyway, I never forgot it and several weeks ago, decided it was time.  I contacted Regan, asked if she remembered me (she said she did) and after a brief chat, told her I’d like to order one of these puppies in red.

Is it just me or does mine (at the top) seem unusually “busy”?  Is that the vibe she picked up from me?  Kind of… wigged out & stuff?

 

ME:  Hi Regan, this is Doug from Pittsburgh and I wanted to let you know my art piece arrived today.

HER:  AND YOU ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!  RIGHT DOUG??

ME:  Haha… well, it’s pretty flamboyant.   

HER:  AND YOU HATE IT.

ME:  No, not at all.  I was just—are you alright?

HER:  Crying face

ME:   Regan I like it, honest! 

HER:  DO YOU REALLY DOUG?  DO YOU?

ME:  Yes, yes—I promise!

HER:  WHEW!  THAT’S A RELIEF, I KNEW YOU’D LOVE IT!!

ME:  Eye rolling smile


What the heck just happened?  Anyway it is a bit wilder than I wanted, but I take responsibility for that.  I should’ve told her upfront I wanted something a little more subdued… or at least taken my anxiety medication before speaking to her!  Oh well, I still like it.  It’s well made, surprisingly heavy & different.  I plan to hang it in the corner of my dining room for a little “pop” in there.

I just hope it doesn’t over-excite my new glass-top dining table, the last thing I need is another dining table going to pieces…

 

20 comments:

  1. In my humble opion (it's not a telegram and I'm not paying by the word so I don't use acronyms), the inner square is a calm and tranquil representation of yourself. And you're surrounded by the world's sea of drama and vibrant activity. I like it, Doug and I do see it as a colourful original art asset to your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, the check is in the mail! What a very kind response, thank you I really liked your interpretation!

      Delete
  2. It's very nice. She seems to like placing a square in the middle. When you commission art, you never know what you're going to get. I tend to buy ready made pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, I was hoping to hear from you as I know you have art pieces of your own (and I like your taste). I do like it, aside from that center square it's certainly an original.

      Delete
  3. It seems like a person with many passions, but also centered. The solid middle tells me that she saw you as well put together, with many branches of interests. You are rooted AND growing in many different directions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you are generous & awesome; thanks so much for your interpretation of it :)

      Delete
  4. I laughed out loud at how she worked you. Tears have destroyed the most determined man. I did like the green one better but her version of you does show a man with many interests who is not afraid to forge ahead, unless faced with tears:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Patti, I DO feel a little played! But I liked your analysis too, thanks my friend! :)

      Delete
  5. Well for one thing, green is a more serene color than red; and then also, your new one does seem a little more ... er, lively and dynamic. But you know what? I like 'em and think they go well together. You going to buy a third one?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Tom--well I don't own the green one (that's just the sample one she had). I DID tell her I wanted it in red, I just wasn't expecting all the "lightning bolts" :) But I think I'm just going to stick with the one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it, like them both, but it isn't something I would want to see all the time. I'd have to hang it in a room I don't use much and I don't have a room like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks River, and yep I know just what you mean. I live in an apartment where all my rooms are connected, I'm going to have to see it all the time & not sure how I feel about that!

      Delete
  8. I know what you mean when you say it seems "busy." I like it too, but the green was is way more serene and calming. Considering our world today, it feels like it's a good representation of everything going on. I'd keep it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, as always thanks very much. If I can't have serene moments from glass artwork, I'll get them thru your Sunday writings. :)

      Delete
  9. I think its great. The pattern itself is unique Doug in ur starship i.e. you're at the core of hyperspace surrounded by interstellar quantum singularities, pick the wrong one and you'll never find the right spiral arm back to the milkyway galaxy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spacer... you're brilliant! I mean it, thanks sir :)

      Delete
  10. I’ll have to agree with you that the green one is more peaceful and zen like. However, I can see she must think you radiate happiness and interest and kindness. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kay, I always love your feedback!

      Delete
  11. I prefer yours. It's interesting the way all the lines on it come from the square in the middle, on the green one they are just randomly floating around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way of looking at it, thanks Cool Joe!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.