Saturday, October 31, 2020

Goodbye Ronni, you are loved and will be missed


I got on my computer this morning to check my email and a couple other things, logged off to make some breakfast, then logged back on at 10am to visit “Time Goes By”. 

For as long as I can remember, Ronni Bennett (the owner of TGB, a blog about growing old) posts “Interesting Stuff” on Saturday mornings, an assortment of videos and news articles she gathered during the week.

I was surprised to see no ‘Interesting Stuff’ when I went to her site just now, just a sad note from one of her followers that Ronni died overnight.  I’m shocked.  I shouldn’t be, all of her followers (she has hundreds) knew this was coming; she’s been dealing with pancreatic cancer & COPD for a couple years now.  But she just posted an ‘Alex & Ronni’ video yesterday, a bi-weekly conversation between herself & her ex-husband Alex on politics, aging, etc.  Also, I knew she was very excited about the upcoming presidential election, she despised Trump (as any left-minded person would) and half-joked to her readers fairly regularly she wasn’t going anywhere until she saw the results of that election.

Oh Ronni, it was just a couple more days away.

While I didn’t know her personally, I did talk to her briefly, once.  Back in March of this year, I was on my own blog one morning and saw something strange; the Visitor Counter in the right sidebar was clicking upwards as I watched.  When I looked at my Blogger Stats, I’d gotten over 100 visits just that morning.  What the heck was going on?  My little blog rarely got more than 8-10 visits a day.

It wasn’t until later when I visited ‘Time Goes By’, and saw Ronni’s piece about getting more emotional in old age, that I discovered she had referenced me—and my blog!  (You can see it in the photo at top.)  I sent her a thank you for the acknowledgement, and she responded I was very welcome, she always enjoyed my comments on TGB and she found my own blog funny and interesting. 

Coming from Ronni Bennett, that meant a lot.  From her work in radio in the 1960s, meeting people like John Lennon & Yoko Ono, to producing the Dick Cavett Show & Barbara Walters specials in the 1970s-80s, she had quite the life & career.  I’m just glad I got to know a little part of that, and be known by her as well. 

24 comments:

  1. I've been reading her blog too, although I've never been brave enough to comment. (maybe once?) She seemed like she was failing but not enough to die that suddenly. I'm shocked as well. However, it's certainly not a bad way to go. Hoping that she would be pleased by the election results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, yes I thought the same (she wasn't that 'far gone' yet). I also think if she had chosen to take her prescribed 'drink', she would've waited a couple more days. I am thinking her passing was a natural one, sadly. Anyway, nice to know you followed her too.

      Delete
  2. Aww Doug, my heart is literally hurting. It is so hard to believe even though we have known just how sick she was, we just kept believing she could beat this. She was blogging's RBG. I followed her for about 8 years while I rarely commented I never missed her blog. If the election goes wrong, then I am glad she was spared. If it goes well, then I can't help but feel she will get a front row seat.
    Still trying to process but thank you for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, so nicely said--thank you for sharing that here. I knew you were a fan of hers, as I always saw 'Time Goes By' in your blogroll of blogs you read. But wow, 8 years. I only followed her a couple of years, so I can't know the loss you must be feeling. I sure am sorry for her passing, that's for sure :(

      Delete
  3. Oh gosh... I didn't know of her blog, but her name is familiar. That's so sad. I've lost blogging friends too. Somehow, you just think they'll always be there. I'm so glad you were able to touch each other's lives for a brief time. It's something to hold dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay! I'm surprised you didn't know her, given your own large blogging family :) I think you would've liked her very much though. You're both kind but unafraid to speak the truth. :)

      Delete
  4. She will be missed. Nice of you to post, and to appreciate her influence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Tom, I just saw your own kind comment on her site. It's nice to know TGB will continue, but I'll very much miss Ronni's voice.

      Delete
  5. I’ve known Ronni for 12 years – she was my best blogging friend. The A.M. and I visited and stayed with her a couple of times, and she didn’t want us to leave (I’m sure she’d have gotten sick of us).
    Bye Ronni, it was good to know you.
    Peter the MM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very glad to hear from you Peter, I know you & Ronni were very close... I see someone has taken over things on TGB, will you still be doing your Sunday Music page there?

      Delete
  6. I don’t know what’s happening with the blog. I had columns completed that would last up to about Christmas, but they might just be blowing in the wind.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first thing I noticed on my blog list this morning was Ronnie's year dates of her birth and death. Instantly felt the sinking sense of loss in the pit of my stomach. On her last Alex and Ronnie show, I noticed her face looked very thin. Still had the lovely clear and intelligent eyes but with a hint of sadness. I join you Doug, in saluting a brave lady who was so generous in sharing this journey we all travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sure was nicely said Florence, thanks very much for sharing that here.

      Delete
  8. I am still crying over the loss of Ronni, and your post here just made me cry harder. It is the way I get from sadness to joy: just letting the tears fly, and sometimes with a little vocal accompaniment. I am so glad I have found YOU, Doug, as your posts give me great pleasure and knowing you is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan... this was so nice--thank you. I just told my sister I was going to take this one blog down as I didn't want anyone to think I was exploiting Ronni's passing. So your very kind comment here was appreciated. I sure am sorry it's been hard on you, but you've certainly made ME feel better. Thanks again.

      Delete
  9. So sorry about the loss of your friend. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, I can't really say she was a friend, she didnt know me, but I admired her greatly.

      Delete
  10. Dug, don't take this one down. I doubt I am the only one who enjoys your blog but is too shy (?) to comment. Ronni had a way of connecting with people. Keep posting. Your blog is interesting.
    Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Genie, you just made my day. Thanks very much, I'll leave it up. And yes, you sure got that right about Ronni. Thanks again :)

      Delete
  11. I remember reading a post or three of Ronnie's then didn't for a long while and now she's gone, just like that. I didn't read enough to get to "know" her, so I won't miss her, as so many will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, River... well, I saw her blog many 10-11 years ago but wasn't that interested at the time. Then a couple years ago when I began looking for older bloggers... just grew to really care about her (and many of her followers).

      Delete
  12. Every once in awhile as blogs that I read go dark, I reach out and search for new ones to read which is how I found your blog recently. It's too bad I didn't find "Time Goes By" because it seems like one I would have enjoyed.

    On another note, I am thankful that at least you and others know what happened and why the blog won't continue. So many of the blogs I have in my reading list have gone silent with nary a word as to why and I always fear the worst. Without knowledge, I just keep them attached hoping that someday I might find out the answer or they will start posting again.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your input Ed--like you, I enjoy other blogs too (and I need to look at yours a little more closely), But I've also seen my share of blogs go dark, after a year or so I move them off my Reading List but still hold onto them waiting for a comeback. Well, if you're 55 or older I think you would've liked 'Time Goes By'. It certainly grew on me. One of her closer friends was 'given the reins' and may keep it going... you might still want to check it out sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.