Tuesday, September 6, 2022

A real wooden seat, a fake wooden floor—and two more residents out the front door

Yesterday morning, Josh the maintenance guy knocked on my door, holding two toilet seats.  He said “You were supposed to get one of these when they replaced the base of your toilet, can I come in?”

What a nice surprise.  I’d been meaning to replace the seat for over a month now, the left hinge was broken.  Josh had a plastic seat like the one I already had, and a larger wooden seat.  I opted for the wooden one. 

While he was installing it, I asked “Did you see the moving trucks here this Labor Day weekend?  It looked like someone was moving in, and two were moving out.  I think the ones going were Don on 5, and Mary on 1.”  Josh said “I don’t know names, I go by apartment numbers—do you mean #502 and #104?”

Er… yes, I guess so. 

He said “Both of their leases ended this month, Steiner told them they were done.  But they were told months in advance.”  My face got hot.  I said “That just happened to Rob—I mean the guy in 405 a couple weeks ago.  And now two more get the boot?  Man, that makes me nervous.”

Josh said “You have nothing to worry about, they like you—why do you think I’m here installing a new toilet seat?”   I said “Do you know why they were forced to move?” 

He said “Well… the guy on 5 was some type of hoarder.  A year ago when we were doing our yearly walk-thru, his bedroom had McDonald’s bags piled to the ceiling in one corner.  In another corner he had pizza boxes stacked to the ceiling.  I mean, his trash was sorted but it was still a lot of trash.  They gave him 30 days to clean it out, he did.  But this past April, the trash was back.”

I shook my head in disbelief.  (Disbelief someone would hoard literal garbage, and that Josh was even telling me.)  I asked “What about Mary on 1?”  Josh said “She cost the building real money.  Last year they had to repair the plumbing under her bathroom floor, she clogged it with those toilet wipes, those things don’t disintegrate.  She was warned not to flush them anymore, they sent a notice to all the tenants.” 

Yep, I said I remembered getting one.

Josh said “In May we had to contract professional plumbers, she flooded hers and her neighbor’s apartment when she backed up the main pipe on the bottom floor.  She was flushing stuff like chicken bones too.  They told her they wouldn’t be renewing her lease come September.”

I said I felt bad for both of them, and hoped they learned something.  I asked Josh if they found a new tenant for the empty unit on my floor yet.  He said not yet, they just completed replacing the flooring.  Did I know they’re doing that now?   

When a unit becomes available, they’re removing any carpeting, and covering the entire floor—kitchen and bathroom included—with wood laminate.

Here’s my own flooring—I have carpeting in the living room & bedroom, wood parquet in the dining room & linoleum tile in the kitchen and bathroom.

He said “Do you want to see the empty unit down the hall?”  DO I!  I yawned and said okay, sure… why not. 

I asked him if I could get a photo to send to my friend who’s looking for a new place.   (I don’t have a friend looking for a new place… but I do have a blog!)

I wanted to take more pics, but didn’t want to push my luck.  This flooring is throughout the entire apartment—livingroom, bedroom, kitchen, dining room.  Personally I don’t like it, but they removed all the wallplates to paint two walls a robin’s egg blue, which sounds nice.

I told Josh I’ll stick with my old-school flooring, thank you very much.  He said “This is for new tenants only… you should be glad you got a new toilet seat.”

 

31 comments:

  1. Morning Doug, are yearly walk thru’s common in apartments? When Chuck and I lived in military housing we had them, I didn’t realize others had them.
    I don’t understand why people hoard garbage either. Maybe they feel it will be useful some day???
    I think you made the right choice in toilet seat!😆
    Enjoy your week.❤️
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Robin--yes, management does a very quick walkthru once a year when they change the furnace filters and test the smoke alarms. And you're exactly right about poor Don and his hoarding. I was just writing my sister that I'm sure he saw those bags & boxes as more than just trash. I sure hope he conquers that mindset! And haha, thank you for the toilet seat feedback! Hope you & Chuck are both well, Peachy Pal :^)

      Delete
    2. We are great Doug!❤️
      Robin

      Delete
  2. Good job on getting the scoop out of Josh! I've found that if you're nice to people and treat them with respect (especially service workers), you can often get lots of information from them that higher-ups are loath to share. Glad they weeded out the hoarder, they don't belong in apartment buildings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobi, thanks for your comment. I did feel kind of guilty sharing this, but at the same time I found it intriguing. At least both of these tenants were younger, they just need to get their heads on straight. And I agree about being nice to everyone, our maintenance people here are terrific. :)

      Delete
  3. Okay, I laughed out loud at the comment that you were lucky to get a new toilet seat. Funny too, that I just received my order of toilet seats and will be replacing them this week. (wooden too) I wish I had a Josh. :)
    It's truly a shame that the other tenants were evicted but it sounds like they may need to be somewhere with some assistance.
    The bonus with the new laminates and vinyl planking is they are often water resistant. I can understand why the landlord would go with that option.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Maebeme--and I was lucky to get that toilet seat, at the hardware store they're $30.00! (Really though, it was too nice on their part.) And you're right about that new flooring, it does look waterproof. I just like the various ones in my place much better, it feels more like a home. :^)

      Delete
  4. You remind me that I should probably replace some toilet seats. I can do it myself but perhaps if I whine to John? ;) That's sad about the other tenants and their issues. Did they seem nice? I like that flooring but prefer carpet in my bedroom because it's so much softer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret I feel bad about them too, but at least they weren't older if you know what I mean. Both of them were in their 30s, they didn't really interact with anyone else here (that I saw). I know Mary complained a lot about living here, so she was asking for it. And yes you've got your own Josh--John! :^)

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the new toilet seat! They must like you, Dug. Your flooring looks nice, but I do like the flooring they put in the new place too. It looks like it has a grey-ish cast - which would look nice with blue walls. Grey-ish is apparently popular these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rian, and you're right about the new flooring having a grayish cast. The light blue accent walls (not painted yet) will set it off nicely. I hope we get a woman in there, they decorate better than men. :^)

      Delete
  6. Interesting how damaging the plumbing can get you kicked out. They certainly had warnings far enough in advance. The collection of trash could attract roaches and apartment complexes work so hard to spray and get rid of bugs. I'd vote for a durable wooden seat too, but watch out for splinters! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, the wooden toilet seat was definitely the way to go. I wasn't even sure they made these anymore! As for those two tenants, I do feel bad for both of them but they did get prior warnings. At least they're not older folk, I don't want to sound prejudiced but younger people can pick up and move on easier.

      Delete
  7. They don't do a walk-through here, but we have a lot of turnovers for a mere 26 units.
    We can't even have cats here because some tenant once had a ferret and the place stunk to high heaven when they moved out. People are not supposed to smoke on the premises either, but... congrats on that nice toilet seat, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing that DJan, my last apartment in the city had 26 units too! And we never had walkthroughs either. I think it's because this place is 100 units and the odds for bad things occurring seem to be much higher. (I'm going to have to find out about the smoking, as there are always 2-3 people standing behind the building smoking.). We do have plenty of cats though! 🙂🐈

      Delete
  8. At first I was really feeling badly for the evicted folks but they really were warned and you can't really keep garbage in your home nor plug up the toilets so that they affect other apartments. Good grief, chicken bones?? Not fair to everyone else plus expensive for the owners.
    I too got a giggle at Josh saying "you should be glad you got a new toilet seat."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti and it's good to hear from you. I didn't think I would after the news we got yesterday about your computer. Hope things are progressing there, as a fellow antique computer owner I know just how you feel! As for the booted residents, I also felt bad but they did get warnings. Plus they're younger, so hopefully their moving wasn't difficult. And yeah! Chicken bones!

      Delete
  9. You are lucky that your building management is on their toes, Doug. Tenants that affect or potentially affect the health and safety of the building should not have their leases renewed. Funny that Josh knows folk by their apartment numbers but not their names. I bet you are the exception for him. I lived many years in a highrise apartment and never had a walk through check. Even when I left. The building was certainly not as well cared for as your's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Florence. It's funny, I know in your working days you lived in a high-rise but it's so hard to see given your wonderful blog of living among nature. Anyway, interesting that you never had to deal with apartment walkthroughs. It's only once a year here, sometimes twice. But it's an old building too, built in 1949. Things are always in need of repair! 🙂

      Delete
  10. So sad when people have to get moved out because of troubles they caused, instead of learning not to. But some people just don't or can't learn and so it goes on.
    The new flooring looks like many around here in houses I look at on real estate sites, I don't like the greyness of it. when it is paired with grey cabinets and grey walls, even different shades, it all just looks so dull.
    Our buildings, where I currently live were built in the early 1950s and there is always a plumbing or electrician van coming or going from some of the units.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Some people just can't learn"--River, very true. I hope these two do! And I agree with you about that flooring, dull is the perfect word.

      Delete
  11. I like the hybrid look, too. I have carpet, wooden flooring and vinyl tiles. It works very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Errrr...what IS that last picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--just a Native American dancing man. For some reason, it reminded me of a toilet lid :^)

      Delete
  13. That’s pretty darn irresponsible of those tenants to accumulate garbage like that… and chicken bones in the toilet? That’s crazy! sigh… I do hope they learned their lesson. It’s nice to know management likes you so much and want to keep you happy. 😃 Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I don't think the first tenant saw his garbage as garbage; know what I mean? As for the chicken bones, that is crazy and awful! As for management liking me, I just hope they don't see this blog 😉

      Delete
  14. Besides, I like the name of your apartment building. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it! It's me, Kay. I forgot and was using my iPad. Every time I use my iPad or iPhone to comment, it lists me as Anonymous. Sheesh!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kay! Omigosh I should've picked up on that. 🙂

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.