Saturday, July 15, 2023

A friend in need is a friend indeed, and I finally get what that means

 

I never understood the phrase ‘A friend in need is a friend indeed’; what were they trying to say?  That a needy friend is a real friend?  We all want real friends in our lives, but do they have to be needy ones?

After doing some research, it turns out the phrase, versed in a bit of Old English means a friend that comes around in times of need (yours not theirs) is a real one, duh.  And I am feeling very fortunate, as I do have one like that, my dear friend Susie.

I wrote about her before, she accompanied me to my colonoscopy this past January.  She’s loud, boisterous with a heart of gold.  And thanks to her, I am a little less sick.

Last Saturday I awoke with a tickle in my throat--by evening I was coughing nonstop.  This went on all day Sunday, Monday… I was getting no sleep.

(My last blog, about the average guy and social security?  I got out of bed Monday night and started that at 1:30am, hoping it would help me doze off… nope, I wound up working on it thru the night and posted it Tuesday morning.) 

Finally, on Wednesday I called my friend Susie and asked if I could get some advice.  She said “Omigod, what’s wrong with your voice??”  I told her I’d been dealing with a bad cough since Saturday, and should I consider going to the ER or find an Urgent Care. 

She said she heard something was going around, and witnessed someone with a pretty deep cough just yesterday.  She asked if I was taking anything, I said I was drinking Chamomile tea with clover honey and sucking on YumEarth (organic) lemon drops.

Susie said “Who told ya to do that, Martha Stewart?!  Dougie, I gotta call Sears about my fridge warranty before 5pm—can I call you back with a list of stuff you should get from the drugstore?”   I said yes please and hung up.

Thirty minutes later, someone was buzzing me outside.  I went downstairs, and my friend Susie was there, holding two bags (with the items seen at the top of this post). 

When I thanked her and asked her to wait so I could run upstairs and fetch my wallet, she said “I DON’T WANT YOUR MONEY!!”  I said I couldn’t just take this stuff for free, and she said “OH TRUST ME, YOU’LL PAY FOR IT SOONER OR LATER!”

Three days later and here I am, still with a deep chest cough.  I may still see a doctor if things aren’t better by Monday, but thanks to Susie, the second half of the week has been a lot better than the first.  She’s a friend indeed.

34 comments:

  1. Susie was a friend in 'deed'. She stepped right in there and did what needed doing. A good deed. I have no doubt that you will pay for it, one way or the other. I love people like your friend Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear you're on the mend. I think we all need friends like Susie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie is the BEST friend! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dug, use that Vicks Vapor rub under your feet at night (then socks) - believe it or not, it helps stop the coughing. Read it in People's Pharmacy a long time ago, and it does help (and can't hurt to try). Hope you're feeling better soon. And yes, Susie is definitely a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian I will do that, thanks for the suggestion! (I do like that Vicks a lot.)

      Delete
  5. When it comes to friends, Susie is a treasure. My MD says there are lots of weird things going around now. Susie provided all the things you need to treat a bad cold. I am sure you would do the same for her. Friends always help friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, and you're right she's a treasure. I just need to find a way to properly thank Susie back.

      Delete
  6. We all need good friends like Susie. Good for her to step in, step up, and take care of you.

    As for going to the doctor, it may not happen because they don't want to have you coughing in their office. When I had a bad cough last December, my doctor did a video visit and then sent me to an urgent care for testing. Turned out hubby and I both as Influenza A, something we get vaccinated for and had never had before in my 70 years of life! Sometimes you just have to give in and admit you are sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dkzody, thank you for sharing--I'm really wondering what I should do in regards to the coughing, after reading this I think I'll call ahead and see if I can do a video-chat or something first. Much appreciated!

      Delete
  7. I think you and Susie are both true friends because you called her for advice in the first place. (I'm simply awful at reaching out.) Her accompaniment for your colonoscopy was also a caring act. Sure hope you cough improves soon, Doug. You may end up needing an antibiotic prescription. :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Florence, and if you lived closer and I knew your number, I might've called YOU. :^) I'm hoping I don't need an antibiotic, I guess we'll see!

      Delete
  8. Aww…Susie is a good friend! I haven’t used NyQuil (The nighttime sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever so you can rest medicine!) in several years, but it used to be strong enough to double as a fine Romulan Ale! Hope you feel better soon. :)
    -Jase

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jase, you are too funny--I laid in bed last night trying to remember that Nyquil jingle! Love the Romulan ale comparison too, I believe it! Thanks my friend :^)

      Delete
  9. What a friend you’ve got there.
    I hope this isn’t one of those viruses that travel over the internet and infect others (like me, for instance).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha 😄 🤣 Peter it's the good old fashioned kind, not to worry...

      Delete
  10. I'm just getting over a god awful cold that started in my sinuses and ended in my chest, so I have much sympathy. Your friend Susie did a good deed for you, indeed.
    Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susie is a friend I would love to have. How sweet of her! Drink lots of water, take the Nyquil to sleep, and take the Covid test. Good luck. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, I wish we lived closer! And I did take the test, I was negative 🙂👍

      Delete
  12. I've heard that after several years of masking up for covid people were getting hit harder with colds and flu and I'm guessing this is the case with you. If you don't have a fever then you don't have flu but bronchitis is a possibility. Take care and see a doctor or urgent care if you still have this longer than two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you River, I appreciate the advice. 🙂

      Delete
  13. Doug, thank goodness for Susie! I have heard of a number of people being sick with a couple different ailments lately. A neighbour had a bad cough, took a good two weeks to leave. I love Rian’s advice about the Vicks and the socks. When I was a kid you put Vicks on your throat then wrapped your throat in socks! I hope you are feeling better soon.❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin, I wonder if something really is going around? (I get colds & flu, but never a cough; never.) I'm hoping mine turns out like your neighbor. And I liked Rian's idea too, but I'm too nervous to try it! But I do love the Vicks and I HAVE been putting it on my chest & neck the last 3 nights. It's great stuff. ::^)

      Delete
  14. We all need Susies in our lives! What a wonderful and caring friend she is to bring you those goodies. It sounds like they helped with the symptoms but not the cause? I would say that a trip to the doc is warranted in case you need an antibiotic. Get well soon, Doug!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret! I am slowly but surely getting there..🙂

      Delete
  15. Ok, this KANSAS friend, says to go to your Urgent Care or doc. Glad you took the COVID test. I had Type A flu when I thought it could be COVID. You don't want to spread what you have: i.e. answering the door without a MASK! Wear a MASK and go to the doc or Urgent Care with your list of dates and timing of symptoms. I betting my Kansas coins you have a flu, and your list of stuff that wonderful Susie brought won't fix it. Good Luck, and aren't you lucky I'm not there squawking at you through MY MASK!? Linda in Kansas, where the flu and the buffalo roam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! Well, I very much doubt it was the flu, it started 10 days ago and felt like a bad cold. I'm over all of the symptoms except for the deep chest cough, which is sloooooooooowly getting better and I'm going to ride out. I think I'm past infecting anybody!

      Delete
  16. I hope you're recovering well by now. But I would listen to Linda in Kansas. She's an awesome nurse. I'm so happy for you that you've got friends in need right in the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, I do listen to Linda! As for my friend Susie who got me the meds, she doesn't live here. She just knows where I live. 🙂

      Delete
    2. You are very lucky to have a friend who is so caring.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.