Saturday, July 8, 2023

The Redemption of Christopher Columbus, oh what might’ve been

A couple weeks ago, I was sailing around the Library and happened upon a wonderful book titled Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus by Orson Scott Card, and I thought I’d share my discovery with the civilized world! 

What’s that?  The book’s been known for decades already as it was published in 1997?  Doesn’t matter—let history show that I discovered it.  No one would’ve known of it’s existence until I came along & wrote about it here, aside from a couple hundred thousand science fiction readers, but what do they know? 

They’re not like us, they don’t count.  In fact, let’s enslave those damn nerds and ship them off to Parts Unknown! 

Okay you can see where I’m going here, and I’m not alone in my feelings about the man who is responsible for the extinction of the Taino Indians and a slave trade that lasted for centuries—ask any Native American what he thinks of Christopher Columbus. 

But I have to admit that because of this remarkable ‘what-if’ story, I’m able to see things a bit more in their historical perspective.

Set sometime in the near future, the story goes back & forth from the 15th century (where we learn of Columbus’ origins) to the present, where there is an academic organization known as ‘Pastwatch’.  Computer monitors called Tru-Sites are used to look back through time, for the study of past civilizations.  

There are people who devote their entire lives to studying one ancient society, or even one historical figure.  (A Muslim named Kemal is a celebrity Pastwatcher, an expert of ancient weather patterns who ascertained not only the origin & sinking of Atlantis, but that Noah--known by his people as Noag, and his ark of animals actually existed.) 

But this book focuses on a Pastwatcher named Tagiri, an African woman who has made it her life’s work to understand the beginnings of slavery.  Years of careful study have led her to one man:  Christopher Columbus, who was ultimately responsible for the African & American continents colonization by Europe, and the death and enslavement of millions of their native peoples for several centuries.

So when it’s discovered that scientists may be able to do more than just observe past events, and actually travel backwards in time, Tagiri wants to devise a way to prevent Columbus “discovery of America”. 

Her colleagues are shocked; aren’t you afraid of how it will alter our present?

Tagiri says “History is not our prelude; we can’t justify the pain & suffering of people in the past because everything turned out well by the time we came along.  When we believed we could not go back in time & make changes, we could be excused for shedding a tear for them & going on with our happy lives.  But once we know we can go back & help, if we let their suffering go on, this is no golden age we live in.”  

Wow!  She makes a good argument.  And as the story progresses, Tagiri wonders two things: what really compelled Columbus to make that historical voyage in the first place, and why is Pastwatch allowing her to proceed with her plans to stop him?  The answers to both are startling.

I don’t know what they teach about Christopher Columbus in classrooms today.  I’m from the generation that learned he was a great explorer, looking only for a faster route to the Far East for gold & spices when he discovered the New World instead. 

In fact, when he arrived & the Tainos Indians befriended him, Columbus wrote this about them in his report to Queen Isabella:  "So peaceable, are these people, that I swear to your Majesties there is not in the world a better nation. They love their neighbors as themselves, and their discourse is ever sweet and gentle, and accompanied with a smile; and though it is true that they are naked, their manners are decorous and praiseworthy."

Columbus then declared them the property of Spain, ordered their enslavement & began shipping them back to Europe.  The ones who were allowed to remain were forced to mine for gold—and tortured & murdered if they resisted. 

In 4 years, a hundred thousand Tainos were dead.

Where was I going with this?  I was planning to say something in this so-called explorer’s defense, but it’s lost on me.

      

26 comments:

  1. I think I'll skip the book, but I haven't thought of Columbus as a good guy for a long time now! Card has written some good sci-fi over the years, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, and I definitely need to read more from this author; he's a great storyteller.

      Delete
  2. I have read portions of his diary. Nothing excuses rape, torture and murder. Whatever else he did, I can't get past that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Merry, so agreed--there was much here I will never forget.

      Delete
  3. To be honest, Dug, I've never thought much about Christopher Columbus except what I remember from grammar school (he discovered America). As far as whether he was responsible for the beginning of slavery, possibly. Going back in time to stop this... interesting. Although I do like 'traveling through time' books, think I might skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rian, we sure have a funny way of spinning history sometimes, don't we. Well, like you I'm a big fan of time travel fiction and I have to say, this was one of the best I've read--but it's more thought provoking than anything.

      Delete
    2. Well, "thought provoking" sounds good. Maybe I'll check it out...

      Delete
  4. How sad. I didn't know this about Columbus. Like you, I thought he was a great explorer, so brave and praise worthy. If what you say is true, then, shame on him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi--well, I knew he had a pretty checkered past, and people have been trying to get Columbus Day changed to Native American Day for years, but until I read this book and did some research on my own, didn't realize how bad.

      Delete
  5. Hi Doug, we learnt nothing about Christopher Columbus in school. All I knew was he discovered America. This book sounds very different. Canada has it’s own share of “good guys”
    Take care.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Robin, thanks for sharing--I was thinking of you when posting this, wondering if Columbus played any part in your Canadian schooling. I'd say you were spared some real nonsense. "Good guys" indeed!

      Delete
  6. Ha - The dark side of Christopher Columbus (CC) revealed! Our history books never covered this. We learned about the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria and how CC discovered America. It appears that our history books allowed for some creative license.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, thank you and well said--you just described my own education there as well. Well, at least they got his boats right!

      Delete
  7. As a nation (world?) we are drowning in lies. Many that have been perpetuated by our educational system. I've come to the conclusion we were brainwashed into believing a history that never existed. We can't rewrite history but we need to learn and understand the truth if that's even possible at this point. I recently read The 1619 Project. It became massively clear to me as I was reading it that the history I was taught was patently false. I try to be hopeful but fear we are living in a house of cards. Another thought provoking post on your part! Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bobi, and darn it--I saw 'The 1619 Project' as a miniseries on Hulu and should've given it a watch before ending my subscription, at least. I will keep it in mind and what you said here... so on point. Thanks again!

      Delete
  8. I haven't celebrated Columbus Day for years since he was a nasty (evil?) man who didn't really discover America. Historical "facts" have been spun for decades and it's getting WAY worse. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I was curious what your opinion would be if you had one as you were a teacher your whole life probably knew better than most. 😑

      Delete
  9. Columbus Day always was a bah humbug holiday for me. He was not a hero when my children were in school, in the seventies and eighties.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure if you were having a History exam at the end of this entry! OK, if we can really figure out how to go back in time and correct wrongs, let me know when they get to Trump. I grew up in Oklahoma. The wrongs done to Native Americans is horrid: stealing lands from them after written agreements, putting them in missionary schooling homes. And the U.S. stole Hawaii also. I thought most explorers were doing such for the money from any royals that would foot the bill. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Linda and by the sound of it, you'd ace that history exam. Good points here!

      Delete
  11. I've never heard of this book and it sounds very interesting, but going back and changing the past doesn't sit well with me. It would change things to the point where you or I might never be born, nor my children and grandchildren who I love so much. and where would Albert Einstein be and all the other inventors and geniuses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River that's very true of course, and discussed at length in the book--people in the present will be sacrificing their lives for their culture. It's a great read, though.

      Delete
  12. I think most of the "his"story as we know it has been cleaned up and made palatable for today's students. I truly had no idea that Columbus did more than arrive on the shores of America and assume he was in India.
    The genocide that was practiced in the settlement of our countries and so many others around the world were done to obtain the wealth of those nations without concern for those affected. Sadly, we're still seeing this behaviour in certain areas of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maebeme, well said. And it's shocking how few of us really know the truth here, even at our ages. Better late than never.

      Delete
  13. I will tell you that I did not glorify Columbus to my 1st graders, but told them the truth as gently as I could.

    Sorry, could not stop by earlier. After being on the trip... dang it! Now suffering extreme vertigo and have to stay away from too much screen time. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.