Monday, September 18, 2023

My love-hate relationship with Keurig.com—and (I hate to say it) some Indians

Last Tuesday morning, I got up and stumbled into the kitchen, slid a k-cup into my Keurig K-Supreme, hit ‘10 oz’ and the big “K” button, went to the bathroom, came back into the kitchen and my coffee mug had exactly 2 oz of scalding hot… something that smelled like burnt plastic.  Uh-oh.

The machine was dead.  No matter what I did, I couldn’t bring it back to life.  I knew this was coming, as the last couple weeks my cups of coffee were getting smaller and increasingly hotter.  I’ve only owned the machine 3 years, but I swear to God I wasn’t angry in the least, just sad.  Those were 3 very good years.

I got out my old K10 from storage (a mini I bought many years ago) and sighed as it creaked out 6 oz. of lukewarm, watery coffee.  I had to have another K-Supreme.  They use the same k-cups, and with 5 injection needles instead of one, produce nearly double the amount of coffee, double the strength, double the temp and in half the time too. 

I jumped on my computer, headed over to Amazon.com, thought “Why don’t I give my business to someone else for a change?” and went to Keurig.com instead.  Ah!  They had a wonderful deal going on their coffee machines—if you “bundled one”, that is bought the machine and signed up for a coffee subscription of at least 16 boxes, you’d get the machine at a BIG discount.  Well, I already have a k-cup subscription at Amazon, so I’ll cancel that and get my monthly 4 boxes here instead.  And that’s just what I did.

But when I hit the ‘Buy it Now’ button on my Keurig shopping cart, a brown banner flashed across the top of my screen.  “THIS METHOD OF PAYMENT CANNOT BE AUTHORIZED AND MAY BE FRAUDULENT.  CONTACT YOUR CARD ISSUER OR USE ANOTHER CARD.”

That’s crazy!  I just used my Visa last night at the hardware store!  I got out my second Visa card and the same thing happened.  Okay, there’s something wrong with Keurig’s website.

I went down to the bottom of the page, called the Customer Support number and an Indian woman answered.  She sounded like she was talking through a double-pane window.  I told her what happened, she said “Daht eez fine sur now to start wit thee emel of yours and name?”   I said “You want my email address and name?”  She said “Yes, daht will be perfect of you.”  

I gave it to her.  EDOUGMORRIS@GMAIL.COM.  She asked me to repeat it.  I did.  She asked me to spell it.  I did.  She said “Perfect.  Now slower.”  I spelled it very slowly.  She asked me to spell it with a word for each letter.  “E as in elephant, D as in Douglas, O as in onion…”   She asked me to do it again.

On the eighth request for my email address, I said “May I PLEASE speak to someone else?”  She said after I gave her my name and email address.  I hung up.

Now I want to state for the record, I like Indians.  I’ve never met one that wasn’t smart, friendly, polite and I worked with many in my IT career.  At UPMC, I often coordinated large data transfers with a round Indian named Sandeep, who I liked so much I had trouble hiding my affection for the man.  It was so apparent that the women in my group tried to “out” me.

(Danielle, if you’re reading this.. does Sandeep still work with Data Warehouse?  Will you tell him I said hi?)

So anyway… I waited an hour, then called Customer Support again and this time got an Indian male.  His English was so broken I had to keep interrupting him to say “I’m sorry, I can’t understand a word you’re saying.”  When he began muttering in Hindi, I hung up.

I made a cup of tea, took a deep breath and called Customer Support again.  Another Indian male, but this one I could understand a little better.  When he told me to call my credit card issuer and have my account “mended”, I told him the card did not need mending—his website was broken.  He said “Very good sir, thank you.  Now your next step is to call your credit card issuer and report your invalid card will you do this for me please?“  

I hung up on him too.

I put on my shoes, went for a walk and wondered what to do next.  I came home, cleared my computer’s cache, attempted the order again and got the same “fraudulent card” message.  I called Customer Support for the fourth time, got another Indian man, asked him to PLEASE listen, he said of course and afterward he said “Mr. Morris here is what we will do.  I will cancel your account and create for you another member account.”  I said ok.  He said “While I do that, call your credit card issuer and instruct them you have a fraudulent card and require a new number.“

I said “Goodbye, I’m hanging up now.”  His last words were “WAIT MISTER MORRIS WHAT IS YOUR EMAIL!!”   

I closed the Keurig page, went on Amazon and ordered a K-Supreme machine (at the top).  It said it would arrive in 10-11 days, but was delivered in 4, early Saturday morning.  And all was right with the world.

And finally, I should add that this past Friday, I got an email from Keurig.com (how’d they get my email address?  I’m kidding) that apologized for the trouble I experienced on their website, they looked into the issue and found my account was blocked in error by their fraud software. 

They removed the block and added a coupon for 2 free boxes of coffee to my online shopping cart when I’m ready to complete my order. 

Gee fellas I’m sorry, but I took my business elsewhere.  Love your machines though!

44 comments:

  1. How frustrating! The fact you asked for the call to be escalated to someone else and were declined that request would have been the end of it for me. Your patience, (or is it tenacity?) is impressive. The air likely would have been blue on this end of the call.

    Glad you got the machine you wanted and your caffeine intake is back to its normal level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maebeme! I honestly tried to see the humor here, but the fact of the matter is the website customer service for Keurig is god-awful. I learned my lesson.

      Delete
    2. I've have a few Keurigs too. Honestly, I never found the coffee they produce to be all that great and the machines themselves are so-so. Good in a pinch and better than nothing but...I am finally back to a reliable, economical, Mr. Coffee. You can control the strength of the brew with the amount of grounds you use and it's hotter!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jackie--well I do like the K-cups a lot, but to be honest I feel guilty using them. Maybe when this machine conks out, I'll go back to Mr. Coffee! :^)

      Delete
    4. Good idea, all those used K-cups just go to landfill.

      Delete
  2. I was once told that when you run into the language issue, you can request to speak to someone in America. Not sure if that works….and that was a few years ago. It is probably considered racist now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anon I never heard of that but I wish someone would've made the offer. This was a real issue last week. I don't want to sound racist either, but the communication gap was a real issue.

      Delete
  3. One reason I refuse to do business online except with companies with whom I have a good track record. If I attempt an online order, and it doesn't go as smooth as silk, I disconnect and do something different. In my case, I feel God is trying to tell me something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dkzody--I think you're exactly right, but this all happened because I felt guilty for giving Amazon too much of my business. I still want to branch out, but NOT with Keurig.com.

      Delete
  4. Indians are hard to understand. Stick with Amazon. David has a Keurig, too, and buys a box of Peet's Coffee cups from Target. Me? I prefer Stok Cold Brew Coffee, chilled and unsweetened. I buy it from Target, also. It's dark and rich. Just how I like my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, and boy does that Cold Brew Coffee sound good. I need to check that out--maybe it will get me off the Keurig habit! :^)

      Delete
    2. Buy Stok. No other brand will do.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Gigi, I trust you completely. :^)

      Delete
  5. I was impressed with the Keurig I used in New York but superstitiously stick with my nearly 30 year old Krups which makes espresso and drip coffee. It's battered and not too pretty but has been a good and reliable friend. Doug, what you went through would be extremely frustrating. I would definitely contact the Keurig company and tell them what happened and how they lost your business. If it's happening with you, I'm sure it's also happening for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret--wow, a 30 year old Krups. Well, that name says it all. And honestly, what happened that day was no exaggeration--but you're right, I really should figure out a way to contact them and let them know--by the way, I did a reddit search on people who went thru this too (Payment failed at checkout and foreign customer service issues) and there's lots out there.

      Delete
  6. When a company out-sources their customer service they need to be able to speak English and they need to know how their system works. You heroically tried working with several people and nobody could process your order. Customer service seems to be in decline today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, so well said--you summed this up so well, THANK YOU :^)

      Delete
  7. Hi Doug, goodness, that was a hassle! Not a coffee drinker myself but have friends who insist they can’t function until they have one in the morning. We recently had some issues with our bank. Contacting their call centre was an exercise in frustration. The first gentleman I spoke to took me a few seconds after he made each comment to figure out what he said. Our issue was not resolved so I called again. This gentleman had a hard time understanding me. I give up! You have a lot more patience than I do.
    Enjoy your coffee!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin and thank you for sharing your own recent issue, I'm sorry you had to go through something like this too. I almost didn't write about this as I didn't want it to be misconstrued as anything racist; but it's obvious these companies are trying to save money and I feel at our expense. To be very honest, the only reason I stuck with this on Tuesday is because I couldn't believe it was actually happening! I felt like I had to see it through, but at the end I lost! And sadly they did too.

      Delete
  8. Oh wow, what a hassle you went through!!!! I would not have hung in nearly as long as you. I figure if I can't understand them, they can't understand me. If my bank doesn't alert me to card fraud, then I'm pretty confident that's not the problem. Coffee is my MUST HAVE to start the day. This summer, however, I've followed my sister's example and switched to Nescafe instant coffee. I still keep grounds and a basket drip machine for visitors, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Florence! I honestly held out as I was anxious to see how long it would take to resolve things. How can a business operate in such a manner. Hmm... I appreciate what you shared here, I'm anxious to try Gigi's cold coffee and now I want to add your Nescafe to my list! I won't be "held hostage" again, like you that first cup is my must have. :^)

      Delete
  9. Wow! Sorry for the hassle, Dug. We use the Keurig K.Select machine. It makes a strong brew also. And I used to get my k-cups from Keurig, but we use Dunkin Donuts 100% Columbian and Keurig stopped carrying it. Now we get it from Amazon. Keurig lost our business also. But I know what you mean about not being able to understand Customer service reps with heavy accents. It's annoying... and I would have hung up too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Keurig person, thank you Rian! I'm surprised Keurig stopped carrying any Duncan Donuts, they do have excellent coffee. And yes, customer reps with heavy accents... I know it's progress, but I can't imagine dealing with this 20-25 year ago, can you?

      Delete
    2. I think Keurig still carries the Dunkin donuts original, but NOT the 100% Columbian.

      Delete
  10. I feel guilty using my keurig too, but it’s so darn fast. I keep saying when it dies I’m going to a French press. Check out Scammer Payback on YouTube. He calls scammers and hacks them as they are trying to hack him. Not that you called a scammer. 😊. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Joyce, I'm glad someone else understands the guilt. Hey, I have watched scammer payback on YouTube! I love that guy! I don't think anyone was trying to scam me here, I just think keurig.com needs to stop trying to save so much money when it comes to customer support. 🤔

      Delete
  11. You’re a persistent little devil. I’d have given up after the first try and gone back to Amazon then.
    I buy coffee from my local store where they roast it themselves. Use a single cup dripper, coffee filters and (espresso strength) ground beans. It saves 129.99 (minus the cost of the dripper thingie that I’ve had for years, a couple of bucks).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thank you Peter--well, I really wanted that deal on Keurig.com! Plus I felt I had a point to make, that getting customer service on such a giant site shouldn't be so difficult--they proved me wrong. Well, I'm sure your own coffee is tastier, but I just like the taste from those k-cups. They make a very fresh cup of coffee. :^)

      Delete
  12. Ugh. I hate not being able to understand. Once I was speaking to someone, god knows where, struggling to understand and there was a rooster reoeatedly crowing in the background. Not joking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, but you just gave me my first laugh of the evening! Thank you for sharing Debby! 😄😄😄

      Delete
  13. When you said you were going to take your business elsewhere and then went to the Keurig website I nearly choked. HOW is that elsewhere? It's the same company! Buy a different brand altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well River, I still wanted a Keurig! I was just tired of automatically running to Amazon for everything. And that's what I wound up doing anyway. 🙂

      Delete
    2. I am happy to see you turned away from amazon and went directly to the source. I am NOT an amazon customer, and plan to never be. I was not at all happy when amazon bought Whole Foods. It's never been the same since. I truly believe that amazon is trying very hard to take over the world, and doing pretty well at that.

      Delete
    3. Thanks dkzody, I feel the same way and still plan on shopping elsewhere than Amazon every chance I can!

      Delete
  14. Also with both visa cards being rejected and them wanting your details I suspect that particular website might be hacked and I'm glad you hung up without giving more of your details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, I agree and I did call my credit card company and told them what happened, handing over my credit card number multiple times. I've been checking my Visa account the last few days too.

      Delete
  15. I ended up giving up on reading all the comments, since I'm running out of time this morning on my laptop. But I am commiserating with you and super happy that I have a coffee shop that makes me the best coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DJan, and I'm glad you have your coffee shop, but don't you enjoy a cup or two of joe at home? :^)

      Delete
  16. When I run into foreign-sounding customer service folks, I tell them I can't understand them and to slow down. If they won't I ask for their supervisor, not just someone else. Sometimes that helps. These days though, it just rotates my call back through the same answering choices. None of my business for them. Have some coffee. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda--well, apparently SOMEONE finally listened, as they sent me that nice apology email 3 days later.. but I had to chuckle when they told me I could place my order now. 3 days later??

      Delete
  17. Love the idea of the Keurig but just can't go there due to the waste. Even the amount of coffee packed into the k-cup to make 1 cup of coffee is crazy. Have you ever cut one open? I would think it goes against every waste/environmentally concerned person's sensibilities, but that's not what I've seen in action. Let's walk the talk, folks! Thank you for allowing the rant. Think I need a cup from Mr. Coffee... and a cookie. Kim in PA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim. A few months ago I did write on here about buying a reusable K-Cup and filling it myself, I did do it for a couple of months that's all back into the K-Cup routine I admit. Now that I'm retired it might be time to go back to good old Mr Coffee!

      Delete
  18. Here, at the local Amish store, believe it or not they have oodles and oodles of K-cup type coffee. You can pick it up for $3 or so in a wide variety of brands. What I noticed was that many of those k-cups were recyclable. I never knew that.

    I bought Starbucks french roast, 2 for 1 deal, two bags for $6.99.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Debby, k-cups at an Amish store??! Haha my goodness--well it sounded like a great deal and BTW, your comment JUST popped up on my feed. I am sorry, I just don't get why this keeps happening.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.