1. The earlier I'm going to bed at night. When that 11:00 news comes on, I am ready to hit the hay.
2. The more I prefer a hot breakfast (like eggs or oatmeal) over cold cereal.
3. The less I like swearing--hearing it or doing it.
4. The less I let other people's politics bother me. I lost a couple good friendships over Donald Trump a few years back and regret it to this day.
5. The less I like television sitcoms.
6. The warmer I like to be. I used to run around (in my apartment) in my bare feet in the dead of winter. Now I wear socks year round.
7. The less I want to watch the local or national news.
8. The more I like to soak/doze in a warm, sudsy bubble bath.
9. The less I like perfume or cologne on people.
10. The shorter I like the hair on my head.
11. The less I can tolerate loud movies or violence in movies. Isn't there enough noise & violence out there?
12. The less embarrassed I am to talk about or show my body. I almost asked my barber last week if she wanted to see my gall bladder scar.
13. The less I care about social media or trends. What's an influencer? Who cares?
14. The more comfortable I am with people 5-10 years older than me than people 5-10 years younger.
15. The less I know what younger people are listening to these days, music wise. Taylor Swift... that's all I know.
16. The more I miss funny, beautiful actresses like Madeline Kahn, Teri Garr, Catherine O'Hara, Jill Clayburgh, Mary Tyler Moore. I can't believe they're all gone. 😔
17. The easier it is for me to use words like "dear", even though I sound like a Mrs. Beasley doll. "Thank you Kimberly, you're a dear."
18. The more patience I have for people like my special needs neighbor Sally who likes to tell me what she had for dinner the night before, condiments included. She's a hoot... and a dear.
19. The less patience I have for salesman who knock on my door (like T-Mobile) who "just happened to be in the neighborhood" and want to check my internet speed. I'm shutting the door now!
20. The less I can remember everything in my past. I came across this picture in some old papers awhile back and have no memory of how I got it, or who took it. On the back of the photo it says "Michelle Phillips and Doug Morris, lunch at Warner Center 1993."
I recognize my coworker and myself of course, but who had the camera?
21. The less I mind living like a hermit. (In fact, I worry sometimes I like it too much.) When I was younger, I couldn't imagine spending the weekend alone. Now I can't imagine otherwise.
22. The luckier I feel every day I don't have cancer--as far as I know. Mom & Dad both died from cancer and never made it to 65.
23. The more attraction I feel towards chubby people. Well, birds of a feather...😉
24. The worse my handwriting is becoming. I guess that old saying "if you don't use it you lose it" is true. My mom had beautiful handwriting up until the day she died.
25. The more I like my gray hair. I wear it like a badge of honor!



Great list, Doug! I always like to read these "list" posts from my favorite bloggers. I'm 8 years older than you and most of your things would be on my list, too. But, if I'm honest, some of these things would have been on my list even before I approached 65 :)
ReplyDeleteThanks Don, much appreciated! And it's good to hear from you, I was just thinking about you, You sound good.
DeleteAlways be happy with oneself. You really do have to be your best friend.
ReplyDeleteThanks dkzody. Well, I certainly spend enough time with myself. 🙂
DeleteGreat list! And you listed lots of positive things which I think is a positive sign that things are improving with your health! I am still not sure how we arrived at our ages already, but we might as well enjoy it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Miss Merry! And I am getting better, still dealing with LC issues but that's showing signs of improvement too. And yes, I like that--our age, might as well enjoy it. 🙂
DeleteLong Covid aside, I think many of these reflect that you're comfortable and at peace with yourself and where you are in life. I always write that I prefer contentment to happiness. It's more enduring and calm.
ReplyDeleteThank you Margaret, and that was very nicely said. 🙂
DeleteLike others have said , that’s a really positive list and to be suggests contentment -
ReplyDeleteYou worked hard to be where you are in life . Enjoy it
Since being widowed my hermit like qualities have emerged - I used to hate having a day with no plans - now I can have weeks with no plans . I think I remain a more political being than you - I am currently feeling very cross about Trump getting involved in
the World Cup , and so am routing for Belgium tonight
I think the internet and particularly TikTok and Instagram are very dangerous additions to the human experience, damaging our psyche and relationships- I know some good has come too ( like your blog ) but I am glad the internet didn’t exist when I was younger
Siobhan
Thank you Siobhan, this was very nicely said, I enjoyed reading this and you're very kind. I also couldn't agree more in regards to Trump and his ignorant interference with everyone, and also what you said in regard to the internet. Couldn't agree more. I'm glad I know you. 🙂
DeleteHi Doug, I love this post! When I turned 60 two years ago it was like a switch was turned on and I just don’t worry about lots of things anymore. I am the same for most of your list. I HATE being warm though and have bare feet from May to October!😆 I definitely have become more hermit like and when 9:00 comes around I am ready for bed, well, we are up at 5:30. I stopped colouring my hair four years ago and am salt and pepper (maybe more brown sugar) as my mum was. I am glad to read you sound so content with your life Doug. We all wish nothing but the best for you!❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteRobin, I really enjoyed this, thank you so much for sharing. You are funny as you are sweet☺️. Well, I thought I was an early bird but you have me beat! And good for you for going natural with your hair, I walked to the store today and ran into one of the ladies from the senior center on my way home, Mary. I've always known her with red hair but haven't seen her in months and she is completely gray now and it looks awesome on her. I sure hope you and Chuck are both doing well and I'm very glad for your friendship. You're a dear. ❤️👍
DeleteHey Doug,
ReplyDeleteGreat list. I agree with you on most of them except the Trump supporter friends. It's no loss. You're such a nice guy; I can't see you turning around and becoming an intolerant bigot. I myself have right wing Canadian (caucasian) friends who often go off on rants on immigrants (usually muslims), even though I am/was one (I was born in India, but of Chinese descent and came to Canada in 1968). I would feel really rotten unfriending them because they are otherwise nice people, so I know what you mean when you regretted losing friendships. Like you, I've also lost my tolerance for current movies because of excessive violence and noise level. And I don't watch new tv shows either, except PBS, which unfortunately won't be getting much new programming because of cuts to arts funding from the current administration in your country. I'm glad you're happy with the way you look. I was going prematurely gray in my teens and tried that Grecian Formula stuff, which never worked. Now my hair's completely white and I don't mind. I'm just glad I still have hair.
Looking forward to another interesting post topic.
Steve from Toronto
Hi Steve, thanks very much for sharing and all your kind words. You sound like you have a pretty interesting backstory, India and Chinese descent. I had no idea. And I'm sorry you've had to listen to ignorant rants, even if they're not directed towards you. Anyway, the more I know you, the more I see a kindred spirit. I'm glad we share a lot in common, including the gray hair. :^)
Delete(You knew I was going to do this)
ReplyDeleteAs I approach 81…
1. These days it’s the 10 o’clock news (that’s when I start thinking of going to bed).
2. I mostly have toast (sometimes with egg) and a cup of tea.
3. With the way things are in the world, I’m swearing more, but just to myself, not outside.
4. I don’t know anyone who liked Trump.
5. I agreed. I still like the ones from the eighties and nineties (especially English ones).
6. I still go bare feet in summer, but thick socks in winter.
7. I continue to watch the news.
8. I have a bath but only use it on excessively hot days to cool down – a gin and tonic nearby, a book and some Mozart playing.
9. I’ve never liked perfume or cologne.
10. My hair isn’t as long as it was when I was 25, 30 but it’s still a lot longer than yours.
11. I agree.
12. Oh no, I wouldn’t show my body anymore. Once up a time…
13. Who cares indeed?
14. I find it a lot harder to find people 5-10 years older than I am.
15. Me too. I’ve heard of Taylor Swift.
16. Jill Clayburgh. Be still my beating heart.
17. Oh dear. No, that’s not me.
18. Me too.
19. Nobody knocks on my door (okay, the folks downstairs about once every 6 months).
20. Michelle Phillips? The Mamas and the Papas Michelle Phillips?
21. I’ve lived on my own since 1973.
22. Me too. Mum made it to 72, dad to 83.
23. Me too, but I still like skinny ones as well (after all, that was me for more than 60 years).
24. Mine too. It’s all this typing we do.
25. My hair is white, it’s okay. I’m just happy I still have much of it.
Thank you Peter, this was awesome. (I read this earlier, then got a phone call.) Well, I'm always glad to learn something new about you! :^)
DeleteGreat list, Dug. I know I have more patience than I once had (type A personality and things had to happen NOW!). Now I just remind myself I'm retired and though there isn't unlimited time, I don't need to rush.
ReplyDeleteHowever, you and I had better not meet in person....I tend to curse like a sailor. So perhaps I haven't as much patience as I'd like to think. :)
Thank you Maebeme, and haha--my mom swore like a sailor too and I loved her more than anyone in the world. I would still like to meet you in person someday! :^)
DeleteDitto X 25!!! Well said,
ReplyDeleteMike TX
Haha, thank you Mike--I hope you and your wife are doing well. :^)
DeleteI found that the 60s are the best years ever. I had time, health, money, energy, AND as I wrote about yesterday--capacity. If I could just repeat the 60s over and over again and not get any older! The 70s aren't bad, except as I am currently lamenting, the lack of capacity (which I never even thought about until now!) and I feel time speeding up. I really do want to live another 50 years, but with capacity and ability to do all the things I want.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing dkzody, and I may be a few years younger than yourself but I can certainly understand these feelings. I'm anxious to get over this chronic covid condition and get back to a more rounded life. I just can't believe how quickly time flies.
DeleteHi Dug! I'm late again responding, but haven't been feeling well. Waiting for Doctor to call in a Rx today and spending most of my time in bed this week. Nothing to worry about... except that it was my birthday yesterday and we were going to go out to eat. DH picked up Arby's instead. As for your list, I agree with all of them... except maybe #13 - peer pressure, trends, social stuff has never meant much to me, and #21 - have never lived alone, went from home to college to married (not sure I would like it). ; (
ReplyDeleteHi Rian, and Happy Belated Birthday--gosh I am so sorry you're under the weather on your birthday, isn't this the big milestone one? Well, I do love Arby's, I hope your meal was tasty. And I very much hope the doctor can help. As for my silly list, I think we both agree on 13 (I don't care about social stuff and trends either). As for living alone, it's certainly not for everyone but you would still have your critters, I imagine. :^)
DeleteLiking sitcoms less? Perish the thought! At least not the classics - we need to laugh now more than ever.
ReplyDeleteDavid, I was only referring to the newer shows my friend. 🙂
DeleteMy biggest thing I notice is that I’m losing my filter and I really don’t mind! It feels kind of free-ing to just say what I’m thinking.🫣 You’re friend Kim/aka Mrs. Beasley🤣🥰
ReplyDeleteHaha! I love it Rock n' Roll Kimba, thanks for sharing! ❤️👍
DeleteDoug , you sound very comfortable with yourself. That's a good place to be.
ReplyDeleteJackie M
Thanks Jackie--well, I think it's more like accepting of who I am, we should all be by this age. :^)
Delete