I wound up letting the chili cool, pouring it into a container and putting it in the freezer. 3 hours later, I was in an ambulance, headed to the hospital for a blocked bile duct and emergency gallbladder surgery.
It's been hidden in the back of my freezer ever since, along with a frozen Italian roll. I'd forgotten about them until last night when I was trying to make some room in there. And seeing as how it's Thursday, and Soup Day in the Teepee... I wonder how it will taste.
Okay, it's delicious. I just keep thinking, when I made this chili I had a gallbladder. Ah well!
Yesterday my sister texted me and said she'd recently learned that GLP-1 drugs have been helping people with long covid. I contacted my doctor's office and left a message, a couple hours later they returned my call and said Dr. Cole would discuss it with me early Thursday morning.
Last week I had 2 relatively good days, Tues & Wed. I was able to attend that Senior outing for lunch at the Old Sewickley Hotel. But since then, the symptoms returned with a lot of inflammation in my temples and around my eyes, and pain in the jaw & mouth.
Dr. Cole is a young doctor, but honest and knowledgeable. He told me he would not prescribe a GLP-1 for me for long covid symptoms. He asked me if I'd gained a lot of weight since my last visit (last Sept) and I said I'd lost almost 20 lbs. since last summer. He said "You probably have a high BMI but not enough to qualify. Douglas, you have a history of issues with your pancreas, kidneys & liver. Those GLP drugs put you at a higher risk for further complications."
I told him about NHS studies of low-grade nicotine patches helping some with their long covid symptoms and he said "Can't you try upping your dosage of acetaminophen? Those patches are for smokers and can adversely affect people with hypertension. If you want to try them it's up to you, but you'll need to monitor your blood pressure." Will do.
After I got off the phone with him, I put my first patch on my left underarm. Here goes nothing.
It just occurred to me, today is my dad's birthday. He died nearly 27 years ago and would've turned 90 today. It's hard to believe he's been gone so long.
Finally, have you seen the movie "Obsession" that was released earlier this year? Made on a shoestring budget of $725,000 it earned over $400 million at the box office. I said awhile back I was done with horror movies, but saw the film was playing on Peacock this past weekend and curiosity got the best of me.
The movie is about a young man who has a secret crush on his friend & co-worker Nikki. One day he buys a "One Wish Willow" stick at a novelty shop and wishes Nikki loved him more than anyone else in the world. So what happens when his wish is granted? It both is and isn't what you'd expect, but I found it brilliant as it was horrific.
The next day, my niece Sophia texted me and said she'd heard I seen it, and would I recommend it. Her boyfriend Luke wanted her to see it. I warned her it was very good but wasn't pretty. She told me later she did like it, but covered her eyes a couple times.
Speaking of pretty, here she is with her young man Luke. All I can say is... my goodness.



Hi Dug! Yes, freezers are wonderful. I don't freeze a lot... mostly DH's red beans or casseroles that make a lot. But glad your chili was good. I don't eat chili as one time it made me really sick (and you never forget those times!)
ReplyDeleteAlso it's good your doctor was willing to discuss your questions and give you his honest answer. It is your choice as to what you want to try. I'm interested to see how that nicotine patch works.
I don't think I'll watch "Obsession" as I don't do well with horror... as it is I tend to have strange dreams... they don't need any encouragement. And that last pic of your niece and her young man looks like a good cover for a book...
Thanks Rian, I'm sorry for your bad episode with chili--I don't eat a lot of it, but every few months I really crave the homemade stuff. I will share updates on the nicotine patch, this is Day 2 for me and so far it's just given me the jitters and some skin irritation. As for that movie, I kept thinking it's for the young generation, but I can still recognize excellence and it had it. And thank you for that nice comment about my niece! Yes! :^)
DeleteIt sounds like you have an intelligent doctor. Don't mess up that relationship by going off and doing something that will make you worse!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your concern and advice dkzody, I respect his feedback and plan to let him know how the nicotine therapy is going. But until someone has some answers for this LC, I have to be willing to try unproven things.
DeleteDoug,
ReplyDeleteThe heading of this post threw me off for a while there; I thought it was chili made with offal. Anyway, that's great that you've been able to get back to it and it still tasted fine.
Yes, heed your doctor's advice, and good luck.
I don't watch horror films anymore (just the old classics). The last recent one I saw was Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo Del Toro, which I thought was excellent
The photos of your niece and her boyfriend are just beautiful.
Steve from Toronto
Oh my gosh Steve, you just made me laugh out loud--I never considered the possibility someone might think I made chili out of... internal things! Anyway, I'm not a horror fan either so I had to "put on my movie critics hat" to watch Obsession--but it really was excellent (both story and acting). And thank you very much for the kind words about my niece and her beau. :^)
DeleteGallbladder chili! Yum yum.
ReplyDeleteThe things in my freezer are ice cream, frozen peas and potato gems, some puff pastry sheets, a container of chicken stock and a couple of mystery items. One day I’ll get them out to see what they are.
I hope those patches work and don’t make things worse.
You can publish pictures of Sophia whenever you like.
Thank you Peter, enjoyed hearing about your own freezer and you always manage to give me a smile. 🙂
DeleteGood for you quizzing your doctor about possible LC treatments, and I'm impressed with his thoughtful responses and explanations. Bravo both of you!
ReplyDeleteCeci
Thanks Ceci, I appreciate that 🙂
DeleteI seem to be incapable of making normal size batches of chili so I usually end up freezing individual servings for later. It might even taste better after some time in the freezer!
ReplyDeleteYour doctor sounds like a good one with sensible advice.
I can't tolerate horror movies anymore. The older I get the more of a weenie I become!
Thanks Jennifer and I was just now telling a friend on the phone that I think I like Frozen and reheated chili even better. And I know exactly what you mean about horror movies, I feel the same. This one is more psychological than anything, but I have to give it credit for its excellence in story and acting 👍
DeleteGood luck with the patches. I really like your doctor. I wish I had a primary that answered my questions. Just monitor your bp and pay attention to side effects. So glad you were up to eating your chili!
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Miss Merry. I hope you're doing well, I miss seeing you out there in the blog-verse.
DeleteI’m surprised you don’t PTSD related to the chili. If it were me I would and would not be able to eat chili ever again! Be careful with the unconventional treatments but I don’t blame you one bit for trying, especially since you PCP has no conventional treatments to offer other than increasing your dose of Tylenol. 😡 The GLP stuff makes me nervous in general due to the unknown long term side effects. Kimba🌻
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Kimba, everything you said is much appreciated. Um... I was a little nervous warming up that chili! And you are so right about the GLP drugs, I'm more worried about my pancreas and kidneys more than anything. These long covid relapses are just frustrating. I don't know if they'll ever end.
DeleteNice to find dinner already made in the freezer. My appreciation for the freezer is that it keeps my daughter (and truthfully, me) out of the grocery store on the daily.
ReplyDeleteI do hope the patch helps to relieve your symptoms. Glad to hear you were able to get out for an event.
Thanks Maebeme, and I appreciate your well wishes--just so anxious to beat this once and for all.
DeleteHi Doug, always nice to find a forgotten meal in the freezer. I love the sensible advice your doctor is giving you. I hope you do get some relief from the patch.
ReplyDeleteTake care Doug!❤️❤️
Thanks Robin, you're very kind. I've only been on this patch 3 days, but so far it's only given me the jitters and some BP spikes so if those don't calm in a week... I don't know. Anyway I hope you're well and I appreciate your good wishes. ❤️
DeleteDoug, I am really glad to hear you had a couple relatively good days last week, and were able to attend the lunch outing! It’s good the doctor warned about the possible side effects of the GLP. The last thing you would need is to cause any more health issues. Have you felt any effects from the nicotine patch yet? Sure hope you are feeling good this week; take care of yourself!
ReplyDeleteMike, TX
Sorry, I didn’t read your reply to Robin regarding the patch status so. I have to say that’s concerning; be careful. MIle
DeleteThanks Mike, it's good to hear from you my friend. I appreciate what you said, I don't see the patch thing working out. I told the doctor I wanted to give it 5 days, but it has been making me feel worse I think, not better. I definitely don't need the spikes in blood pressure. Well, I did have a couple good days and I'm sure I will again. Thanks again Mike, I hope you're good.
DeleteThanks. All good here, only dealing with a cranky knee. Look forward to hearing you are having good days! MIke
DeleteI love having a little stash of emergency meals. When I don't have the time (or inclination to cook, I pull something out. As a matter of fact, we are having a container of herbed chicken tonight, left over from a wedding reception.9, along with some new potatoes from a roadside stand.
ReplyDeleteThanks D3bby, that sounds great. I n3ver stash meals intentionally, but I really should.
DeleteLovely pictures of your niece and her beau
ReplyDeleteThat’s a really powerful memory you have evoked -
do you think when you eat chilli you will
Always connect it to the trauma of your gallbladder surgery
Great that you have been out - and you can predict my response to LC continuing to rear its ugly head
Hope the week ahead is a good one
Siobhan x
Thanks very much for the kind words about my niece and her beau, Siobhan. And I have no worries about chili evoking any memories, I'm just glad that gallbladder is finally gone. And it was nice to get out the week before last, but since then... things not so good. I just don't get it. Anyway, thanks again for your kind thoughts. 🙂
DeleteI love homemade chili and am glad you found it! You've had a lot going on, so it makes sense that you would forget about it. We truly need to be our own advocates for medical care these days. Way to go for asking those questions and trying new solutions. Something has to work!!
ReplyDeleteThank you Margaret, I was going to email you this morning to see where you were. Looking forward to your new blog post. 🙂
DeleteGigi Hawaii. Because of your blog, David watched Obsession on TV. He said it was frightening. Be careful about what you wish for. That’s a cute photo, by the way.
ReplyDeleteThanks Gigi and wow about David watching that movie. He and I should talk movies more, I always liked how wide his interests go.
Delete