A few days ago I was surprised to get this in the mail. A Get Well card from the folks at the Senior Center, who apparently found out about my recent stay at Mercy Hospital. It was a really sweet gesture, as I haven't talked to anyone or been back to the center in several months (since my long covid relapse last September).
It was so nice to see some of these names... they really are a wonderful group, both the seniors and the ladies who manage the center. Monday I was walking home from Kuhn's, and a white SUV pulled up alongside me on the street, honking it's horn. I looked thru the passenger window and almost didn't recognize my friend Mary. She rolled down the window and yelled "Get your butt in this car--now!" Too funny! Love her.
(By the way, I've known Mary since April 2023 and she's always had red auburn hair. After this past Christmas however, the last time I saw her, she decided to stop coloring her hair and is now fully gray. And it looks really, really nice on her.)
After I got in, she caught me up on things at the center and with herself. Our mutual friend Evvie, another one I miss very much, hasn't been to the center because of glaucoma and cataract issues. I pray she gets that resolved soon. And Mary has moved out of her old place into a condo just a couple blocks from me. Wow.
A picture of Pat's 85th birthday from last summer, there's my friend Mary in the stripes and my old pal Dennis in the backI told Mary that I contacted the center last week and asked to be put on the list for the restaurant outing for "Rosa's Cantina" on July 15. It would be my first outing since last summer.
I've been getting days here & there of lesser long covid symptoms, which gives me hope, unfortunately these weird relapses won't quit. I'm in the middle of one right now.
Have you ever heard of red kryptonite? We all know how green kryptonite can kill Superman. There's also white kryptonite, blue kryptonite, jewel kryptonite, gold kryptonite. But the red stuff will cause Supes to tingle all over--after that, anything goes. It can turn him invisible, shrink him to the size of a housefly, turn him into a giant, a super-baby, you name it.
That's what long covid does to me. I never know when or how it will strike. The night before last I was sitting here sipping a cup of coffee and eating a cookie, and suddenly began smelling long covid. (Burnt hair, old flowers, mildew.) A mild prickling sensation began in my face. A sure sign something bad was coming.
The next morning, the bottom right of my face was terribly swollen. It looked like someone had given me a fat lip while I slept. It will take 2-3 days to go back to normal.
This past weekend while people were celebrating the Fourth of July, I was coming close to getting kicked out of the Tiffany. We lost our AC on July 3, and with Pittsburgh dealing with a week long heat wave of temps reaching 100F, by that night my apartment was 90F.
Steiner was slow to respond but it turns out only 2 people called and complained about the lack of AC; myself and a woman on the 6th floor. I knocked on several of my neighbors doors and asked if they were suffering from the heat (oh yes) and did they call in and report the issue (oh no).
One neighbor said he didn't want to cause trouble as his lease was coming up. Another said she was afraid of putting a target on her back. Another said she knew someone would report it... eventually. I told them "You have to speak up. You don't have to be mean about it, but if only 1 or 2 tenants say anything, they won't treat it as an emergency."
Geez, I feel like I'm living with a flock of sheep here!
My sister Shawn was kind enough to offer to drive up Saturday morning and bring me back to her house for the weekend, and I was sorely tempted, but I felt I had to see this through. I'd been pretty irate with Steiner over 2 days, telling them we needed a certified AC repairman, we had older people living here, I know it's a holiday but we need this resolved right now, etc.
I just hope I didn't put any targets on my own back! And hopefully I won't be seeing these numbers in my apartment again for a long time.



That’s great that you are going back to the Centre - you always seem to have a good time there and the people sound terrific
ReplyDeleteAnd good for you for asking that your landlord provide the service for which you are paying - you are I imagine a gold star tenant , never late with payment , look after your home well and kind to neighbours - they cannot target you for that can they ? We will start a petition if they do
And you are right , the all cause mortality rates in Europe and the US soar during a heatwave , impacting people with disabilities and older adults ( and sadly little ones as well )
It’s hot here too -
Not as warm as for you but we in the UK don’t routinely have AC ( for centuries we haven’t needed it ) my cottage is
made of stone so cooler , but if the climate continues like this I will consider it - I am Irish - we do wet not warm
And boo hiss to your LC .
I really hope you can have a break and get out and enjoy yourself - you deserve it
Siobhan
Thanks Siobhan, a couple weeks ago when they were talking about the lack of AC in the UK on the news and that giant heat wave across Europe, I did think about you and wondered if you were one of the few who had it. As for my return to the center next week, it's not 100% certain, but keeping my fingers crossed. I'm ready to see some faces beside my own. 🙂
DeleteI hope you sent that picture to your doctor. Let the doctor see exactly what you are experiencing and how it affects your life.
ReplyDeleteThanks dkzody, but it would be pointless. They have no treatment for long covid flareups. It will die down in the next couple days, it just has to run it's course.
DeleteI thought you actually were pouting, but no? That's what long covid can do--what a very weird and unpredictable condition. That's probably one of the horrors of it, right? I'm so glad that you signed up for a restaurant outing and fingers crossed that you can go! NO A/C in those temperatures and people didn't complain? I would be calling every hour! I'm a very squeaky wheel...
ReplyDeleteHaha Margaret it's not just the lips--it's the whole lower right cheek that's swolllen, the underside too. Anyway thanks for the good wishes and I am hoping no flare-ups by next Wednesday, I just need a day. And I am still shocked only 2 tenants out of 85 complained! I don't get these people!
DeleteSome women would pay some serious money for that pouty Botox look! 😉But seriously, I hope this flare subsides soon so that you can go on the outing with the senior center.😕 Kimba
ReplyDeleteKimba you are too funny! But it's already starting to subside, I've had quite enough of this nonsense :^)
DeleteMorning Doug, oh, your poor face! I hope it is less swollen now.❤️ Yikes, 90° in your apartment? Way, way too hot! How could Steiner let that go? How lovely you got to see Mary. I am saddened to read that Evvie hasn’t been well. I do miss seeing her beautiful smiling face.🥺 I hope you are able to make the senior centre outing next week Doug, take care.❤️❤️
ReplyDeleteRobin, thank you so much! It is a little less swollen, I am hoping it's gone by tomorrow so I can walk to the store. And yes, it was super-nice to see Mary. I sure have missed her (and Evvie too). I sure do appreciate your good wishes and I hope you and Chuck are doing well. ❤️
DeleteI hope the ac is fixed! Being in FL, it’s always hot but we have a back up mini split in one room and ceiling fans throughout the house. LC symptoms are so strange. I can’t imagine what that mixture smells like. I hope you can make it to the center outing. I love being at my center even though the noise sometimes takes me down after I get home. Joyce
ReplyDeleteThanks very much Joyce. The AC is fixed (but doesn't get below 77 in here if it's really hot outside) and the swelling is going down too. That LC always goes after something different it seems. I sure hope your own health is holding up. 🙏
DeleteHi Doug,
ReplyDeleteWow! That's some fat lip! It does look like you're pouting, which you have every right to, what with all you've gone through. I got your red kryptonite reference; did you ever own a copy of the Superman Giant issue from June/July 1970 with the all kryptonite theme? I bought it when it first came out, probably in April of that year. Anyway, at least you didn't end up with an ant's head. Ha ha.
That was really sweet of Mary to give you a lift, and I hope that you'll be good to go in rejoining your seniors center pals in their outings. I feel bad about your best bud Evvie's state; I pray that she too will be well enough to go too. Being in the company of good friends is very therapeutic. So I hope the AC in your apartment is fixed soon; I wouldn't be able to handle those temperatures myself. In the meantime: Hydrate. Drink lots of water. Take care, my friend.
Steve from Toronto
Steve! You just made me laugh out loud, yes I remember that 80 page giant, I specifically remember sitting in the back of my parents car reading it while they were in the market and I was thinking of the cover when I wrote that above. You are killing me! 😆 Anyway my kind friend, the ac was repaired on Sunday and hopefully I can stop pouting about it soon. And all kidding aside, I couldn't agree more about seeing good friends again. Just those few minutes with Mary yesterday cheered me up so much. Thank you Steve, you're a super guy. 🙂
DeleteI know that here in Saskatchewan, there is no requirement for landlords to provide a/c (makes sense since for at least seven months of the year, we don't need it). On the other hand, if the a/c is already installed, the landlord is required to keep it in good working order. I wonder if there isn't a similar law/requirement in your state?
ReplyDeleteGlad you were able to see your friend Mary and have a good visit to catch up on the news. I hope that the LC symptoms relieve enough that you'll be able to visit the center soon.
Thanks Maebeme, and that's a good question about the AC. We don't have traditional central air; our system, built around 1951, cold water pipes run thru the ceilings and each apt has a small fan that blows on them. So it's never truly cool in here, but it's comfortable enough. And our property mgr is usually very quick to act on stuff, I think the holiday weekend threw a monkey wrench into the works. :^)
DeleteDug! Your poor face! Is this the first time it's given you a fat lip? I know your face has been swollen before, but I think you should record these flare-ups and keep a record. It may be important for yourself or a doctor at a later date... just thinking. And your inside temp at 91 is dangerous! People die in that kind of heat. I can't imagine your landlord not being worried about people dying in his place...
ReplyDeleteBut on a lighter note... glad you got to see Mary and 'catch up' and really hope you're able to go on the 15th (BTW, that's DH's birthday - and yes, I'm 9 days older than him). As for the Superman mentions, I can't comment... know very little except for the basic Superman movie and legend ( Christopher Reeves was the actor I'm familiar with). Sending virtual hugs and good vibes for a good week and a fun 15th!
Thanks very much Rian, I sure hope you're feeling a lot better! I've gotten the swellings before, in different parts of the face (and neck). There's nothing that can be done, just ice packs and waiting until the long covid has run it's course. And yes those 90s temps in here were dangerous (which is why I'm disappointed more tenants didn't speak up). But I was pretty loud about it and the property mgr was very kind in return. Well, I sure hope DH has a nice birthday--and I get to enjoy it out too. :^)
DeleteThat is terrible that people are so afraid to speak up for fear of retribution. Are these fears founded? As far as them crying off with 'no body else is complaining...90 degree temps need looked into. That is not normal. Elderly people can die in situations like this. You are now a card carrying old person now.🤪
ReplyDeleteThank you Debby. And you're right, it was terrible that these tenants were afraid to speak up. We actually have a pretty good landlord, so I don't get it. But the times were dangerous. And you're right! I am a card carrying old person now haha 😆
DeleteYou sure have a lot of good folks at the Senior Centre. Perhaps I should look for one. Nuh, I’m too much of an introvert.
ReplyDeleteRosa’s Cantina, eh? So, you’re heading for the west Texas town of El Paso, are you?
I admire you. You’re not afraid to publish unflattering (to say the least) photos of yourself.
I woke this morning and the news told me it was 3 degrees (C, of course). We have a large high centred over us, so it means cold nights but beautiful days. Sunny, no clouds about 17C – very pleasant.
Thank you Peter, and for the chuckle. (Why did I post that awful photo.) And for the record, I'm an introvert too--it's not like this is a daily or even weekly thing! And your weather does sound very pleasant... I'm worn out with summer already.
DeleteSpokane is kicking around a ordinance that would require landlords to keep bedrooms below 80 degrees. The goofs in charge say that doesn't necessarily mean AC. Insulation and trees are mentioned. I guess they don't know how nature works. Getting a tree to shade a house can take 20 years or more and insulation only slows the process.
ReplyDeleteAs a landlord my simple fix would be to add central air and charge an extra $100 or more a month. None of my rentals have AC and the people living there are happy to pay less. Some put in their own window units.
They are going to vote on it next week. Sounds like all the renter will have to do is send you a notice that it is too hot and you have 72 hours to deal with it.
Wow Ken, thanks for sharing. I have a couple friends who live your way, and they don't have AC either. That ordinance doesn't sound that realistic. People just need to keep a pedestal fan in their bedroom, mine keeps me quite comfortable 98% of the time.
DeleteI'm really really to see the temperature in your apartment! That is ridiculous. I don't care if thangry e ac was out in only two apartments, a repair person should have been called immediately! And to find out it was everyone . . . And the reporters should be THANKED, not victimized. I am so sorry you had to deal with this.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry this awful plague snuck up on you again. Gosh, I wish it would run it's course and leave. I can't imagine the miserable feelings that come with those smells. I do hope you feel better quickly and can attend one of the senior center trips soon.
I dropped my laptop again and I am sorry about the jumbled letters. Just know I am feeling awful for you.
DeleteThank you Miss Merry, you're always sweet and you always manage to make me smile! 😊
DeleteHere's hoping your face is back to normal and you're feeling better. I'll keep my fingers crossed and send you healing/positive thoughts that you can make the lunch outing with your friends. How sweet that they sent you that nice card,! And shame on your landlords for intimidating tenants. Surely Pittsburgh has tenant rights to protect you, invoke them if needed. If I remember correctly, didn't they try to freeze you just a few months ago?
ReplyDeleteThanks Bobi you're very kind. The face swelling has gone down a lot, still some burning and soreness but I'm hoping it doesn't escalate anytime soon. Very much appreciate your good wishes. As for the AC mix up, I really don't think it was deliberate on my landlord's part. We have a new maintenance man that was pretty young and thought the system needed overnight to cool even when I insisted it didn't. They did apologize the next day though. And no, there was a day in the winter when the heating system wasn't working but they were on it! This is just a finicky building!
Delete