Wednesday, September 16, 2026

It was a lonnnnng day at Narcisi Winery, but what else do I have to do?

Well, today was my third outing this year, and while I can't say I was having a great day long covid wise (a lot of inflammation is in my lower jaw right now) it wasn't a terrible day either.  

I still debated going, I've already been there twice before.  Plus, I knew my gals Mary & Evvie wouldn't be attending. But it's a lovely place to visit about 15 miles north of the city, and I'd be able to go for a nice walk after lunch.

I will admit it wasn't as fun this time as my last 2 visits.  I had difficulty eating the pizza I'd ordered and our Access shuttle was over 2 hours late returning to get us.  Also, a recent newbie to the center kept giving me grief and I came very close to telling her to shut up.  (More on that later.)

But I still enjoyed going and getting out for the day.  So on that note, here's some boring pics (no people) of the day.

Here's a view of the Winery when we pull into the place


You have to walk thru the gift shop to get to the restaurant


After we were all seated, and they took everybody's drink orders, they got to me last.  I asked "Do you still make those black raspberry wine slushies you sold last year?"  Our excellent waiter said they sure did so I said I'd take one.  TEN other people shouted "I want to change my order to that too!"  It is blistering cold, very fruity--and very, very potent.  My head was swimming after a few sips.


Here was my salad which was just excellent.  (It came covered in giant warmed walnuts with a cream jalapeno dressing.)  When I told the waiter my salad was exceptional, Daria (a newbie to the center who feels the need to put everything down) said "It really isn't, I eat salads like that all the time."  I said "WELL I DON'T."  She said "You really need to get out more!"   This was all in front of the waiter.


My main course, a Calbrese pizza.  I loved the hot mini tomatoes, honey sauce and spicy sausage but could only eat one slice because of my jaw. I brought the rest home to fiddle with.


After lunch, I took a walk on the grounds--here's the view right outside the restaurant

I was sorry my pal Dennis couldn't make it, he had a last minute dental appointment.  But hopefully I'll get to see him next week if my long covid behaves and he doesn't have another emergency. We're supposed to go to Cracker Barrel and I'm anxious to try one of their Campfire Suppers.

And here's a final pic of their outside bar & grill.  I think next time I'll sit out there!

29 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you got out again! That salad looks really nice and Daria sounds like a pita.๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm sorry Dennis wasn't there; I love your Dennis stories.๐Ÿ˜€

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobi, you're a dear, thank you! I missed Dennis too, he's a good egg. As for Daria, when the waiter walked away she said "What restaurants do you go to? I will tell you if they're subpar." I am not kidding.

      Delete
  2. I'm delighted that you got out and your salad looks amazing! Why do some people have to be so condescending and critical? I'm not a wine drinker but the slushy sounds tasty and refreshing. It seems like you got a nice day too, an added bonus. Darned pizza! Does it help to cut it up or is it still too chewy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret! I was able to "steam heat" a slice of that pizza using a double boiler method and made it so much easier to enjoy, I I'm going to enjoy it later today for dinner ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  3. Daria sounds like someone to be avoided - your meal
    looked delicious- I hope you were able to enjoy the pizza at home
    Great that you were able to go , even if LC reared it’s very ugly head again
    Siobhan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Siobhan, and so agreed about that woman. This was just one thing of several. Still had a good time. I hope your knee is better.

      Delete
  4. Morning Doug, what a beautiful place! The food looks incredible, sorry you couldn’t enjoy all of it. Daria sounds like a real pill, goodness, why do people feel the need to be like that? Take care Doug.❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robin! I did enjoy a slice after I posted this, it just needed some steam heat to soften the crust. And so agreed, this woman was condescending and rude, she asked me for a list of restaurants I frequent, too much! Take care my friend ๐Ÿงก

      Delete
  5. Im so glad you went, Doug, and treated yourself to that wine slushie! Everything looks so delicious! Daria sounds like a pill so hopefully she won’t continue to come on the outings because she is obviously too cultured for them ๐Ÿ˜‰. I can’t imagine she’ll want to go to Cracker Barrel so you should be in the clear going there. I love Cracker Barrel - especially the store part! Kimba๐ŸŒป

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimba, thank you so much for the nice comment here and the chuckle you gave me! I like your logic, unfortunately I'm sure she'll be there next time too. She was on the last two outings I was on as well and in both cases let the waitstaff know her food was substandard and she would have to take it home and Doctor it. She's loads of fun. Anyway I didn't know you were a fan of cracker barrel, that's where my niece worked in both high school and college. Thanks again my dear friend and I hope all is well with you. ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘❤️

      Delete
  6. What a gorgeous venue. The food and drink look exceptional, too. The weather also looks perfect, not hot, not cold. It's what we used to call a "Goldilocks day." I'd sign up every time that trip came around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dkzody. Actually it was a little too hot, close to 90°. But it was beautiful bright and sunny; today it is dark gray and rainy! But I have signed up for it every year they go. This was my third trip there. ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  7. So happy to here you got to participate in an outing! Sorry Darla Downer tried to spoil it. I think your salad looks fabulous, but regardless - what business is it of hers? I would try to make sure I was not sitting by her again! If you are going to insult the restaurant, just stay home. Actually we just started eating salads again this week and yours looks really mouthwatering! And so does your pizza. I hope you were able to enjoy it at home. Glad you powered through to go but sorry someone had to spoil it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops - Daria Downer, lol. And that wine slushy looks so refreshing!

      Delete
    2. Miss Merry, big thanks for your feedback, as always. I always look forward to hearing from you, you're funny and wise and kind. Haha on Daria Downer ( I could have written the entire post about her) I just can't sit by her again. As for the pizza, I figured out how to reheat and soften it, using a double boiler method. It is absolutely delicious. Thanks again Miss M. ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
  8. Hey Doug, I'm happy you went on this outing. The winery's beautiful; looks like California. Great choices on your drink (you're an influencer!) and food. The salad and pizza's making my mouth drool. Too bad about miss sourpuss, the LC, the delayed pick up time, Dennis and evvie's absence, but at least you went out and enjoyed the fresh air and scenery. Take care, my friend
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Steve, thank you my kind friend. Oops I hope I wasn't too negative up there and yes it did look like California there, didn't it! I liked that influencer thing too, I guess I was! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I'm currently enjoying that pizza this very moment, it's delicious. Just needed to soften the crust. Anyway, thank you again my good guy from Toronto, I hope you're well. ๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

      Delete
  9. It seems that most American wineries are Spanish style – well, the ones in California are where I’ve done most of my winery visits in your country (a couple in Oregon and a couple in New Mexico – and yes, they do have wineries in New Mexico and quite good ones at that).

    I can’t understand going to a winery and drinking something other than wine. That’s just me, of course. There are few places I visit where I don’t drink wine (coffee shops for example).

    When I first saw your salad I thought, “Ah, calamari salad”, but you informed me they were walnuts. Giant ones indeed.

    Sitting outside would certainly be the go, if it was a fine day, that is, and it looks as if it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, I guess the architecture there did look Spanish. Well I'm not as traveled as yourself, this is the only winery I've ever visited. But I did drink wine, that's the only alcohol they served. Mine wasn't served traditionally, it was frozen but it was still wine.. ๐Ÿ˜‰

      Delete
  10. Beautiful venue and the food looks excellent! Seems like someone always has to bring it down. We have an 86 year old that plays rummikub with us and every. single .game. says we are not playing by the rules, so now I pull them out and show her. I want to tell her to shut up, but she is my elder…. Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Joyce and for sharing your own story. Well, if Daria was in her 80s I would try to overlook it, but she's closer to my age. All I know is this is the third lunch where she has complained about the subpar menu, food, etc. I understand the need to get out and be with people, but I will not allow her to make me that uncomfortable again.

      Delete
  11. There always has to be a Daria downer in every crown (I would have said Debby, but if the shoe fits...) Make sure you wait until she is seated before you do, perhaps you can sit a good distance away.
    Your salad looks absolutely delicious! As does your pizza. I'm sorry you weren't able to enjoy it as you would have liked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maebeme, and the shoe does indeed fit, haha. Yes that salad was delicious (they served a lot of fresh baked bread and dipping oil too). As for the pizza, I had it for my dinner today after reheating it in a double boiler to make it softer on the jaw. It was delicious. :^)

      Delete
  12. Hi Dug! Loved this post... and the pics! Beautiful place and even though I can't drink wine (migraines), that drink looked delicious! And to be honest, I thought both the salad and the pizza looked wonderful. Since my recentl dental issues, I've been eating soft foods and perhaps (you'll probably laugh at this) dipping your pizza in something (coffee or tea? maybe even wine?) would soften it enough to help. I do this with toast when having dental or jaw problems. Sorry about Daria.. my advice with people like that is to distance yourself from them as much as much as you can. But in general it looked like a beautiful outing... and it's good for you to get out - whenever it's even slightly possible. ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rian, thanks for your kind comment! I was just telling a friend earlier today that I was surprised that drink didn't give me a headache, as wine always does. Maybe it's because it was frozen, or made with raspberries I don't know. But it was a beautiful place to visit in the food was delicious. I don't have dental issues like yourself, but I do have jaw difficulties. So I brought that pizza home and reheated it in a double boiler to make it softer, it came out absolute perfect. I just loved it. Thanks again Rian, I sure hope you're doing good. ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  13. I’m so glad you got out and enjoyed the green and calming outdoors. Too bad there is always someone around to put a damper on the day. Your salad & pizza looked delicious. Prayer for your LC to be over & done. DL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DL, so true about these downers but it was still a special day. You're very kind, thank you for your good wishes. ๐Ÿ˜Š

      Delete
    2. The next time Darla jumps in there, just say 'Opinions are like hiney holes, Darla, and yours stinks.'

      Delete

Thanks so much for your feedback! :^)