Thursday, September 24, 2026

Reverend Doug and his blessed trip to Cracker Barrel

Yesterday (Wednesday) I was blessed with a reduction in long covid symptoms, so I figured it was safe to venture out and go on that senior lunch outing to Cracker Barrel, in Cranberry Township.  

It may not have been as picturesque as last weeks Narcisi Winery, the food wasn't as fancy, but it was still a joyous trip. The day was cool but sunny, the ride was shorter and more fun, my lunch pals Paul & Dennis were there and always make things more enjoyable.

Something strange happened on my way to the senior center and then again inside the place.  About halfway there, a woman passed me on the street and said "Good morning Reverend."

Wait, did she just call me Reverend?  She was gone before I could say good morning back or bless her, so I just kept going.  

When I got to the senior center, Paul was there, engaged in a conversation with a new member, a man I met a week ago.  Paul came up to me and said "I told Bob you're our new pastor."  I think my white collar was giving people the wrong idea or something?  Anyway, here's a few boring pics of the day.

After we arrived at Cracker Barrel in Cranberry Township; pardon my blurry finger


While the women piled into the gift shop,  Paul ordered some wine, Dennis a beer and I got this new Fall item, "Granny's Apple Tea".  Very appley, very sweet.  


Here's one of Pearl, back from the gift shop.  It's strange, we live in the same apartment building, on the same floor.  Yet this is only the second time I've seen her since last December.


Here's one of the wall above Paul's head, I was trying to get a closer look at those curious baskets.  EDIT: Snowshoes!  Duh!  Thank you Kimba & Bobi!


My meal--fried chicken tenders and a "loaded" baked potato.  I've had better loaded potatoes, but loved those green onions and gobbled it down.  Those chicken tenders were juicy and seasoned just right, the best chicken I've had in a long time.  They were also bigger than you think, after two of them I was stuffed!  


I got a box to take the rest of my chicken home, and as long as I was there I bought a $5.00 TakeHome dinner for tomorrow.  (Actually, we all did--everyone got meatloaf except for me, only because I had meatloaf this past weekend.)

When our server brought out mine, she included a bag of hot corn muffins and told me my apple tea was on the house.  When I asked why, she said "Just because" and smiled at me.  Honestly, I don't know why.


After everyone was finished, Paul told Dennis "We've got an hour before our shuttle returns, there's a cantina across the highway, you up for some margaritas?"  Dennis handed me his food bag and off they went.

(I had to text them when Access arrived 10 minutes early--"Get back here or we're leaving without you!"  I swear to God, Dennis was so tipsy he was blurry!)

I sat outside on one of Cracker Barrel's rocking chairs and chatted with Rose and Claire for a good hour, what kind, funny ladies.  My LC symptoms started up again around 8pm, I think there was too much activity earlier, oh well.  All I know is, for the day at least, I felt blessed.

8 comments:

  1. Doug, you do look reverential in that collarless shirt. I'm glad the LC symptoms subsided enough for you to enjoy your lunch outing with the gang. Your meal looks delicious (what kind of dipping sauce for the tenders?). I'm also curious about those basketty things on the wall; they look vaguely native. I wasn't surprised Dennis would be off like a shot when booze is concerned. Lol. Great that you had a good time. Take care, buddy.
    Steve from Toronto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. It was sweet of the waitress to not charge you for the apple tea.

      Delete
    2. Steve you are such a good guy, thank you my friend. 😊 Those dipping sauces were honey mustard, BBQ sauce and a "hot maple syrup" that I did not order, but boy I really liked, it was like liquid pepper! As for Dennis, he is pretty entertaining when he's mashed but I'd give anything if he stopped. 🙏

      Delete
  2. Wait - when did Cracker Barrel start serving alcohol?? Shocking! So funny that you were sending out Reverend vibes! And I’m super curious to know why your apple tea was on the house AND you got complimentary corn muffs! You are a blessed man!😂 I think those baskets could be snow shoes maybe? So glad you had a brief reprieve from LC and that it came on a day when you could really enjoy it since you had a “field trip” with the senior center. Praying for more good days for you, Reverend Doug! Kimba🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimba Kayak and YES you're right, snow shoes! I almost texted you that pic from the table! As for CB serving alcohol, I think Dennis and Paul were just as shocked--they each had a bunch though, why'd they run out for more? And haha "field trip", I love it. Appreciate your kind words and prayers my friend, thanks again. 😊🤎🙏

      Delete
  3. Kimba already said what I was thinking, those baskets look like snow shoes and Cracker Barrel serves alcohol?? Hooray that you got to make the trip and congratulations on your new title, Rev. Doug!😂😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks Bobi! Gosh I feel like such a dunce with those snow shoes! 😄 Much appreciate the good thoughts my friend AND the cool 10-4 decal which now adorns my tablets front, heh! 💚🙏

      Delete
  4. Oh, Dug... your first sentence mentioning "a reduction in LC symptoms" made my day... (although I realize it didn't last). At least it lasted long enough to enjoy an outing! What's the expression, "thank God for small favors". Your white collarless shirt does make you look a little pastor-like. Wouldn't hurt to just say "Have a blessed day" back. (ha!)
    The food looks good. And I'll bet the free tea was due to your 'white collar'... or she just thought you were cute.
    As for Dennis and his cantina - glad you stayed and enjoyed a quiet time in the rockers with Rose and Claire. That was a good choice. Hope you have more days like that. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment, it means a lot.