When this all began, I set out mason jars of apple cider vinegar with a drop of dish soap in both the kitchen and bathroom, where I got attacked the most. A couple people recommended pouring Arm & Hammer Baking Soda down the drains, followed by white vinegar--I loved the fizzy action, but I think the bugs did too.
The mason jars only collected 3-4 bugs a day, and it got to the point where the bugs were LITERALLY lined up on the top of my refrigerator door, dancing back and forth like it was Radio City Music Hall and they were the Rockettes! Why, why??
If you knew me in the real world, I am a very, very clean person. I wipe down everything with hot soapy water and Clorox wipes daily--including my appliances.
I noticed the bugs weren't getting near my food, but did kamikaze flights into whatever I was drinking. I wound up buying a sippy cup for my coffee, tea, ginger ale--everything.I also noticed they were attracted to light. If I was in bed with my tablet, they bounced off the screen. If I was in the living room on my laptop (where I need my eyeglasses) they would dive-bomb my face, over and over! The reflection of the screen on my spectacles, I'm guessing.
That's when I remembered a bug light I bought 7-8 years ago when I first moved in here and discovered I had a gnat problem. It was like a mini merry go round, with a strong light underneath and a sticky white base. Thankfully I found it in the back of my apt's storage locker, the bulb still worked and included an unopened pack of those sticky bases.
I decided to put it on the bookcase that separates my kitchen and dining room from my living room. Maybe those mini-monsters would take a detour from the kitchen before attacking me on the couch!
I decided to leave it on 24-7, and after the first night there were 48 buggos in there the next morning
And the morning after that, this pad had an additional 50 victims, nearly 100 total. I swapped it out for a new one, and began pouring pots of boiling water down both drains and closing them off when not in use. When I got up this morning, the sticky pad had only 5-6 dive bombers. I'm going to keep on until there's zero.
One good thing came from this; I like having a light on that bookcase, a normally dark area in my place. I ordered a small bookcase lamp to place on an upper shelf. I also discovered I prefer my coffee in that thermal mug. I normally reheat my coffee several times in the microwave to keep it hot, now I don't have to.
Meanwhile, it's doubtful I'll be going on the next senior lunch outing this Wednesday unless there's a big turnaround. The day I went last week to the Winery, my pain number (from the long covid) was at a 2-3. Uncomfortable, but didn't hold me back.
It remained the same the next day, and dropped down to a solid 2 on Friday. When it's a 1-2, I start feeling hopeful. However, by midday Saturday it had gone up to a 4, and by Sunday morning a 4-5. I spent the morning sucking on Riccola lemon lozenges and holding ice packs to my face and side of my head. It's 10 times more stubborn than these damn fruit fleas.
Anyway as long as I'm bugging I mean blogging, here's a photo of Sunday dinner. I marinated a couple chicken thighs overnight, cooked 'em in my junior air fryer for 22 minutes. I just love that contraption. And for the record, those red mashed potatoes are the real deal.





Doug, I didn’t know you could get bug lights for indoors. Lucky you had one put away. Sorry you don’t feel well enough to go on the senior centre outing. Long Covid sucks.❤️
ReplyDeleteThank you Robin, you're a dear. Long covid does suck, but I'm actually in good spirits right now. It has calmed down and I have not seen a single bug this morning! I even walked to the store in the rain and got some tasty Hogwarts chocolate hazelnut coffee creamer. Hope you and Chuck are doing good. 💜🤎
DeleteDoug, I am so happy to hear you are having a good day today!❤️
Delete🥰 Thank you Robin 😊
DeleteI really don't know how you stand that LC pain. I got bit/stung by something near my temple while biking and the pain is driving me crazy. I was actually thinking of you and your pain before I read this. You are a real trooper, I honestly don't know how you stand it!
ReplyDeleteAs for your bug situation, I don't know why I didn't comment on your other post but coincidently, our credit union office has been suffering a similar infestation and they have bug zappers going in all the offices, they said it started when a customer brought them homegrown flowers. Always enjoy your food porn, but gotta tell you, I hate limas, I'd rather see your pretty roasted broccoli.😀
Thank you Bobi, it goes up and down throughout the day which helps you get through the day. I just got home from the store a couple minutes ago, and I was so happy to get that awesome sticker and Amish postcards in the mail from you! You are a sweetheart thank you very much! And thank you for the food porn remark it made me laugh, I did just get a couple more packs of broccoli for future recipes, I am done with the lima beans too! Thanks again my friend 😆👍👍
DeleteFirst a big WOW on the homemade mashed potatoes! You were the one who recommended the red mashed potatoes in the packet and when I looked at the photo I thought "mine don't look like that".
ReplyDeleteI usually end up like you using every home remedy in the books trying to stay green yet eliminate those pesky bugs. Then I close my eyes and let my husband take over with toxic chemicals. Your solution was so much better! I am glad you are eliminating those buggers.
I am so sorry about the LC. Actually ANGRY on your behalf. Why. Why. Why. I hate that it is impacting your life like this . It is so unfair. I'm so sorry.
Thank you Miss Merry, you are a dear. Okay, this is too funny about the mashed potatoes. I originally wanted the packet! I think they're easy and tasty, but my store was out of them last week so I wound up buying a bag of those little red potatoes. I wasn't planning to mash them but I just got a craving. And I very much appreciate your sweet words about the LC, it's not bad right now plus I'm in good spirits over the demise of those infernal bugs! 🙂
DeleteFirst, I need to say that your food looks so good. My stomach hasn't been well for the last 2 days so I'm back on tea and toast. But I do like baby lima beans and haven't had them in a very long time... may get some when eating normal again.
ReplyDeleteAs for the bugs, we do have them too... maybe not as bad, but you are right in that they are attracted by light. DH has been buying something you plug into the wall and it also has filters which are sometimes covered with gnats. But some good came from it... new lamp for bookcase and a good thermal cup!
And I was just praying for your LC to 'cease and desist'... apparently not working, but will keep trying. Sending healing vibes! : )
Rian you're such a dear friend, thank you... but I'm very sorry about your stomach. Last week mine was upset for 3 days then I got some Pepto Bismo which really helped. Anyway, I'm glad someone liked my baby limas, haha. I actually wanted to cream them like my grandma always did, cook them in a flour cream sauce with lots of pepper. But after making those mashed potatoes by hand I was done cooking. Thank you for your good wishes about the LC my friend, I hope you know you're in my prayers everyday. 🙂
DeleteDoug, I'm surprised you didn't hit upon the idea of using that bug trap sooner, but better late than never. Glad that it worked and you've one less problem to deal with. That chicken thigh looks tasty as does the mashed red potatoes. I'm one of the few people who like lima beans, if they're nicely seasoned (is that a glob of sour cream on yours?). Hope you'll have LC symptomless days ahead, my friend.
ReplyDeleteSteve from Toronto
Steve, thank you my friend, I was just getting ready to sign off when your kind comment appeared. Yes I honestly forgot about that bug light, it was from 2017! But it's still just as effective. And I'm glad to know another lima fan. My grandmother used to cook them for my dad in a cream of flour, butter and pepper. I went the lazy route and yep, a glob of sour cream. Hope you are well. 🙂
DeleteFruit flies are such an annoyance! Luckily I’ve never had to deal with them in my home, but I have at the office. If I may, I’d like to offer a suggestion for the sticky traps when you’re done with them. Fold them in half so it sticks to itself or place the sticky side against the inside of the plastic trash bag when you dispose of them. Sticky traps often have unintended victims such as birds after they’ve been thrown out.
ReplyDeleteOn another topic, love the Star Trek book! I have it myself! There’s a new ST book coming out in a few months that sounds promising to me: Star Trek: The Original Voyages: A Visual History. I found it with a nice discount, so I preordered it. I try not to order too many books, but it’s original Trek!
Thanks Jase, and as a matter of fact I press those used sticky circles on a foot square of paper bag before tossing them. I know they're a hazard. As for that second Trek book you mentioned, thanks! I'm going to look that up right now! Live long and prosper my friend. 🙂🖖
DeleteNo bug will defeat you, Doug! I'm glad you found a solution. It's so annoying to have those pests. I periodically have trouble with the small black ants. They're a real nuisance! I'm sorry that the discomfort/pain level has ramped up. :( I want you to be able to do what you want and not be held back by Long Covid. As for the mug, I swear by my Yeti and other insulated mugs since I prefer my coffee piping hot. Sending big hugs!
ReplyDeleteThanks Margaret, much appreciated! I hope you know how much your friendship means to me. 🙂🤎
DeleteAs I mentioned in an earlier comment I’m not bothered by fruit flies – the various state governments are really good at keeping their numbers done.
ReplyDeleteHowever, regular flies are a different matter. I remember about 10 years ago I had inadvertently left three empty wine bottles on the dining room table before a 2 month’s visit to my sister in San Francisco.
Well, the wine bottles weren’t really empty, there were still some dregs in them. I returned to find each bottle with 40 or 50 dead flies in each of them. I imagine they died happy.
My Sunday lunch (I don’t do dinners anymore) was duck breast that had been marinated in a Peking Duck style marinade – I buy them ready prepared from my butcher). I served it with an accompaniment I concocted myself – half and half hoi-sin sauce and plum sauce. Into that a small splash of sesame oil and rice wine vinegar. Mix.
Julienne (cut into thin slices) a cucumber and some spring onions (green onions).
This all approximates a real Peking duck (without the pancakes). Although I haven’t managed to get the skin as crispy as the real thing.
A good pinot noir with this, of course.
Your duck sounded delicious Peter, I wish I had the talent or courage to cook such a thing myself. I am no gourmet, just a 64 year old country boy. As for the fruit flies, this was my very first time dealing with an infestation. I think it was just an anomaly, certainly not the norm! 🙂
Delete