Sunday, February 3, 2008

I’ve seen the future, and everything’s so fast!

 

It's enough to make you want to scream.  After discovering I was the last person on this planet that was still using dial-up, I finally took the plunge & signed up for high-speed internet. 

I wasn't expecting any surprises; I've been using dial-up since 1998, but we have faster access in the office.  (Besides, I signed up for 'medium DSL', which I presumed would still be a lot slower than at work, but maybe a little better than what I have at home; hey, it's still the same phone line, right?)

Um...wrong!

I couldn't be more amazed.  I go online, visit my blog here, it pops up instantly, no waiting.  I visit YouTube; will I only have to wait 10 minutes instead of a half-hour to see a 3 minute video?  No wait at all--it's instant.   I visit my sisters online photo albums, then I attempt to download a 3MB Windows software file.  (On dial-up it would've taken a couple hours, now it transfers in...20 seconds?) 

I’m dizzy at the speed of it all, I call Verizon:  "Hey, I only signed up for medium-speed connection here!"  They check my line.  It's correct.  "Mr. Morris, welcome to DSL."

 

The evolution of man?  No, ApacheDug--that’s me, right there in the middle!  Well, I was the middle brother anyway—at least I’m walking upright, right?

However, that was all Friday evening.  I happily go to bed around midnight, anticipating a big Saturday breakfast, playing on the internet all day & having sloppy joes for supper--only to wake up the next morning sick as a dog.   (I think it's the flu, I can barely lift my head.)  It's enough to make you want to scream.  

Part Two: Looking back (& ahead)

Having nothing better to do today (other than sit here on the couch wrapped up in my blankie with a box of Kleenex and feel sorry for myself), I've been checking out the various photos & posts on the teepee.  Frankly I'm a little surprised.  There really is an emphasis on the past here,  moreso than the present (let alone the future). 

And I don't feel guilty about it!  When I first set up the teepee, the idea was to 'catalog' my family's history, along with my own personal background… I just wanted to leave a tiny thumbprint out there.    

 

 

I could take it even further and write a book about my family, oh the stories I could tell!  And really, who doesn't want to read all about the Morris Family?

Well, much like the DSL I just got, I have to start approaching the present...not only on here, but in my physical life too.  

I've GOT to get in gear about:

  • Adopting a healthier lifestyle & dropping 20 lbs.
  • Getting this place fixed up--I have the money, I know what I want to do; I just need to actually do it.
  • Stop finding excuses to stay at home so much, and get out more.  (My car & license are both 4 years old; I've only driven 13,000 miles.)
  • Decide if I'm going to pursue dating anytime soon, or be content remaining single.

"And if you look over here, you'll see where I talk about all the girls I dated in high school...see, it’s not so bad living in the past now, is it!”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.