Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Losing my teeth and dealing with a touch of ageism, all rolled into one

Darn it, I’m a little down, a little worried.  A couple days ago I was eating a tuna sandwich, when the crown on my third molar on the bottom left broke and came off.  (That’s the one with the big red X.)

When I went to get it re-cemented, my new dentist told me she couldn’t do that; the tooth beneath was fractured in several places and would have to come out.  That’s what happened to the second molar on that side in 2010, and to the FIRST molar on that side in 1990. 

Just one month ago was my first teeth cleaning since 2017—I hated not being able to go to the dentist for 3 years, but it’s taken that long to recover enough from TMJD to get my jaw opening wide enough again.  Anyway, in those 3 years my dentist of 25 years had retired and his former office only does x-rays & cleanings now. 

So when my crown broke, I was tasked with finding a new dentist, pronto.

I lucked out and found a dentist who is new to my neighborhood, across from the library.  I have to admit, when I saw her photo and read her bio, I was hesitant.  She’s tall, slender, blonde and married with 3 blonde daughters, all under the age of 12.  She’s as waspy as they come.

There’s nothing wrong with that of course, but my former dentist was an older gentleman, gay as he was Jewish.  He could be quite dramatic and we got along like bread & butter.

It turns out Dr. Shannon is as kind as she is smart.  In fact, she radiates such good vibes that I liked her 30 seconds after meeting her. 

I just didn’t like the news she delivered, that my LAST tooth on the bottom left has to be pulled.  The partial denture I’ve worn for 10 years was molded to attach precisely onto that tooth.  It cannot be altered, so it feels more like I’ve lost 3 teeth.  

Here’s my partial, now rendered useless.  This cost me $750 ten years ago!

She wrote a referral to have an oral surgeon pull it and implant a ‘locator’, a brassy knob where a new partial can be anchored.

But I KNOW the oral surgeon I’m being sent to, and he’s going to tell me I don’t have the bone mass for a locator, let alone a $4,000.00 tooth implant.

(I visited him 5-6 years ago to see about getting a couple of implants and was told I wasn’t a good candidate.)

Dr. Shannon “polished down” the jagged remnant to be level with my gumline, so now it’s like I don’t have any teeth there already.  It’s difficult to chew on that side now, my bite is really lopsided.

It’s also embarrassing.  I’ve always brushed regularly, gargled with Listerine (or Natural Dentist) mouthwash daily.  But I did smoke for years before quitting in 2008, and smokers are 3-5 times more likely to lose their teeth than non-smokers. 

Anyway…. I’m putting off that oral surgeon for a few days, until Joe & Kamala’s inauguration is over! 

Gee I never got around to the ageism thing.  When I arrived at Dr. Shannon’s office, there was a sign on the door saying I couldn’t enter because of the pandemic; I’d have to call the number provided and the receptionist would let me in.

I stood there, unsure what to do as I currently don’t have a cellphone.  The door suddenly opened and the receptionist welcomed me in.  I apologized for being unable to call from outside.

She said “That’s okay sir, when I saw you out here I guessed you might be confused or didn’t have a phone.  A lot of our older patients don’t.”   

Older patient??  My hair’s mostly gray now but I’m still a whippersnapper!  Still, she looked around 20 so…. you know.

After I hung my coat, she handed me a tablet to enter my patient information, and asked if I’d ever used an ipad before.  When I said no, she patted my wrist and said “Well don’t worry, they’re very simple” and proceeded to show me how to dab or swipe a touch screen.  I didn’t say a word.

It’s true I’ve never owned or used an ipad, but I’ve been going to bed with a sexy Android tablet for a few years now, and I suspect they work pretty much the same!

 

29 comments:

  1. My brother-in-law David was my dentist for over 30 years. He retired and I have been going to the DDS he referred his patients. I forgot how much I hated dentists before David. Sounds like you've got a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Annie you lucked out, wow 30 years! But you know what's it like to put all your trust in one person for many years and lose it. Anyway, thank you I hope I lucked out, time will tell :)

      Delete
  2. I feel for you. I still feel as if I got away with something if they don't card me for alcohol. I also have nearly decked someone that asked which one was my grandkid as I was waiting to pick up my youngest daughter from school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Ed, you look very young to some but older than you are to others? As for me, I think it's just my darn white hair. If I wasn't retired, I might be trying some of that Grecian Formula for Men :)

      Delete
    2. Oh, I'm positive I look young to no one except maybe my dad. I meant that whenever I'm not carded, I FEEL young and feel like I did when I was much younger and didn't get carded, like I pulled one past them. Quickly damped by the grandparent comment though.

      Delete
    3. Haha I know that feeling... :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Dug, I hate going to the dentist. It's my least favorite thing ever... but we do go and have our teeth cleaning every 6 months, etc. Our original dentist passed away and our new dentist is a young (in her 40's?), pretty blonde also. But she is great... extremely caring and very gentle. She has made me less hesitant to going. However, for whatever reason she is not on any insurance network, so tends to be expensive. DH has some implants and yes they had to graph some bone for his too. It is not cheap... but generally will let you do a payment plan. You might be able to not do anything if it was one tooth, but 3 - I don't know. So sorry to hear this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rian...I have no idea what's going to happen yet. I was wondering about those bone grafts too, but that oral surgeon I saw a couple years ago just shook his head no. I wonder why? I'll be very curious to see what I can get there.

      Delete
  4. Too bad about your teeth. I have 3 dental implants on my right side. My left side is okay. Don't know why my right side is so bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi I actually thought of you when this happened--I know you had 1 implant, I didn't know you had 3. Did you need bone grafts? Did you have dental insurance that helped cover it? I'd prefer implants over a 3 tooth partial.

      Delete
    2. I have good bones in my jaw, but still needed bone grafts. I have dental insurance, so that cut the cost. There is a 1 year warranty on the crowns, too, so if I am not happy with them, I can have new ones installed with no cost.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Gigi, I appreciate that. You're fortunate, when I asked about those bone grafts, he told me he "nope, your tooth losses are decades old". But my new dentist says there have been changes in the last few years, so we'll see :)

      Delete
    4. Good luck, Doug. Prayers for you.

      Delete
  5. Good luck with your teeth! They're a pain -- aren't they? -- but we do need them if we're going to eat. Flossing is the most important thing, according to my dentist. Anyways, I got an implant once. Uber-expensive. And no fun. But it's lasted ten years and still going so I guess I shouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom and yes they are a pain--I have a couple rods in my upper teeth and 2 ceramic bridges up there! I admit I've always been lousy with flossing. Well, I'd love to get one of those implants... I'm going to be asking a lot of questions when I get this tooth pulled.

      Delete
  6. Ouch, no fun at all going to the dentist and to break in a new one even less fun. Hope she works out for you. I have no molars at all on the bottom so the ones up top are wasting their time but it is amazing how you will adjust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Patti, thank you--I appreciate your openness here & honesty, to be be honest I needed to hear it. I worried about sharing this here, but I'm glad now I did. Thanks again.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! It sounds stressful and scary. Not to mention expensive! I hope that something will work out to give you some teeth back. You're such a nice guy and don't deserve to be struggling with jaw and teeth issues!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, thank you! It is scary, but you're very sweet & this sure was nice of you to say. :)

      Delete
  8. I looked after my teeth as well as you did yours, but still I have lost far too many. I also have no bone mass for implants as my teeth were pulled so many years ago, the bone has shrunk to almost nothing. My teeth are my mothers, she had so much trouble she had the whole lot pulled and full upper and lower dentures when I was six, so she must have been only 32. I'm lucky to have kept as many as I have this far. I have a partial denture with three front teeth, and most lower molars are just missing, no denture yet, but I'm thinking of getting some made this year so I have chewing teeth again. In spite of all that I do still have 5 teeth that have never needed any dental work! Yay me. I hope your new denture fits well and is comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh River, I'm so sorry for your loss (and your mom) but this sounds more common than I thought. I appreciate you sharing that with me, it helps. I feel a lot less alone. Your implant story is the EXACT same as mine, and I hope you get some chewing teeth again. Thanks again.

      Delete
  9. Sorry to hear you lost another ivory friend, Doug. (Or is 'Dug' the correct spelling?) I'm sure your new dentist will work out fine. Being a small mouth bass, I prefer a dentist with small and gentle hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my dental drivel Florence, I just wish I knew what lay ahead. At least we'll be seeing some big & positive change, beginning today :-)

      Delete
  10. OMG you're hilarious and I can mos def relate... to it all. During early Pandemic I was eating a forbidden piece of sticky candy {I'm an Insulin Diabetic so it was some Bad Karma I'm sure} and it pulled an Old Crown off. The Dentists were closed in AZ for Months, lucky for me it could be glued back on when they finally opened again to receive Patients. Then... yet another Pandemic Dental Emergency when a Molar just went Bad and the Root Canal sounded torturous and too expensive to pull off anyway so I just had a much cheaper extraction instead. Still getting used to having that gap and chew change... Ageism is a Bitch, ain't it? That said, Old Age is a Privilege not afforded to many, so no complaints from me... I'm told by the Young that since I'm an Old Hippie Great-Grandma with Dreadlocks, I'm still pretty Cool and not your Garden Variety Senior... I'll take it. *Winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--thanks Bohemian, I like your style--this was a fun read as well. Oh yeah, sticky candy--I have 2 upper bridges, that is taboo!! Thanks for your groovy comment here! :^)

      Delete
  11. Oh gooosh... Doug... I’m so sorry. This is hard. I’m so glad you found a dentist you like though. Funny how all the dentists at the clinic I go to look like women. And they’re great. Unfortunately, we haven’t been to the dentist since fall of 2019. This is not good. I’m just hoping our teeth are not going BAD without us knowing, but it’s too spooky. I’m waiting until we get vaccinated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay... well if you can wait, I think that's smart. I was embarrassed for sharing this here, but some of the comments have been really useful so I'm glad I did. :)

      Delete
  12. Sorry to read of your dental woes and do hope they all work out well for you. I’ve gone to the same dentist office for almost fifty years. He took over the practice when our other dentist who had developed hand tremors also retired. I’ve had the extremes with dentists but was fortunate my very first when I was quite young was super sensitive to my feelings in the days before numbing injections were given during deep fillings. As a pre-teen I had a dentist straight out of an old b&w horror movie, an office in the room of an old house, who extracted one of my molars probably needlessly. We learned after we moved away that he had been arrested, institutionalized due to some mental problems and had been pulling peoples teeth inappropriately. Incidentally, the effects of that extraction likely caused my jaw issues worsening years later, described as TMJ, but I’ve managed to avoid some of the more severe consequences of that. It may contribute to periodic sinus issues. I had a number of years with no dental care so when i was financially able to obtain it for myself that dentist brought my dentition up to par, including filling the gap of that pulled tooth, having to legitimately replace an upper one toward the front of my mouth and giving me a few fillings. I’ve kept my dental care current since with appointments twice a year. Recent years have required two root canals but a third this year was deferred when X-rays did not reveal the canal. My dentist agreed to glue, one more time, the broken off tooth which I thought most appropriate presently. Of course, if ultimately I have to let them search for this canal it wont get any easier. Apparently when we age the canals can narrow, get lost so to speak, which I hadn’t known.

    Providing swallowing therapy was one area of treatment provided by my therapy discipline when I worked. Too many times my older patients eating problems could be attributed to a variety of dental issues limiting the foods they could eat, causing them to have chewing problems placing them at risk for choking and other complications. So, I take very good care to keep as many teeth in my mouth as possible as imperfect as they are. The condition of our dentition significantly impacts the quality of our life as we get older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gosh Joared, that was quite the saga with that one dentist (and scary, I have heard of dentists out to make a profit by wrecking people's teeth, in fact there's a big story about it in this month's Reader's Digest). Well, I'm very sorry you've had to deal with so many issues yourself... a couple years ago I gave much thought to having all my teeth pulled, but was talked out of it by a dentist who told me how living with full dentures is no easy task. Like you, trying to take care of what teeth I have left and just keeping my fingers crossed...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.