A lifetime ago when we only had 3 or 4 channels on TV, I lived for Saturday nights on CBS. All in the Family & MASH from 8-9pm, Mary Tyler Moore at 9, The Bob Newhart Show at 9:30. Oh and The Carol Burnett Show at 10pm, that was my sister Shawn’s favorite.
Often, my mom would send me upstairs to tell my older brother Duke his favorite show was about to start. I’d knock on his bedroom door, the clacking of his typewriter would stop. I’d yell thru the wood “Duke, All in the Family is about to start…” He’d bark back “I’m busy! I have to finish writing my novel or I’ll never become a celebrated author and get the hell out of this rural sh-thole!”
I’d yell back “But tonight’s the episode where Archie meets Mike’s study partner who’s a liberal AND a homosexual! You missed it the first time ‘round!” He’d yell “Oh! Alright, I’m coming!”
My favorite was Mary Tyler Moore (who I loved and still do) but when I grew up I wanted to be Bob Newhart more than anything. Well, his character Bob Hartley. Live in a big city, work in an office downtown and come home to my modern high-rise apartment and sexy as heck wife Suzanne Pleshette.
Well, I didn’t get Suzanne but I DID wind up moving to the city and working in some nice offices downtown for 30 years… and I’m typing this from my high-rise apartment!
- What’s in the box: All 6 seasons from 1972-1978, a bonus disc containing the unaired pilot, a ‘Making Of’ documentary, a blooper reel and two anniversary specials. 25 DVDs total.
- Did you know: Do you remember how primetime tv shows had a ‘Christmas episode’? The Bob Newhart Show had one for each of it’s six seasons.
- Anything else? Yes, a surprisingly nice book on the history of the show
- Price: $43.18 (the “Buy it Now” price which included shipping)
- Bought at: Ebay.com
- Who should I thank: Shout Factory, who produced the set and I suppose my sister Shawn too, who inspired me to look on Ebay. A few weeks ago she asked if I still had an active Ebay account, there was a rare Helen Reddy CD she wanted but didn’t want to reactivate her account. (I said I was sorry, closed my own account years prior. Her daughter-in-law Jessica purchased the CD.) But it made me think, I’ve had this Bob Newhart boxed-set in my Amazon cart for 5-6 months, waiting for the price to drop. I looked on Ebay and sure enough, a seller had 3 of these (factory sealed) at less than HALF of Amazon’s price!
Well, I hope everyone out there has a Happy, Healthy New Year and a much better year ahead. As for me, I’ll be spending the day in my robe, on my couch watching Bob here in his robe, on his couch. I’ll probably be wearing the same expression too, knowing we have 20 more days of you-know-who!