Monday, January 4, 2021

Here, in the year of our Lord 2021… how shall I continue to write my blog?

It’s hard to believe, but I am starting my 16th year of this blog.  For many of those years I wrote for myself only, as I didn’t have an audience.  I knew some of my blogs were too long, or childish—what did I care?  I was happily surprised if I got 2-3 visits total in as many days.

Eventually I got tired of hearing myself talk and began looking for blogs similar to my own.  Personal blogs that didn’t focus on model airplanes or 1960’s television or early retirement, just people like myself, sharing their lives. 

I was fortunate to find several I’ve enjoyed reading, it’s been great getting to know these kindred souls.

But I can’t deny that as I’ve gotten more attention here, it’s had an impact on what I share (or how I share it).  For example, the other week I was watching the news (ABC News, hope that’s real enough) and there was a segment on Donald Trump’s latest effort to overturn the election, which got me fired up enough to come on here and share some of MY feelings about him, before he rides off into the sunset. 

Then I worried I’d offend one or two Conservatives that visit my blog, so I wrote about a childhood bully instead (and uitimately how the two relate). 

I was able to get some of my feelings out, but I definitely stifled the dingbat in me.  (Darn it, I don’t like to stifle my dingbat!)

More & more lately I’m questioning everything I share; I saw an old tv-movie a couple nights ago that surprised me and I wanted to write about it here.  Am I going to bore people to tears if I do?  I’m guessing probably.  I’ve started it—stopped it—started it 2-3 times already.  What to do, what to do…

This reminds me of something that occurred a year or so ago, when I saw a young woman in my apartment building’s lobby in her underwear.  (I wrote about it here.)  A friend of mine saw my blog about it and accused me of sounding more & more like a grumpy old man; I made myself a promise to write “younger”. 

And then the next couple weeks I wound up feeling stymied.   Darn it, grumpy old man or middle aged nerd, I gotta be me.

Trump, Pence, McConnell, Trump… Cruz, Trump, Flynn, Trump… TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!!!

NOW I feel better! 

I always assumed people that visited here more than once or twice knew who I was: a single man nearing 60, a moderate manic Democrat with liberal leanings, an agnostic with a flair for the dramatic!

And (until Trump came along) believed I could get along with just about anyone.  I know now that’s not the case. 

I just want to share my feelings on here without having to listen or provide a soapbox for people who’s political beliefs differ from my own.  Everything else… great!

Do you really believe alien beings are coming to swoop you off planet Earth with the next comet?  Fascinating, tell me more!  

Do you honestly think the human female form is a higher step in the evolutionary process and human males are still Cro-Magnon?  I’m beginning to think so too! 

Are you really a Trump supporter after all the diabolical crap he & the GOP have pulled these past 4 years?  Amazing, now go away.

Where was I going with all this?  I’m not even sure anymore.  I guess I’m just posting a disclaimer that topics here in 2021 may be anti-Trump, mental and/or boring.  As Sammy Davis Jr sings below… you know!

28 comments:

  1. Dear ApacheDug, bet there's alot of bloggers who have the same blogging experiences you do - thing is, not everyone is up front about it. Why not keep on blogging anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone entering my 18th year of blogging, I've seen it all I think. I've had people call me a liberal communist and others call me a right wing nut. But overall, the vast majority of people I do talk politics too on blogger are willing to listen and agree to disagree on point where we can't find common ground. As probably one of the more conservative people (at least fiscally) to visit your blog, as with any new blog, the initial comments are testing of the waters. While we may not agree with everything politically, eventually I am able to learn where your boundaries are and try to avoid crossing them as I think anyone should when commenting on someone else's blog.

    But like you, I mostly read other blogs to read about others lives. If I wanted to read more about politics, there are places with a lot more political posts I could go too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ed I have picked that up from you in your comments.. listen, I think you're more diplomatic than many, including me! I'm just trying to admit here that I know my limitations. Throughout my life I tried my best to be open-minded about just about everything, but when 2016 and a certain Donald came along, I decided I was drawing a line in the sand. Anyway Ed, I appreciate your feedback, thanks. :)

      Delete
  3. You being you is why I come here. Keep that up. I have found when I have offended anyone, they sometimes give me a piece of their mind before disappearing. Most often however, I just get support from like minded folks which is great.
    Keep on keeping on Doug and stay just the way you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti I hope you know how much your friendship (and words) mean to me... I appreciate your kindness & honesty so much. You always sum up things so well! So thank you, I WILL keep on keeping on. :^)

      Delete
  4. Dug, I used to have websites where I wrote without feedback (and journals before that) because I simply had to write out what I was feeling just to get it out! And I do understand about not wanting to offend... (people are way too easily offended these days IMO). So I'm very careful about talking about religion or politics... as far as I'm concerned, these things are personal. But I have to say it's hard to keep it all in with what is going on today... and I've gradually loosened my hold (and my words) because as the song says, "I've got to be me". And I try hard to respect other's opinions. But your words, "Are you really a Trump supporter after all the diabolical crap he & the GOP have pulled these past 4 years? Amazing, now go away." - had me laughing and saying... I know. It's so hard to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thank you Rian, and yes, for a long time I was the same; I remember back in 2012 when Mitt Romney was running against Obama. I was very tempted to get on here and share some anti-Republican thoughts, but I thought Mitt Romney was a good man, I just didn't agree with his politics. No sense in stepping on others feelings. That all changed though when Trump came along! I think it's wrong to NOT say anything. Anyway Rian, thanks again, your comment here was very appreciated! :)

      Delete
  5. When you write, you sound like yourself, and I think that's important. Stay true to yourself and your thoughts and beliefs, Doug. Those of us who keep visiting like you just the way you are!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, you're very kind especially as I aspire to be a better writer like yourself. I mean it, thank you :)

      Delete
  6. Well, if your audience does not agree with you, Doug, they can stop reading your stuff. Why do you care so much?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, you always make me smile with your honesty--whenever I hear the expression "tough love" I think of you. You're exactly right--thank you :^)

      Delete
  7. I visit your teepee, Doug, because I like your always authentic self. (The fact that we are birds of a feather in many ways could also be a factor.) As for politics, Trump is so outrageously unethical that it's impossible to look away. And the fact that he's hypnotized so many into supporting him makes for a real life horror film. I live in hope (perhaps naively) that he'll end up doing a prison stint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, we ARE birds of a feather, and I'm flattered you feel that way. And what you said about Trump is so spot-on, it's perfect. My gosh, I couldn't have said it better, thank you!

      Delete
  8. Oh goodness, Doug... You know I think you're fabulous. I'm glad you write what you honestly think and feel and I love talking to you in cyberspace. Please keep writing. I love knowing you're here. And as for Trump, you KNOW how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, thank you so much! Haha fabulous, I love it! Really though, I sure am glad we're fast friends out here, and yes I do know how you feel, so glad we're on the same page!

      Delete
    2. I'm pacing the floor now waiting for Georgia.

      Delete
  9. I say go for it Doug, if there’s anyone who doesn’t like what you say they don’t have to hang around.
    Over time I’ve thought that we’re on a similar wavelength – I rather think of you as my younger American brother. After all, I’m a single man, around 75, left wing politically (it’d be ultra-left in your country but just a bit of a lefty in civilized areas), an atheist. Missed out on the last one, I’m not too dramatic.
    You have to keep blogging as it’s a place where I can vent my spleen, oops sorry, where I can comment.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, thanks so much for your kind words here, I'm always glad when I get to hear from you. I feel like we're peas of a pod too, just one of us is a bit irregular and the other is more musically inclined :) HEY, I wanted to thank you for your "show suggestion"-- I watched the first 3 episodes of "RAKE" yesterday, it's great! I think I was hooked about 10 minutes into the first episode, thanks again.

      Delete
  10. You go right ahead and be you. Those who don't like it can click away and if they post hateful comments you just delete them. I'm about three quarters through my eleventh year blogging and I miss how chatty I was in the beginning, but just can't think of chatty things to write about these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River thanks very much, I always appreciate your feedback. And I know what you mean about not having things to share or chat about, I go thru phases like that too.

      Delete
  11. I really try to write about stuff other than politics and/or religion. I actually mentioned the word "pray" online and was surprised by the reaction. Gosh, I thought even atheist pray sometimes! I see enough of Trump and his minions on TV that I don't want to sully my blog with stuff about him. I will have to check out that series "Rake" since it sounds interesting. I really enjoy your posts and know that it's hard sometimes to strike a balance. You seem to do a great job, IMHO. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, thanks very much for your feedback! I know what an honest person you are, and I'm sitting here reading your comment again and darn it you're right about sullying a blog with politics. I really did have that policy on my own blog as well for the longest time. I seriously need to give that a better try. And yes, try "Rake"! I'll be very anxious to hear what you think. :)

      Delete
  12. I used to have a blog. It's so outdated now and I wouldn't know where to begin again, plus Blogger has changed so much since then. Anyways....do you! If others don't like what you write then they don't have to read it. :-) It's your space to do what you want with it, write what you want. Do you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat, thanks very much for your input--much appreciated. Y'know, when I started this blog back in 2006, I never imagined it would go on this long--but I do enjoy being able to share and getting feedback like yours. Maybe you should come back to it. :)

      Delete
  13. I am still in the camp (I dunno, maybe there aren't many of us left) that says we can all express our views and others can disagree and we can still all get along as long as we're not hateful toward one another. And sometimes we can even change out minds. For example, I didn't used to think that there were aliens swooping down from outer space. But now I'm not so sure. (P.S. I mentioned you in my latest blog post -- hope you don't mind.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tom, I saw your piece (and responded to it) before your nice comment here. Y'know, I always had an open mind with just about everything, including political sides different from my own. I just couldn't when it came to Donald Trump--he was and will always be too much for me. But I liked what you said about swooping aliens, haha!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.