Monday, December 28, 2020

It’s a pretty old subject, so I’ll just say my piece and be done with it

I’ve spent my entire life, for better or worse, being (what I believe is) a nice guy.  It was never an act, I rarely felt like I was being a phony.  I just tried my best to get along with everybody, see their side of things, stand in their shoes. 

There have been a couple exceptions, I’d say the first was all the way back in eighth grade.  One day during fifth period in Mrs. Dascenzo’s class, we returned from lunch and another student (Terrie C) asked me if I’d show her how to draw a horse before our teacher returned. 

(I was known for drawing some, back then.)

After Terrie scooted her desk closer to mine and we began drawing, Jerry E sat down in the desk on my right and scooted closer from the opposite side.  He said “Hey… whatcha doin’” in a throaty sputter (probably from all the moist snuff he dipped, he always reeked of Skoal).

A shudder went thru me as I knew pain was probably forthcoming.  Jerry was bigger, mean & rotten (and I’ve just recently learned, 2 1/2 years older than me).  He should’ve been in high school or better yet reform school, not in my 8th grade class!

Anyway, I calmly said I was giving Terrie an art lesson and he said “Move your hand” and raised the lid of my desk.  He grabbed my wrist then, and while I struggled to pull away, held my hand midway inside then slammed the lid down HARD.  I saw white stars, and he said “Yeah now teach her to draw” and scooted away. 

I remember going to the school nurse (because it was the only time I ever did visit the school nurse) to see if any bones were broken.  When she asked what happened, I told her the truth but knew nothing would come of it; bullies went unpunished then, especially in redneck schools like mine.  My hand ached pretty badly for a couple hours, and I daydreamed some pretty awful revenge scenarios.

In the days that followed, I watched Jerry in gym & Metal Shop, usually as he terrorized someone else.  I’d study his ugly visage and wonder if he was the ‘missing link’ scientists theorized about, as he DID look & act like something between a Neanderthal and human and okay, this ‘standing in another person’s shoes’ was not working because he was clearly more monster than person, and I didn’t see him evolving anytime soon.

So I prayed daily instead for someone to come along and beat the crap out of him or run him over with their truck at least.

Anyway, that was a long time ago and I don’t know what became of Jerry, or care.  He either dropped out of school or was expelled, but he disappeared sometime in 11th grade.  (Maybe he jumped back in the primordial soup.)  I thought (more like hoped) I’d never feel this way about someone again, but darn it, I do.  And the sooner THIS one disappears—be it prison, Russia or with Jimmy Hoffa—the better.

14 comments:

  1. Too bad he was such an arse. Ass. Good riddance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh he's ancient history--I'm just waiting for THIS one to vamoose :)

      Delete
  2. I am hoping for karma for the so-called "president" and also for his minions. Although it probably won't happen, I dream of justice finding them and beating them over the head or biting them in their as*es.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Margaret I think I'll frame or bronze this response, thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Somehow I feel there is someone somewhere telling a very similar story as you just did about Jerry only his brutish bully was named Donald. They just don't grow into nice human beings. There is karma though. Look at Donald and how hated he is which is killer to someone who so desperately wants to be adored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti, I know this is a tired topic, I just had this overwhelming desire to share how I felt. I sure hope you're right about karma, I don't wish harm on Donald (like I did with Jerry), just a conscience-that would be punishment enough.

      Delete
  4. I wonder what might have happened if Jerry had actually broken your arm? I don't recall any bullies as bad as that in school here, there probably were on or two, but I never crossed paths with any and I don't think anyone else I knew did either.
    I think there is going to be a "sea to shining sea" sigh of relief when the current bully-in-charge leaves the white house and the new leader moves in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well River, for all I know Jetty might've hurt someone else bad enough to be expelled...I'll never know or care to know. But yes I will join a lot of others when it comes to that sigh of relief in a few weeks!

      Delete
  5. I am holding my breath that there will be no problems getting that loser to leave. I enjoyed (well, that's not quite the right word) hearing about that awful bully in your class. And I do hope he ended up getting help before he really hurt someone. Even if that help means he was locked up. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much DJan, I know Trump is a worn out topic but I came to the conclusion there is absolutely nothing worth redeeming of this man or his joke of a presidency--NOTHING--and it just put me in mind of that bully from 50 years old who was beyond any kind of turnaround. I wish ill of neither, I just hope both got (or get) what's coming to 'em!

      Delete
  6. Dug, it's strange but although I was never a victim of a bully, I feel such.. (don't know what word to use here - maybe 'anger' will do) towards this man who has made such a mess of his term as head of the US. IMO he is not only an embarrassment, but a threat to our democracy. I find it so difficult to see what 'anyone' could possibly see in him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said Rian, an embarrassment long enough who DID become a threat! You took the words right out of my mouth, thank you. And I'm glad to hear you were never bullied...well, before this last 4 years, I mean!

      Delete
  7. I’m glad that Don The Con will be leaving soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes! That Jerry probably ended up in prison or got shot. What a thoroughly vile human being. As for Donald... I can’t wait for it to be over. I can’t believe he’s got so many supporters. What does that show about half our country. He is as bad as Jerry.... trouble is, he has power.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.