Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Let the Christmas Card games begin! Well, the ones in my head I mean

It’s that time of year again… the skies are cold & gray here in Pittsburgh, it’s already the second week of December and I need to get my tookus in gear.  Time to set out my ceramic Christmas tree, put some holiday music on the radio, make my first cup of hot cocoa (with last winter’s Swiss Miss mix—cough) and get down on the floor to work on Christmas cards.

I’ve always done ‘em on the floor, laying on my stomach.  I like having a 10 foot by 12 foot desk.

To be honest, the older I get the more I wonder if I should even be doing this.  A lot of people just don’t do xmas cards anymore.  And I get it, Christmas cards are so 20th century.  

I try to make them worth opening, I don’t just sign them or worse yet, send those ones with a stamped name.  I always try to think of something personal to write and include something goofy, like a doodle.  And you may not believe it, but just because I send YOU one doesn’t mean I expect one back. 

(But if I don’t get one back for 2-3 years, I take that as a hint and drop you off my list!)

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always followed a weird set of rules traditions.  I always buy my cards the Monday after Thanksgiving; you know, the worst day of the year.  I always do Aunt Dena’s card first because hers gets a handwritten letter inside, it’s the only way we’ve kept in touch for as long as I can remember. 

I do Salvation Army and my niece Sophia’s cards next, because they get checks.  (I know checks are 20th century too, but I don’t hear anyone complaining.)

I don’t like sending boxed cards, so I wind up getting mad at myself.  “Doug, these 4 cards are going to need two stamps each, what were you thinking?”  and “Doug you know you liked this red robin’s card best so why’d you buy only one?  Dammit, answer me!” 

I also force myself to buy no more than 25.  Twenty years ago I was out of control, sending out 55-60 a year.  It’s the 21st century now, I’m a single man who’s almost 60 years old and retired.  I don’t know that many people anymore.  I don’t WANT to know that many people anymore.

Still, every year I manage to get 2 or 3 cards from people who weren’t on my list (or was and I forgot), so I wind up running back out at the last minute to buy more, while giving myself a good talking-to along the way.  I never listen.

Every year I set out a favorite card I got from the year before, I hate seeing a good card go to waste!  This first one is a Star Wars card from my friend Erin last Christmas, the one on my refrigerator was a photo montage of kids & grandkids from my sister Shawn.  I liked it so much, it stayed there all year

And finally, there’s a couple of people I send cards to (and always get cards back) that I haven’t seen or spoken to in many, many years.  It’d be one thing if they were family, but… do you have anyone like that on your own lists?

Rick from my Omega Systems consulting days, and Tina from my time at GNCorp.  We’ve had ZERO contact (other than xmas cards) since the mid-1990s.  Guys, c’mon!  It’s been 25 years!  I tried moving on by not sending either one a card for 2-3 years, but they persisted so I was guilted back into sending.  This year is going to be the last year you get a card from me guys, okay?!

Yeah I know; I said the same thing last year.  I’d better get started on these cards!


20 comments:

  1. Well, I admire the number of stamps you use every year. Must cost a lot. I prefer emailed newsletters plus a family photo. If they have no internet, then I send them the stuff via snail mail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Gigi, you keep up with the times, it seems more & more people do it your way. I'll get there eventually :^)

      Delete
  2. Wow, Doug! That is A LOT of cards!! In my later years, I only sent cards to overseas friends. Since they've now passed away, I've stopped mailing Christmas cards entirely. I still e-mail a few greetings and receive a few snail mail ones. No doubt your card recipients appreciate your thoughtfulness. Oh, and by the way, "Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year" to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Florence, I'm beginning to feel like the Card King I was in the '90s! I envy you (but doggone it I like getting cards too, haha). Thank you for the kind wishes and I hope I talk to you again before then, but if I don't, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you too, my dear friend :)

      Delete
  3. Oh Dug, I admire your persistence. We used to send dozens of Christmas cards, but slowly dropped down to about 20... mostly family and close friends. This year we may bite the bullet and go to email cards since we aren't getting out to buy things. Guess you can buy Xmas cards online, but not sure I want to. It's a shame as we used to string up the cards we received and it made a nice Xmas decoration. Cards are so pretty - I hate throwing them away. Should be some use for them. We do keep the photograph cards we get and it's fun to see how the people and the kids have changed over the years. Enjoy your card sending - and don't hurt your back on the floor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rian! (And I think you're psychic, I just got up off the floor a few minutes ago to stretch and get a cup of coffee, and YES I can feel it in the back!) Anyway, I may be going the email card route as well soon, unless I can get these down to say, a dozen. And BTW, I took it out because my blog was getting too long but I remember when I was growing up it seemed like we got a couple hundred--we hung them everywhere! Thanks for your interesting comment, I sure hope you have a healthy, happy Christmas :)

      Delete
  4. I was one of those 60+ Christmas card people. I always sent a family photo and a newsletter, often with a personal (but short) message scribbled on it. Then my husband died 8 years ago in December, so I didn't send out any cards. After that, I decided to do New Year's cards instead which has served me well. I get better photos for the card and I'm not working on them during a time when I don't feel very festive. I like your system and have had the same talks with myself! (never works)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, I'm sorry the loss of your husband at this time changed your traditions, but I like how you managed to put a positive spin on it. Hmm, I like the idea of New Years cards. Well, I know you're having a rough time right now because of covid and your grandson so distant, I still hope you manage to have a happy Christmas. :)

      Delete
  5. We do the photo and newsletter thing which I thought was more old school than cards until I read your comment above. We don't get many newsletters in return but I always enjoy reading them and so I guess that is why I continue to write them. For us it is a family process. I write the newsletter and address the envelopes. My wife writes a personalized message on the newsletter and decides who gets one or the other or both. My oldest daughter stuffs and seals the envelopes and the youngest daughter puts the stamp and return address label on them. In all it takes us an hour but I have always enjoyed thinking of others while doing it so it is always enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoyed getting those family newsletters too Ed, I'm surprised more people don't do that, I wish they would--good for you (and your whole family doing their part), it honestly sounds really nice. :)

      Delete
  6. I am one of those backsliders. Use to send cards and hand written notes mainly because snail mail was the main option for reaching out. Now with electronics and ease of communication, I slowed to a dribble and then stopped. Was a bit sad when I just got a card from a long time friend and the usual busy full page Christmas letter was reduced to one small paragraph due to Covid. They traveled no where and visited no one this year. I subscribe to Jacquie Lawson to send animated e-cards just to say Hi. Still you can't put those on the mantle.
    Keep doing what you are doing Doug. I am sure you are brightening the recipients day when they open your card. It is more than a card. You are sending warm smiles and gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patti, thanks so much for what you said (about my sending cards), but I honestly don't blame you one bit for hanging up your paper-card belt :) I've seen mine go from 60 to less than half that in the last 10-15 years, who knows how many I'll be sending in another 10 years. BTW my dear friend... you write some of the nicest messages I've ever seen. Whenever you do a blog and get 30-40 comments, I always enjoy reading them and all your feedback too. Not many people take the time to do what you do. :)

      Delete
  7. Well, the weather is warming up – not just warming up, it's getting damn hot. That can only mean one thing: Christmas is nigh. Time to start chilling the champagne and white wine.
    Okay, it’s probably a bit early for that as I’ll probably get into them before the big day.
    One thing that came from having my neck broken was no one expected Christmas cards. “That was easy”, I thought at the time, and decided not to send any last year. I’ll continue the “tradition” his year.
    I remember back in the seventies I put up a “tree”. Tree is in quotes as it was something of my own concoction that vaguely, very vaguely, resembled a tree. It stayed up for two and a half years before I removed it. I haven’t bothered since.
    You may gather from all this that I am of the “bah humbug” school of Christmas. You’d be right.
    Peter (once the MM)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha--Peter, I may not be as humbuggish as yours truly, but I get what you're saying, I'm an over 50 bachelor same as you!! People come into my apartment "Aw Doug, is this your only decorations?" like my little tree is a sad thing--it's not, I know it & you know it too Music Man :)

      Delete
  8. Kudos for lying on the floor AND being able to get back up!
    I still send Christmas Cards, but only to family and I'm not the chatty, newsy type so all I ever write is stuff like "have a wonderful Christmas", and they are all okay with that. The grandkids get gift cards in theirs, but the adults just get cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. River, that sounds nice what you do--I should do the same, I just like to go on too much I think :)

      Delete
  9. Christmas cards? That really is SO last century. Not that people you send them to don't appreciate them, I'm sure. I haven't sent out cards for twenty years and I still receive a handful every year. I read them and sometimes display them for a week or so, but my life has become digital in just about every sense. Snail mail is not my preferred mode of communication. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DJan, you almost made me snort my coffee out of my nose. I hardly know you, but I still know you well enough to guess you'd see this and see me as an antique! Maybe I'll make this my New Years resolution, to join the rest of you in the 21st century :) (Still not ready to wear that future-watch of yours though)

      Delete
  10. I am guilty of riding on the coattails of my wife's Christmas cards. She sends about 80, down from close to 100 a few years ago. I help lick and stamp (in case you're wondering why she still keeps me around).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 80 cards! Tom, I knew I liked you but I thought it was just for your fine writing, my friend :) Finally, a kindred spirit!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad to hear from you and appreciate the time you take to comment.